PDA

View Full Version : Norman Hitt's photos - Mesquite Wood Show

Ken Fitzgerald
04-26-2006, 12:05 AM
Norm was having troubles getting these posted so I volunteered to do it for him. Norm....I'll post them....about 4 or 5 at a time. If you would jump in between the postings and give them a description...I'm sure the viewers would appreciate it!

Ken Fitzgerald
04-26-2006, 12:18 AM
And the next 5..........

Ken Fitzgerald
04-26-2006, 12:19 AM
and the next 5..

Ken Fitzgerald
04-26-2006, 12:25 AM
and the next 5........

Ken Fitzgerald
04-26-2006, 12:26 AM
and.....the last one.......

Ken Fitzgerald
04-26-2006, 12:27 AM
Norm.......I numbered those rascals so if you want to use a number in your description....they will tie back to the appropriate photo.

Norman Hitt
04-26-2006, 1:16 AM
Thanks so much Ken, for your help, at least it kept you in out of the "Cold Night Air" up there in the "North Country" tonight.:D

I'll try to post what I remember, since the sheet we had all the picture info on must have been one of the pieces of paper that blew out of the car when I was loading a piece of Mesquite I bought.:o (It was either buy $5 worth of wood, or give the LOML $45 to buy that Cross she wanted);)

Pic 1.... is me (in front) finally getting to meet KC, (he's the Good Looking One in the Blue "Island Salesmans" Shirt),:D
Pic 2.... is a couple of KC"s beautiful Mission Tables, (Best of Show, IMHO)
Pics 3 & 4.... are of a Lamp and two chairs by a fellow who had taken a Sam Maloof course, and you can also see a sample of Mesquite flooring behind one of the chairs
Pic 5....A Raised Panel & Stained, Leaded Glass Door by an artist, Steve Bennet, from Breckenridge Tx (where I graduated from HS).

Small World.....as the Artist in the next booth from Steve was from Mineral Wells, Tx, and we had played Football against each other in two games in 1955.

Pic 6....Some Milled Mesquite and the Timber King?? Mill in the background
Pic 7....Milled Mesquite, (with Prices) & one of the Restored Old Fort Barracks Buildings that they keep empty for Vendor Displays at events like this. The next Building past this one, is identical, but has been furnished and set up with all the old furnishings etc as it was when used as a Barracks, and even has a couple of volunteers dressed in the Old army uniforms that guard and explain all the items in there. Several of the Different function Buildings are set up as they were when in use as an active fort.
Pic 8....A Two part Lavatory
Pic 9....A Solid Log Lavatory
Pic 10...A Freestanding Washbasin with a hammered Copper Basin
Pic 11....The Nicest of the Solid Log Lavatories, (quite impressive)

The Artist that makes these Lavatories is a Plumbing Contractor from South Central Texas. I think the one in pic 11 was priced at about $2200 and they have to be mounted on two steel posts placed in the wall buried in concrete in the floor due to their weight. He said they work well for lavatories, but not for kitchen sinks due to pans banging the finish/sealer.

Pic 12....My LOML with some of the Restored Old Fort Buildings in the background
Pic 13....A shot of (I think the Commandants Residence)
Pic 14....Some of the Restored Officers Residences across the Parade Ground
Pic 15....A really nicely made and unique table, Hmmm.........I see the LOML sneaked into another of my shots talking to one of the artists.......I wonder how I got away from there without it costing me big bucks???

Pic 16....A Very Large Coffee Table, (one of the nicest in the show)I believe the items in pics 15 & 16 were from Lou Quallenburg of Llano, Tx (pictured talking to the LOML in pic 15)
Pic 17....Another Artists small tables
Pic 18....Yet another artists very nice quality works, Dining set, sideboard, table, etc. I think these were by Craig Langstrom of Bertram, Tx
Pic 19....And this shot for the "TWISTY/SPINNY" Creekers.:D
Pic 20....These items were outstanding quality combination Mesquite and Iron tables done by Phiel Forges of Llano, Tx

Pic 21....Another angle of the same items in pic 20.

