PDA

View Full Version : TS Feedback search

Tim Clark
04-27-2006, 8:28 AM
I'm investigating the multitude of available cabinet saws out there and I think I've narrowed it down some.

I'm a retired home shop DIYer with a passion for sawdust and am gearing (and learning) up for a complete remodel of my mid 70's modular ranch. I'll be making the cabs, and much of the trim work as well as furniture. My shop (about 400 sq.ft.) is in the basement with walk out access. Running electrical is well within my ability.

I've got my eye (and expected wallet capacity) on the Grizz G1023SL (or SLX, I like the extra rip capacity work surface it provides). When I compared it to other similarly appointed TSs I was amazed at the price differences.
I can get the 1023sl delivered to my driveway (w/liftgate) for just under $1100. (the SLX is around $1400)
The General 50-250 (I think it's pretty close to the 1023SL) at the dealer 2 hours away will set me back about $1700 (plus Tx).
A Delta from Amazon is around $1200 plus S&H. A 36-730 is the closest I could see from the Delta (2003-2004) catalogue but it wasn't listed at Amazon.

I tried to compare apples to apples but being new I may have (probably did) missed something in specs. So if you know of a closer model to compare the 1023 to I'ld like to see it. Especially if I can get a price on-line.

I've seen nothing but good vibes on the forums for the Grizz ,some mixed reviews on Delta and some postive comments on the General line. I haven't seen any Jets or PMs that aren't way out of my price range.

I've been watching and reading TS (and tools in general) comments when see I them here and at other forums and have found your insights very valuable. That is why I'm really leaning toward the Grizz right now. I will be calling Grizz CS for a local owner I can visit to get eyes (and yes, hands) on one. I'm in Maine so the showroom isn't an option. My only question to you is this. Can anyone tell me anything not so postive (other than Taiwan) about the G1023?

I won't be pulling the trigger on this for a couple more months so I'm really not in any rush.

Thanks in advance for your help and comments.

Steve Clardy
04-27-2006, 11:43 AM
Got my 1023 in 1994. Very good saw

Rob Bodenschatz
04-27-2006, 11:55 AM
Keep in mind that Amazon has their 10% off sale through May 8th. Could save you some coin if you order from them.

EDIT: That discount wouldn't apply to Grizzly items, though. Would need to be sold by Amazon.

Frank Pellow
04-27-2006, 1:27 PM
Keep in mind that Amazon has their 10% off sale through May 8th. Could save you some coin if you order from them.

But, be aware that there have been a lot of complaints recently about long delays with items that folks have purchased from Amazon. :(

Tim Clark
04-27-2006, 2:21 PM
But, be aware that there have been a lot of complaints recently about long delays with items that folks have purchased from Amazon. :(

I don't think I'll have the moolah in time for that one. I'm anticipating June/July before I can pull the trigger. Waiting on the VA to up my disability from 80% to 100%. It'll pay back to Dec (when I filed) and give me a very generous pay raise each month.

So are there any negative feedbacks on the 1023? So far the everyday price, standard features and performance are in favor of the Grizz.

scott spencer
04-27-2006, 2:54 PM
Hi Tim - About the only downside to the 1023 are the mail order issues. Most people love the saw itself. A buddy of mine has had one for about 6 years now. It's seen commercial use the past 2 years, and was seeing pretty heavy amateur use before he went pro. Before the GI 50-260 jumped $400, I used to think it was a good alternative to the 1023 b/c of the dealer support....at $1700, they can keep it! :rolleyes:

Shop Fox is a sister company to Grizzly and has models that are extremely similar to the 1023 available through dealers. Have you checked your area for availability?

Mark Pruitt
04-27-2006, 3:46 PM
Here (http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=961-409) is a Delta Unisaw I recently purchased from WWS for 1600. Price included a mobile base and shipping was free. I had my eyes on the G1023slx and intended to purchase it until I saw this deal. Don't know how you feel about mobile bases but I can't do without them. Add a MB to the 1023slx and that's an extra 140. Figure in shipping cost and the price of the Griz is only 70 less than the Delta. Grizzly sells good equipment for sure; I currently have a Griz drill press and jointer and have always found their prducts and service satisfactory. But for only 70 more, I couldn't turn down a Uni.

