PDA

View Full Version : Spice Chest finished...

Michael King
04-25-2006, 4:13 PM
...and sold!
This was posted in "weekend accomplishments" but I thought it could use its own thread, seeing as it took forever to complete. Sold at a fundraising auction for the school I work for.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a191/mking143/DSC00075.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a191/mking143/DSC00068.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a191/mking143/DSC00070.jpg
I caught my wife bidding on it during the auction- I think she's having some separation anxiety. I know I am. Well, back to the shop, maybe the next one will have a tombstone door...:D .
Critique welcome.
Mike

Tyler Howell
04-25-2006, 4:15 PM
Very hot and Spicy.:cool:
I'm likin it big time.

Vaughn McMillan
04-25-2006, 4:29 PM
Beautiful work, Mike. I'll bet it made some good money for youre school. Care to share some details? Wood (I'm guessing walnut), finish, any other info would be great. I'm curious what the separate little box is in the last pic, too? Hidden drawer perhaps?

Thanks for posting the pics -

- Vaughn

Jason Tuinstra
04-25-2006, 4:29 PM
Mike, I can tell that you put a lot of time into the wood selection and placement. Very nice touch - it adds that truly "craftsman" touch to the project. Cudo's to you on that.

Question: Why did you choose to have the side showing on the left side of the piece? I'm not too terribly familiar with spice chests, so this might be the nature of their design. Just curious.

Frank Chaffee
04-25-2006, 4:49 PM
Michael, Michael, Michael!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Marvelous and fantastic and extremely spicy too!

That chest is tops. Had I been at the auction I would have bid that baby up big-time… unless the other bidders were scared away by my earnest desire to possess it, and they bowed out early.

And did I say marvelous and fantastic and extremely spicy too, also?

Frank

Michael King
04-25-2006, 4:56 PM
Thanks guys.
Vaughn- Walnut is correct, harvested near here in northern CT, hard maple for the drawers. Most of the wood came from the same big board. You can see my dovetail experimentation as none of them are quite the same. Right again on the small box- thats the "secret" drawer, it fits behind the 2nd row from the top right hand drawer, which is half as deep as the cabinet. The deep middle drawer also has a false bottom compartment. The finish is BLO, orange shellac, and Waterlox. I learned a lot doing this project, and my shop is littered with little dovetailed walnut and maple boxes- failed drawer attempts:D . It sold for $700, plus a commitment for another 200 to the scholarship fund. I'll not judge what it may be worth...
Jason, not sure I understand the question- is it regarding the angle of the photograph? I just included a shot that showed the dovetails. Like this from the other side...
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a191/mking143/DSC00074.jpg
Thanks for looking.
Mike

Alex Shanku
04-25-2006, 5:14 PM
I think his question is why, when viewed from the front with the door closed, do you see the left side panel of the chest. I am curious, too.

Great work, I love the hidden box and the variety of different dovetails.

Helen Gee
04-25-2006, 5:17 PM
I love the grain pattern on the front of the box!!! The dovetails are really beautiful. Did you do them by hand?

a more important question, are you going to make one for your wife after you caught her bidding on it? :cool: Great job on the spice box!!!!

Jerry Olexa
04-25-2006, 5:21 PM
Michael, Beautiful work... Your attention to detail shows..Like the extra secret door...The front door panel is stunning..How did you finish the walnut?...Very Nice work!

Bob Noles
04-25-2006, 5:56 PM
That is one beautiful piece. Excellent craftsmanship and good eye for detail. That will stand proud in any kitchen.

Ken Shoemaker
04-25-2006, 6:25 PM
With oustanding workmanship like that I think it would have been a great deal at twice the price...... Very nice! I hope to see your next project.

Ken

John Timberlake
04-25-2006, 6:26 PM
Great work and wood selection. Love the finish. Probably worth more than it brought, but that is a good piece of change for the school. Congratulations.

Roy Wall
04-25-2006, 6:52 PM
I'd say it deserves it's own thread........Terrific!!!

You DT the carcass together also......very impressive!!

Beautiful fit and finish - you are an excellent craftsman!

Jason Tuinstra
04-25-2006, 6:54 PM
Jason, not sure I understand the question- is it regarding the angle of the photograph? I just included a shot that showed the dovetails. Like this from the other side...

