PDA

View Full Version : First time to the doc in 9 years...

Kirk (KC) Constable
04-25-2006, 10:27 PM
...and the lab results are back. Being at least 30 pounds overweight...ideally probably fifty...paying no attention whatever to what I eat, getting no exercise, and falling off the no-smoking wagon :( , LOML was rather concerned going in.

Results: blood pressure at what the doc called the 'correct to' level...probably a bit high, but not bad, above factors considered. 135/84.

Cholesterol: 164 :D Good (whicever one that is) was a couple points lower than what the doc would like to see, bad was quite good. Mine was waaaay better than LOML's who tries very hard to eat more sensibly and actually walks on purpose.

All the other 30 or so things they check with the blood (inclusing PSA) was spot-on 'normal'.

Time to start exercising a bit, and keep working on cutting the smokes out entirely (I'm back up to four or five a day...a lot better than 2 packs, but a smoker nonetheless :( ).

KC

John Keane
04-25-2006, 10:42 PM
Get on it!!. Your valuable to your family and this family. We would much rather read your contributions than your obituary.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-25-2006, 10:45 PM
4 or 5 a day is better than a couple of packs KC!

I've gained about 15 lbs. since I quit. I ran into a cardiologist who treated my wife a few months ago. I've known this guy for about 20 years. He said he noticed I was putting on weight. I told him yes and that I had quit smoking. He said I could probably afford to gain 80 lbs before it would put the same amount of stress on my heart that my 1 1/2 packs a day was putting on it. I'm not worrying about the weight gain right now.

Hang in there my friend! Don't be too hard on yourself. When you want to quit.....when you've decided it's time....you will....It won't be easy...but you can do it! If I can do it ........you can too! But even after 90+ days of being smoke free........I come by a smoker having a cigarette .....I just want to get in their face........and steal that damn cigarette and have a few puffs myself!:D My oldest son offered me one Saturday at the wedding reception as I was having a tough time.....I told him " no thanks!".....I didn't want to have to start all over again.........Besides....If I was smoking again....I couldn't afford my new addiction of turning wood.

Hang in there KC!

Jerry Olexa
04-25-2006, 11:13 PM
Take care of yourself. Good post. As I've often said "if I knew I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of Myself". I liked your comment "my wife actually walks on purpose". Exercise is good and cut out the smokes. My 2 cents

Karl Laustrup
04-26-2006, 5:48 AM
But even after 90+ days of being smoke free........I come by a smoker having a cigarette .....I just want to get in their face........and steal that damn cigarette and have a few puffs myself!:D

My oldest son offered me one Saturday at the wedding reception as I was having a tough time.....I told him " no thanks!".....I didn't want to have to start all over again.........Besides....If I was smoking again....I couldn't afford my new addiction of turning wood.

Hang in there Ken. It will soon get easier to say "NO THANKS". And as for getting in a "smokers face" while they are smoking, that too will pass. In fact that smell will actually make you cringe and want to get as far away as possible.

KC, as Ken said when your mind is made up to quit you will and it will be fairly easy. I'm pulling for you.

Karl