PDA

View Full Version : Been busy lately - pics

Dennis Peacock
04-26-2006, 1:17 AM
Greetings,

Sorry I haven't been around much lately, but I've been busy getting stuff made for customers as well as making stuff for my lathe. ;)

Here's my latest adventure. Never thought I'd be making stuff out of steel, wood, aluminum, and plastic.:rolleyes: :eek:

First three pics are my new bowl steady (Design and idea by Travis Stinson and Jim Ketron). This is going to make turning those bowls on the inside during finish turning really sweet and solid. It's also to be used during my hollow form turning as well. ;)

Let me say that I owe a lot to Jim Ketron and Travis Stinson for helping me with the various aspects of my woodturning. Jim's "Jimverine" grinding jig and Travis' "Bowl Steady" design. Thanks fellers!!!!

The last pic is my making of a laser pointer setup for the Jamieson HF rig. It may not be purdy, but it will be inexpensive if it works like I hope it will. :D

Jim Davenport
04-26-2006, 3:25 AM
Dennis, that's a great looking steady rest. From what I can see in the photo's You did an excellent job on fitting the angles, and the welds.
What did you weld it with?
What size is the square tube?
I don't understand how the Laser "thinga majig " will work, but the fabrication looks good.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-26-2006, 5:50 AM
Looks GREAT Dennis, did you get a MIG?

Sure are easy to use eh?

I think you could have used some bigger wheels.... :rolleyes: :D

Cheers!

Christopher K. Hartley
04-26-2006, 7:00 AM
Dennis, you're an inspiration to all of us. Thanks. These tools look really neat. Did you do the welding on the bowl steady?

Keith Burns
04-26-2006, 8:03 AM
Excellent Dennis, I am impressed:) :)

Andy Hoyt
04-26-2006, 9:46 AM
Nice steady you have there, Dennis. Looks very Ketronesque - and I'm jealous.

Dennis Peacock
04-26-2006, 11:31 AM
Thanks guys....the steady is a Ketronish type steady. The design actually came from Travis. ;)

The outter frame is 1" square, thick-wall tubing.
The "arms" that hold the wheels are 3/4" square, thin-wall tubing.
The wheels are In-Line Skate wheels and Axles (had to get longer 10-32 screws to fit the axles through the tubing.

In short...it's all 1" thick-walled square tubing except for the bottom plate and the arms that hold the wheels. The bottom plate is 1/4" plate steel and I machined the "nut" on the bottom that holds the steady to the lathe out of some 2-1/2" wide by 3" long by 1" thick 6061 Aluminum. :eek: :D

A buddy of mine did the welding....but now...I'm planning on getting me a MIG setup for "shop" use. :D

Dennis Peacock
04-26-2006, 11:33 AM
Dennis, that's a great looking steady rest. From what I can see in the photo's You did an excellent job on fitting the angles, and the welds.
What did you weld it with?
What size is the square tube?
I don't understand how the Laser "thinga majig " will work, but the fabrication looks good.

Jim,
Got to Lyle Jamieson's site and take a look at his laser pointer setup. The laser is actually the "guide" to wall thickness when set properly, it's set right at the cutter tip and you adjust how thick you want the wall to be. When the laser disappears off the hollow form? That's the wall thickness.;)

Mark Cothren
04-26-2006, 11:34 AM
....but now...I'm planning on getting me a MIG setup for "shop" use. :D

Well hurry up... I got scrap metal to practice on....:D

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-26-2006, 11:48 AM
Dennis, get a 200V MIG, you will not regret it, it will well just about anything you ever need. I have a Hobart Handler, and I really like it, I think they have a newer version of it out now.

Miller also makes really good ones.

Get the gas bottle setup, the flux core is only for welding outside when it is a bit windy.

Welcome to my world of steel! :D

Joe Tonich
04-26-2006, 11:57 AM
Hey......it's a Stin-Tron Steady....:D :D :D COOL!!!

Soon as I get my Mig set-up...I know what I'm buildin! :D :D :D

Don Baer
04-26-2006, 11:59 AM
The wheels are In-Line Skate wheels and Axles (had to get longer 10-32 screws to fit the axles through the tubing. :D

"Gee Dad someone stool all of the wheels off of my roller blades..:eek: "

thinking to my self (hmmm the grandkids will nexer miss those wheels)..:D

Bernie Weishapl
04-26-2006, 1:04 PM
Nice job Dennis. Looks like you been keeping right busy.

Bob Noles
04-26-2006, 1:17 PM
Dennis,

That looks more like a top secret weapons factory to me :eek: :D

Travis Stinson
04-26-2006, 7:44 PM
That's great Dennis! Sorry I didn't get to finish yours along with Mark's while you all were here, just too much other fun to be had!;)
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g76/joesfault/124_2466Small.jpg

Dennis Peacock
04-26-2006, 8:22 PM
That's great Dennis! Sorry I didn't get to finish yours along with Mark's while you all were here, just too much other fun to be had!;)
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g76/joesfault/124_2466Small.jpg

No problem Travis. It's actually worked out for the best anyway. I've learned a LOT in the process AND I've learned about another guy that works on the same floor I do that has a stick welder and did the welding for me. It's all worked out for the best Travis......Besides, the BBQ and it's guests come first. :D

Joe Tonich
04-26-2006, 9:10 PM
Hey Bug............is them PINK wheels???????????:eek: :eek: :rolleyes: :p

Dick Strauss
04-26-2006, 9:25 PM
Nice work Dennis (and Jim)! Your close steady rest eliminates the need to dampen vibrations with one hand while doing the final pass with the other hand.

That there is a nice design!

Jim Davenport
04-26-2006, 9:29 PM
I agree with Stu. Get a 220 volt welder. If you want a mig, get at least 175 amps. For a small mig, I really like the Hobart 175, or the new 180. I have a "Millermatic 210", that is set up for either aluminum, or steel. I got the machine for the business I used to have. If you decide to do a lot of welding it's a great machine. My son probably uses it more than me now.

Mark Cothren
04-26-2006, 11:29 PM
Travis, that steady is workin' great! Can't say "thanks" enough for you taking the time to build that. It's been as handy as a shirt pocket!!!

I got a Stinson Steady and D-handle for hollowing, a pair of Ketron Tool Rests (w/ the help of Joe T and Dick P), a Parr Parting Tool, plans for a Burns Indexing/Segmenting setup... man, I'm on a roll!!!!!!!!! Thanks to all you guys!!!

Corey Hallagan
04-27-2006, 9:46 PM
Looks great Dennis! Nice work.

Corey