PDA

View Full Version : Tablesaw wont turn off

John Hedges
04-26-2006, 4:25 PM
I have a Delta contractors saw (36-680 about 1.5 yrs old). Last weekend I finished making a cut and hit the off switch. Funny thing was the saw kept running. I tried the switch few more times and the same result. Finally had to go over to the plug and pull it. Tore the switch apart and everything was there seemed fine. plugged it back in with the same result. Anyone know what would cause this to happen. Don't really want to keep plugging and unplugging the saw to turn it off and on.

Tyler Howell
04-26-2006, 4:29 PM
More info John. Is this a magnetic switch??
Did it come on after exploritory surgery right away when you plugged it in or after you pushed the ON switch???

Scott Loven
04-26-2006, 4:32 PM
I would think that it would have to be the switch, it is supposed to open and leave a break in the circuit.

Michael Ballent
04-26-2006, 4:48 PM
I have to agree that something is not working right with the switch... is the TS still under warranty? I would not even use the saw until you get that corrected.

Dev Emch
04-26-2006, 5:48 PM
I have seen this problem before. Most likely caused by a sticking relay contactor esp. if the contactor is not a gravity drop allen bradley type. Cheaper contactors and european contactors often use springs to pull the coil core back on power disconnect. If the coil core is sticking, your off switch will do no good.

Michael Ballent
04-26-2006, 7:05 PM
Dev, do you think that the problem is in motor? If he is hitting the off switch and it's not pwering off I would think that the switch is bad, but you have way more experience in these things than I do :D

I have seen this problem before. Most likely caused by a sticking relay contactor esp. if the contactor is not a gravity drop allen bradley type. Cheaper contactors and european contactors often use springs to pull the coil core back on power disconnect. If the coil core is sticking, your off switch will do no good.

John Hedges
04-26-2006, 7:12 PM
Tyler, it is not a Mag switch. Under the recommendation I called Delta CS and they are sending me a new one. I guess if it goes out again after the warranty expires I'll just have to explain to my wife that I have to upgrade to a cab saw :D

Alan Tolchinsky
04-26-2006, 9:20 PM
I had the switch go bad on mine with the same saw. It's just a simple double pole switch that's not too robust. Mine fell apart internally and I installed a new one under warranty. You can convert this switch from single to double pole for 220 conversion as I have done. Oh, and my Delta lathe had the same switch and yes it broke too. :(

Dev Emch
04-26-2006, 9:49 PM
I had the switch go bad on mine with the same saw. It's just a simple double pole switch that's not too robust. Mine fell apart internally and I installed a new one under warranty. You can convert this switch from single to double pole for 220 conversion as I have done. Oh, and my Delta lathe had the same switch and yes it broke too. :(

Hmmmmm, interersting.

Tyler Howell
04-27-2006, 10:55 AM
Congrats John,
Love that warrenty work.:cool:

Steve Beadle
04-27-2006, 11:24 AM
A ghost, maybe?
Have you tried running a hot dog against the blade? No, wait--that's not a Saw Stop. :)

Duan Packard
04-27-2006, 5:44 PM
Have had similar problem with the Delta switch on my jointer which is about 5 yrs old and on its second switch. Started acting up again last week. I am begining to think it something to do with the removable safety thingy in the middle of the switch.
Will probably be looking for an alternative switch as Delta's are expensive esp after adding shipping and handling.

Duan

Scott Coffelt
04-27-2006, 6:07 PM
Grizzly sells a number of replacement switches that would fit or I would opt for a magnetic switch. Also provides better safety in the invent of a power failure, won't turn back on automatically.

Rick Thom
04-27-2006, 7:51 PM
I agree with Scott wrt magnetic switch. My saw does not have one which I know I should remedy. Perhaps this safety feature should be required of all manufacturers.