Mike, it's no big deal, but I edited this picture to show you what I was talking about. I hope this helps. It looks unbalanced to my eye, but as I said, I'm not that familiar with spice cabinets. This may be part of the look. I'm not trying to take away from the beauty of this piece by any means, it's very beautiful. I just wanted clarification. Have a great one!

Michael King
04-25-2006, 7:30 PM
Jason,
Now I understand. No problem.
I looked at lots of pictures of these things, both antiques and ones that had been made recently, and I saw all different door configurations. I made this mostly using pictures of one from 1790 and a pic from an old popular woodworking magazine. I couldn't figure out how to include the lock and escutcheon on a frame and panel door that completely overlayed the sides. I agree, I had considered the imbalance of the look, but hoped the figured panel would perhaps attract the eye elsewhere. I also considered making the door inset on both sides, but when I made a mockup, I wasn't convinced making the door smaller was the answer. Then LOML came into the shop (with her opinion), and the discussion was over:D.
Jerry- the door panel was hand planed, scraped for what seemed like forever, and then BLO, Orange shellac, and Waterlox
Helen-All the dovetails, carcass and drawers are by hand except the bottom drawer, I ran out of time. I made this clear to folks bidding on it. They didn't seem to care. Originally I made the drawers with my Leigh d4, then a discussion with a friend convinced me to go back to the drawing board and do it the right way. So I remade all the drawers. Except for that one:o
I was putting the felt in and finishing the one "ring" drawer in my office at the school 3 hours before the auction started.
While this is called a spice cabinet, I'd never put spices in it. I figure it would be better for jewelry or keepsakes. Thanks for all the compliments.
Mike

Gail O'Rourke
04-25-2006, 7:37 PM
Mike, gorgeous cabinet. Awesome job on the auction, someone got a deal.

Great job.

Jason Tuinstra
04-25-2006, 7:41 PM
Mike, you did your homework. Good for you! Thanks for the answer.

Al Navas
04-25-2006, 8:19 PM
Terrific, Mike! I love the finish and the DTs. WOW! Thanks for sharing.

Al

Richard Wolf
04-25-2006, 8:23 PM
Great job. I always liked that style spice box.

Richard

Rick de Roque
04-25-2006, 11:55 PM
Great job. Love the front panel.

rick

Dean Lapinel
04-26-2006, 2:19 AM
I have a humongous collection of photos of these chests and more than half of the antiques had assymetry to allow for the drawers to slide on the hinge side.

Beautiful job!!!

Mac McAtee
04-26-2006, 9:02 AM
Michael,
Can you tell us the dimensions? What old WW mag did you find the design in?

George Bledsoe
04-26-2006, 9:38 AM
That is a great example of a spice box. Wonderful job!!!!

Popular Woodworking has a plan and I think the hardware came from Horton hardware on the pop wood one.

I am building two one from walnut one from ash am at the point of building drawers, thought I would build my own dovetail saw to cut my dovetails. The handle is done as is the blade need to bend the brass for the back and put it all together. I think I may have gotten sodetracked!:p

Mark Pruitt
04-26-2006, 9:56 AM
At $700, somebody got an incredible bargain. Worth much, much more! Beautiful work!!!

Michael King
04-26-2006, 10:24 AM
George,
Those look great! I love the lighter look of the ash- I have a feeling LOML is going to want me to build another one to keep, so I was thinking of a lighter wood. I also notice you have different door configurations on both of them as we discussed earlier in this thread. And you are building your own tools for the project? Yikes- maybe I'll build myself a new tablesaw for my next project:D
The brass on mine came from Horton as well. I had to do some custom configuring on the strike plate. I don't recall what issue of PW the project came from, but it was a compendium issue of previously published projects and articles. About 3 years ago I think. Originally I had planned to put ogee bracket feet on mine, but that technique is something I've not yet tried and it seemed a little over my head at the time. Maybe for the next one...
The dimensions are approx 21" tall, 13 wide, and 13 deep (doing this from memory).
Mike

Brian Knodel
04-26-2006, 11:14 PM
Hi Mike … I saw your spice box on a different forum, I never knew you were a member of this forum or I would have asked you all the questions I've been tormenting you with by email right here.

I never get tired of looking at that box.

Brian

Mark Singer
04-26-2006, 11:32 PM
Mike,
Beaurtiful! SMC has some woodworkers....and you are are great one...no question!