PDA

View Full Version : Fulton plane

Doug Jones
08-26-2003, 6:27 PM
Just a quick ??? I picked up a Fulton plane is it any good? (I know nothing about planes but want to start to learn how to use one) I got it at a yard sale for a dollar. Well at least the blade on it says "Fulton warrented" on it so I think it is a fulton plane. the whole thing is about the size of my hand, finger tip to palm.

Any information on this is helpful.
TIA, Doug

harry strasil
08-30-2003, 5:44 AM
Doug- there is a world of difference in planes, but most any plane that is tuned( sharpened) right will do quality work. Its just that some have a different feel to them. Feel is something that comes from using a tool and will come with use over a period of time. Most people when they sharpen a plane move the plane blade only one way on the stone (back and forth with the length of the blade), if you were to look at the cutting edge under a microscope after sharpening this way, the very edge will look like the teeth in a hair comb and have a tendency to tear the grain, I prefer a circular motion on the stone and finish after the fine stone on the rough side of a piece of leather to remove any wire burrs and then on the slick side of the leather that has had jewelers rougue applied to it, this process is called stroping, after stroping the very edge will have a mirror finish and will push easier and cut cleaner. An old candle or a piece of beeswax applied as a wavy line on the sole(bottom) of the plane will make it slide much easier also. This is my way of sharpening(tuning) a plane and will probably raise a little contraversy as to its content, but that is what this site is about, finding out different, easier and sometimes better ways to do something. I use this method on both sets of my tools. One set consists of all wood planes for mid 1800's demos and the other set is for a later time early 1900's. I do have a few all metal planes, but most are specialty planes, 40,45 ,50, 55,72,79,90,95,112,113,140, 148 etc. good luck in your endeavor. I was lucky enough to pick up a stanley 45 type 2 for $20 without blades and was lucky enough to find a junk box at another place with the necessary parts that were missing to have a complete plane now.

Marc Hills
09-01-2003, 6:44 AM
jr. strasil,
[QUOTE=This is my way of sharpening(tuning) a plane and will probably raise a little contraversy as to its content, but that is what this site is about, finding out different, easier and sometimes better ways to do something.]

I've only been at this for a while, but I've found sharpening technique to one just about the most controversial topic in this hobby. I've finally come to the conclusion that there's more than one way to skin a cat and if it works for you, then go for it.

Your method doesn't seem so radical to me. After finishing up with my fine stone, I move on to a piece of leather with a rough nap and strop with a bit of polishing compound, followed by a piece of finer nap leather with car finish scratch/swirl remover. Both products came from an auto parts store and I'm sure were never intended for sharpening hand tools. It works for me.