There was a lot more stuff there, and I did miss getting three or four other shots that I had intended to get.

Sorry my Photography isn't up to par yet, but I hope you enjoy them anyhow. It was a little Breezy Sunday, but over all the weather and Temp was Great for the show, and I wish you could have all been there and we could have had a Real "Creekers Party", but I tried to eat all the Good stuff for you anyway. I was TOTALLY UNABLE to find ANY SHOP THONGS anywhere at the whole show though, so it will have to remain on my short list a while longer.:rolleyes: :D

Alan Tolchinsky
04-26-2006, 2:03 AM
I like the finish!

Jim Davenport
04-26-2006, 3:38 AM
Gentlemen, thanks for sharing the photo's with us. I think mesquite is a beautiful wood. Until I came to the creek, I thought it was something just to burn in my smoker:rolleyes: . I didn't realize the trees were that big.
I'd like to see the lathe that #'s 8,9, and 11 were dished out on.
The mission pieces deserved best in show. they were beautiful.

Bill Lewis
04-26-2006, 6:06 AM
...I didn't realize the trees were that big.I don't think that too many get "that big" hence the very high prices shown on the milled stock.

Al Navas
04-26-2006, 8:44 AM
Very nice! I don't think I ever saw such large pieces of mesquite. Thanks for sharing.

I wince every time I remember how much mesquite we used in the smoker and using the BBQ when we lived in Texas :o .

Al

Charles Bruno
04-26-2006, 8:48 AM
Great looking wood. I like the David Marks style lamp and the Sam Maloof style chairs. Looks like this was a very good show lts of talent.Where was this show?

Kirk (KC) Constable
04-26-2006, 11:59 AM
This show was in San Angelo, TX. The Texas Mesquite Association puts on two Mesquite Arts Festivals each year...a spring show in San Angelo and a fall show in Fredericksburg. This was only the third year for the spring show...the fall show is larger, well established and has great attendance.

KC

Norman Hitt
04-26-2006, 12:12 PM
Great looking wood. I like the David Marks style lamp and the Sam Maloof style chairs. Looks like this was a very good show lts of talent.Where was this show?

Charles, this was in San Angelo, Tx at the Old Fort Concho. This show is small though, in comparison to the Texas Mesquite Art Festival that is held annually in Fredricksburg, Texas. This year's show, (the 14 th Annual show), will be October 13 th - 15 th, located at the Marktplatz in Downtown Fredicksburg. For information on the shows in Tx, go to www.texasmesquiteassn.org or call 1-866-TEX-FEST (839-3378) Toll Free. IIRC, this one is a "Juried Show".

For anyone interested in a Fall Vacation, the Fredicksburg Show would be a great place to go, as it's in the beautiful "Hill Country" of Texas (West of Austin & NW of San Antonio) with a lot of German influence there, and the weather is great there at that time of year.

Cecil Arnold
04-26-2006, 3:18 PM
I have to second Norman's recommendation on visiting Fredicksburg, we went last year and it was really very nice.

Disclaimer: Neither Norman or I are members of the Fredicksburg Chamber of Commerce.

Kirk (KC) Constable
04-27-2006, 10:03 AM
Charles, this was in San Angelo, Tx at the Old Fort Concho. This show is small though, in comparison to the Texas Mesquite Art Festival that is held annually in Fredricksburg, Texas. This year's show, (the 14 th Annual show), will be October 13 th - 15 th, located at the Marktplatz in Downtown Fredicksburg. For information on the shows in Tx, go to www.texasmesquiteassn.org or call 1-866-TEX-FEST (839-3378) Toll Free. IIRC, this one is a "Juried Show".

I think there were 40 vendors (give or take) in San Angelo this year...usually 60-65 in Fredericksburg. Both shows are 'juried'...but in the past if you show in Fredericksburg in the fall, you're 'auto-juried' into San Angelo, if you choose to go. More 'furniture' builders will be in Fredericksburg...