View Full Version : Combination square/ identification

Doug Jones
08-26-2003, 6:38 PM
My grandfather gave me this com. square, How can I tell what brand it is, or can I. It has no markings on it other than the measurements it has a bubble level in it also, on the bottom it looks as if something was attatched to it but its gone now. The whole thing is of heavy metal not plastic like a lot of are today I thought maybe someone could tell by looking.

Again TIA for any help, Doug

Kevin Gerstenecker
08-26-2003, 7:28 PM
Doug, I have 3 or 4 of these combo. squares laying around. The ones I have look identical to the one you have. I am not sure of the Manufacturer, as they have no markings either, except one has the Stanley Mark. 2 of the ones I have still have the Steel Rule in them, and the rule is VERY heavy duty.........probably twice as thick as the ones you see now days. The small hole in the bottom contained a small scratch awl that was used for scribing/marking lines. Most of these come loose and get lost over time. 2 of the ones I have still have the scribing tool with them. The Scribing Tool was an inch or so long, with a small, knurled brass head. I am not sure how old they are myself..............2 I received from my Dad, and the others I picked up at various sales over the years.

Angelo Schembari
08-29-2003, 11:29 AM

I have 3 combo squares, 2 are craftsman, one is Starrett. The 2 craftsman have the heart design around the lock knob. One of these is as high a quality as the starrett, and is marked craftsman #4.

If its square, use it!

harry strasil
08-30-2003, 5:07 AM
I think you will find that most combination squares have no name other than the one on the rule part or blade