BTW, the saw shipped the day after I placed my order. Got here quickly.

Tim Clark
04-27-2006, 3:56 PM
Actually, I haven't searched for Shop Fox yet. I do remember in a very recent thread that they were priced a bit higher than Grizz. Probably due to a dealer network and middle man mark ups.

And yes, I was stunned when the dealer said $1700 for the 50-250 and with nothing between it and the 50-220 either. That's quite a jump from $700. Took me a second to catch my breath. Getting a Bies clone is nice and all but hey, the Grizz comes with the SF Classic which is also a Bies clone. The only negative words I've seen on them is the little plastic curser is too far from the scale (just this week).

The quality of Grizz being as good as it is though I think I can handle the mail order part. If that's the only downside to it then I'm pretty much decided on it. I just got a local reference for a G1023SL owner nearby (a pro) who I'll give a jingle and go have a looksee sometime soon.

If someone knows of any other "buyer beware" on the Grizz please pass it on.

Dev Emch
04-27-2006, 4:57 PM
Everyone gets praise for recueing a pound puppy from sure death at the animal shelter. How about doing the same with a table saw. There are plenty of used ones out there like greenlees, olivers, tannewitz, whitney, etc. that are insane high quality saws in need of a new home, a spritz of new jazzy paint and a loving owner willing to teach an old dog new tricks. These saws will not disappoint!

Larry Cooke
04-27-2006, 6:14 PM
Everyone gets praise for recueing a pound puppy from sure death at the animal shelter. How about doing the same with a table saw.Dev,

The more I look at the newer saws the more I'd like to rescue an older saw. I've been looking in the local want-ads and craigs list but I have yet to find any in my neck of the woods. Any suggestions for the southwest?

Tim,

I was real close to pulling the trigger on a 1023SLX. If my efforts to find an older saw fails me, that's probably what I'm going to buy. I know it's a great saw from what everyone that owns them say. I'm sure you'd be very happy with it. Don't pay attention to my wanting to rescue a saw, I'm the tinkering type and the more I think about it, the more I want take an older saw and restore/paint it to suit me. If it were just how much I was spending and needed something out of the box then it would be the grizzly or maybe possibly a Unisaw (I'm nervous about the Delta though due to some minor complaints about fit and finish...)

Larry

Tim Clark
04-27-2006, 7:02 PM
I "hear" ya Larry and Dev.

I like to tinker too but I really need a saw I can start using right away. SWMBO has warned me about another "project" buy before the bath and kitchen are done. I really want to rescue a really old Uni but will wait til I've earned some points with momma san first.

To my surprise after an inquiry to Woodstock CS I find that a Shop Fox is not only within my reach but actually LESS than a Grizzly. I can get a W1677ext1 from the "Utterguys" for $1229 and Tool Coral for $1249. That beats the G1023slx ($1421 from Grizzly) by a couple bucks. I think I'll have to P/U at the terminal though vs. curbside with liftgate from Grizz (an extra $32). I think utterguys charge $75 for L/G delivery from what I read at their "bay" store. Still beats the Grizz by better than $100.

A M/B isn't a big priority for me. I plan to park it and leave at set-up.

I guess the next Question is about the service from those two sources.

Dev Emch
04-27-2006, 8:46 PM
Dev,

The more I look at the newer saws the more I'd like to rescue an older saw. I've been looking in the local want-ads and craigs list but I have yet to find any in my neck of the woods. Any suggestions for the southwest?

Tim,

I was real close to pulling the trigger on a 1023SLX. If my efforts to find an older saw fails me, that's probably what I'm going to buy. I know it's a great saw from what everyone that owns them say. I'm sure you'd be very happy with it. Don't pay attention to my wanting to rescue a saw, I'm the tinkering type and the more I think about it, the more I want take an older saw and restore/paint it to suit me. If it were just how much I was spending and needed something out of the box then it would be the grizzly or maybe possibly a Unisaw (I'm nervous about the Delta though due to some minor complaints about fit and finish...)

