PDA

View Full Version : PowerPoint Question

Peter Stahl
04-27-2006, 6:26 AM
I have a slide show that someone sent me and I wanted to copy the pictures off of it. What I did was open it with PP so I could access each slide but of 15 slides 4 can't be copied. Is there a way to protect a individual slide somehow so it can't be changed. There was a text box on these slide pages but I removed them. Anything I should look at? Thanks for any help.

Pete

Ed Frie
04-27-2006, 7:55 AM
Have you tried right clicking on the picture and select "save as picture" option, then save it to your drive and then try to work with it? I don't know if it would work, but maybe worth a try.:)

Mark Pruitt
04-27-2006, 8:05 AM
Two suggestions. First, open a new presentation. Goback to the one your friend sent, open the slide with the desired picture and "drag" the picture to the new presentation icon on the taskbar, then while keeping your mouse button pressed, drag the picture into a new slide. If that will not work, there is a more crude way that will work. Open the ppt with the desired picture. Run the slide show until the desired picture appears. Hold the shift key down and hit the Print Screen key. Doing this will copy the slide to the clipboard. You should then be able to open a new presentation and paste the image into a new slide.

Hope this helps.

Peter Stahl
04-27-2006, 9:40 AM
Have you tried right clicking on the picture and select "save as picture" option, then save it to your drive and then try to work with it? I don't know if it would work, but maybe worth a try.:)

Ed,

When I do a right click on the 4 I can't copy the menu that pops up, nothing is highlighted.

Peter Stahl
04-27-2006, 9:45 AM
Two suggestions. First, open a new presentation. Goback to the one your friend sent, open the slide with the desired picture and "drag" the picture to the new presentation icon on the taskbar, then while keeping your mouse button pressed, drag the picture into a new slide. If that will not work, there is a more crude way that will work. Open the ppt with the desired picture. Run the slide show until the desired picture appears. Hold the shift key down and hit the Print Screen key. Doing this will copy the slide to the clipboard. You should then be able to open a new presentation and paste the image into a new slide.

Hope this helps.

Mark,

I can't drag or do anything but remove the text box on that slide. Also 4 are scattered among the 15, not like it's 4 that are grouped together. Guess I'll have to resort to the print screen method if I can't figure this out.

Jerry Vander Till
04-27-2006, 12:32 PM
Peter,

It's possible there is another frame of some type in front of the picture. See if you can highlight the picture or frame or whatever is there and "Move to Back". If you still can't copy the picture, repeat the "Move to Back" until you can.

It's worth a shot...:rolleyes:

Mark Pruitt
04-27-2006, 1:09 PM
Peter,

It's possible there is another frame of some type in front of the picture. See if you can highlight the picture or frame or whatever is there and "Move to Back". If you still can't copy the picture, repeat the "Move to Back" until you can.

It's worth a shot...:rolleyes:

For that matter, if there is a frame (or anything else) sitting in front of the picture, then you should theoretically be able to click on it and hit the delete key. That would nix the "frame" and make the picture accessible. I hadn't thought of that earlier.

Peter Stahl
04-27-2006, 1:56 PM
For that matter, if there is a frame (or anything else) sitting in front of the picture, then you should theoretically be able to click on it and hit the delete key. That would nix the "frame" and make the picture accessible. I hadn't thought of that earlier.

I think what it is with a few of the pictures is that someone put them in as background color which it's actually a picture. I think that's why there isn't any thing to click on to copy or delete. Any ideas how to save the background as a picture (.bmp or .jpg)?

Thanks everyone for your help so far!

Mark Pruitt
04-27-2006, 3:25 PM
I think what it is with a few of the pictures is that someone put them in as background color which it's actually a picture. I think that's why there isn't any thing to click on to copy or delete. Any ideas how to save the background as a picture (.bmp or .jpg)?

Thanks everyone for your help so far!

AHA!!!! I have skiined the cat, conquered the beast, trapped the fox, whatever!:D :D :D :D

Here's what you do: You're saying that you have the desired picture as a slide background rather than a capture-able image. OK. Create a blank slide with the desired image as the background. Run slide show. When you have the image on the screen, hold down the shift key and hit Print Screen. Now, open Microsoft Paint (included with any Windows system). Click Edit, Paste. There's your pic, ready to be saved as a JPEG.

I just hate it when computers are kicking my butt, that's why I revel so much when I figure out tricks like this. I know some IS guy somewhere is laughing his head off at me, but so what? I'm having fun.:D :D :D

Let us know if this works for you.

Peter Stahl
04-27-2006, 5:24 PM
AHA!!!! I have skiined the cat, conquered the beast, trapped the fox, whatever!:D :D :D :D

Here's what you do: You're saying that you have the desired picture as a slide background rather than a capture-able image. OK. Create a blank slide with the desired image as the background. Run slide show. When you have the image on the screen, hold down the shift key and hit Print Screen. Now, open Microsoft Paint (included with any Windows system). Click Edit, Paste. There's your pic, ready to be saved as a JPEG.

I just hate it when computers are kicking my butt, that's why I revel so much when I figure out tricks like this. I know some IS guy somewhere is laughing his head off at me, but so what? I'm having fun.:D :D :D

Let us know if this works for you.

Thanks Mark,

That's pretty much what I thought I would have to do. You can add any picture you want for a background but there is no way to cut or copy it once it's a background. Weird that whoever made this slide show did just those couple that way, Oh well! I attached one of the pictures from the slide show. Picture was a bitmap pic at ~1,500 kb shrunk to about 23 kb.

Thanks everyone again for your help.

Mark Pruitt
04-28-2006, 8:35 AM
That's a nice pic. I can see why you wanted to save it. Glad it worked.

Tim Armstrong
04-28-2006, 2:12 PM
Peter, It sounds like the pictures you are trying to grab may be on the master slide. If you can't seem to click them at all in the regular edit screen, then you may have to go in to view the "Master" slide.

Try going up top to "View" then "Master" then "Slide Master" - that will take you into the area where people create those background images that go under each slide. There may be more than one Master slide so just try going to the one that has the pics you want and grab them from there. Hope that works - let us know.

Cheers
Tim

Peter Stahl
04-28-2006, 2:41 PM
Peter, It sounds like the pictures you are trying to grab may be on the master slide. If you can't seem to click them at all in the regular edit screen, then you may have to go in to view the "Master" slide.

Try going up top to "View" then "Master" then "Slide Master" - that will take you into the area where people create those background images that go under each slide. There may be more than one Master slide so just try going to the one that has the pics you want and grab them from there. Hope that works - let us know.

Cheers
Tim

Tim,

I don't think this is a Master Slide, it's a background picture you can add to any slide. Below are directions for creating a background picture.

Here are the steps for creating the background. Right click in a empty slide, in the drop down menu go to Background. When the background window pops up, click the dropdown arrow under box in the center. When this opens select Fill Effects.... Now click the Picture tab at the top, click Select Picture... button and browse to the picture file you want to insert and hit ok. Hit ok again, then Apply. The background will now be your picture.

Pete