PDA

View Full Version : caring for exposed end grain

Mark Pruitt
04-25-2006, 3:32 PM
I'm a bit surprised that in the 20+ years I've been in this hobby, I've not bumped into this. I guess that says something about the kinds of projects I've been doing. Anyway, the top for my workbench is glued and the end grain exposed, with it cut to final length. I anticipate that it might be a couple of weeks or longer before I attach the end pieces to the top (I know that's a cross grain situation and I'll use appropriate joinery), so to protect the end grain from checking I have applied beeswax to it. Is there something else I should be using instead? Or am I being overly paranoid? (I used beeswax b/c that's what I had on hand.)

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-25-2006, 3:55 PM
I'd use wax also. Bees or any microcrystallyne wax is fine. You will have to trim a bit (1/64" - 1/32") off when you finish it. I'd not trust sanding as you may rub it in while you take it off and end up with contamination in the way of your finish..

Have you considered using a two part penetrating urethane or a penetrating epoxy as the finish? The end grain will soak loads of it up and become very well sealed. They are tough as nails.

Take a look at these products:
here: <<http://www.epoxysystems.com/>>

Mark Pruitt
04-25-2006, 4:06 PM
Cliff,
Good points, and I should have said that I intend only to wipe the beeswax with mineral spirits or naphtha when I'm ready to install an apron around the top. Doing so will likely work the beeswax into the endgrain, but I'm thinking that that is a good thing. The apron will cover the endgrain, so there are no issues with possibly contaminating a finish.

I also failed to mention that as an added step, I took some of the clear tape that you use to seal boxes, and ran the tape over the end after applying the beeswax. That may be overkill to the point of being just plain nuts, but I just want to play it safe.

Rick Christopherson
04-26-2006, 1:06 AM
If the wood is already dry, there is nothing you need to do to it. The reason why wood cracks at the end is because the end dried faster than the core. This is an issue with drying lumber, not using it. If the lumber is not dry, then you shouldn't be making a bench out of it.

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-26-2006, 9:51 AM
If the wood is already dry, there is nothing you need to do to it. The reason why wood cracks at the end is because the end dried faster than the core. This is an issue with drying lumber, not using it. If the lumber is not dry, then you shouldn't be making a bench out of it.

I dunno 'bout that.
My very first major furniture project was a 2" thick butcher block living room set using kiln dried Maple. I made the mistake of letting the laminated slabs set a couple days in a basement with nothing protecting the ends. The humidity got in and caused splitting at the joints. The heart break. All that work. Nothing to do for it but to cut the splits straight and insert splices.

I learned a couple things: (1) xxxxxxxxxxx; (2)xxxxxxxxxxto me; (3) I don't like it whan xxxxxxxxxxto me; (4) it might not have happened had I used a better glue instead of a plastic glue (polyvinyl) that I ought to have used a protien bond glue like hyde; (4) it might not have happened had I used something to slow the transmission of moisture to and from the end grain.

Mark Pruitt
04-26-2006, 10:11 AM
I dunno 'bout that.
My very first major furniture project was a 2" thick butcher block living room set using kiln dried Maple. I made the mistake of letting the laminated slabs set a couple days in a basement with nothing protecting the ends. The humidity got in and caused splitting at the joints. The heart break. All that work. Nothing to do for it but to cut the splits straight and insert splices.

When I read this, I suddenly remembered what happened to my dining table. DUH.....how could I ever forget this??? I made the table top from mahogany; had it glued up and ready for the next step, but failed to seal the end grain. You guessed it....one of the boards developed a split in the end. :mad: I had no choice but to rip that board out of the top with my circular saw and "graft" a new board in its place. And I had very carefully placed the boards in an orientation that would yield the smoothest possible transition from one to the next.:mad: :mad:

So, I HAVE indeed encountered this issue, in a painful way, and I guess it's my sub-conscious "memory" of that event that has had me running scared.:eek:

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-26-2006, 10:42 AM
When I read this, I suddenly remembered what happened to my dining table. DUH.....how could I ever forget this??? [...]
I guess it's my sub-conscious "memory" of that event that has had me running scared.
Zo Finalee anozzer piezzee of zee Puzzle fitz to plaze unloking the mozed complexzz mental condizeeion oof zee mind. Zee human brrrain iz zee mozzt complxzz zeeng No??