Larry

Just keep at it. Check all the usual places and then check in with the one or two man cabinet shops. Some of these guys are super hard core and are buying, selling and trading all the time. The first thing you need to do is study and do your homework. Find out what you want and then figure out where you need to go to find it. And it doesn't hurt to have some truckdriver buddies who can hook you up with gas money LTL loads!:D LTL of Wisonsin provides some pretty good service as well. They can get into and out of WI and most parts of southern MI. And you would be blown away by what they have up there. The apple didnt fall far from the tree as they say... (Grand Rapids reference for those who dont know).

CPeter James
04-27-2006, 9:04 PM
Tim, Where in Maine are you located? There are several good tool stores in the area and if you let me know, I could steer you towards one. Western Tool in Auburn is good and the manager is very knowledgeable and very helpful. Also have you checked "Uncle Henry's" classified? There are some good buys in there and lastly, check the Guild of New Hampshire Woodworkers web site about membership. They publish a 32 page newsletter 5 times a year that has some killer deals on used tools. I bought a PM66 in outstanding condition for $1,000 last year and the deal included a Forrest WWII and a full surround table and storage cabinet.

CPeter
http://members.localnet.com/~cpjvkj/pm66.jpg

Tim Clark
04-27-2006, 10:08 PM
I'm in Bangor and the Western Toy guys know me by name now. I subscribe to UH online and I'm e-pawing through it everyday.

Nice rig you got there.

As for the "homework" I say AMEN brotha! I hadn't considered the small cab shops but, I'll be making my aquaintence soon. And I'm going through "that auction site" and craigslist daily and refining my searches. There's always a deal there just not one that's close enough or right now cheap enough. I figure that also qualifies as homework. I will definately know what stuff costs when I finally make the deal.

With all the great help form posts and PMs I'm getting more info to check and facts to fill my feeble head. Again, I'm concentrating on fully plug-n-play for now with a heart for restoring something later. I do apreciate all your help. I knew I could count on you guys.

CPeter James
04-28-2006, 6:43 AM
BTW, I know where there is a pristine Powermatic 8" jointer for sale if you are in the market. The price is very reasonable. Email me if you are interested. This is a USA made machine and opnly used in a home shop. One owner.

CPeter

Hank Keller
04-28-2006, 12:21 PM
Tim-
I had ordered the 1023SL with the router table however it was on back order until the end of may. I got impatient, cancelled the order and ordered just the 1023SL, then the router table extension kit separately and got both in 4 days with the liftgate service. It cost me an extra $200 but at least I can start the 3 projects I have lined up.
Hank

Tim Clark
04-28-2006, 4:11 PM
You know CPeter,

Now that I think about it I really think they saw you comin on that saw deal of yours. I'll come down this weekend and take that poor old thing off your hands for you. :D

Vaughn McMillan
04-28-2006, 4:36 PM
Tim, based on my experience with the 14" Shop Fox bandsaw (a dressed-up cousin to the Grizzly G0555), I'm guessing you'd be very happy with the Shop Fox table saw. I think a lot of people shy away from Shop Fox when they see the MSRP on their tools, not realizing that many of the dealers are willing to "deal" a bit on the price.

- Vaughn

CPeter James
04-28-2006, 5:08 PM
Tim, I sold my old 12" saw up in Maine for the price of the fence, $300 and that included a custom made mobile base. That beast weighted about 800 pounds and was deadly accurate.

At the same time I bought the saw, I also goat a DJ20 jointer, a Supermax 25x2 sander, and two other jet sanders, a 6x 89 belt and a soft drum/brush sander

CPeter

Tim Clark
04-28-2006, 7:14 PM
Thanks Vaughn,

I found the utterguys store on "that auction site" and the W1677EXT1 is $17.25 less than the G1023SLX delivered w/liftgate service. Now, if I can just find that price when the money is here and I'm ready to pounce.

Somebody got a heck of a deal there CPeter.

While I'm thinking of it, has anyone had dealings with the utterguys or toolcoral?

Russ Massery
04-28-2006, 9:43 PM
Shopfox & Grizzly basically come out of the same house. A friend bought though them(Utterguys) no problems. If you can get the shopfox for less go for it. I've had the 1023SL for 3 years now I'm very happy with it.