PDA

View Full Version : P&N bowl gouges

Steve Hayes
04-25-2006, 2:30 PM
Just got the new bowl gouges and now I'm making handles. The shaft on one is 3/8 and the other is 1/2. Do I need to drill the same size and epoxy the tools into the handles or do I need to go slightly smaller and use a mallet to hammer the handles on. Hitting the handle of course, not the blade.

Mike Vickery
04-25-2006, 3:07 PM
When I made mine I drilled the same size and used epoxy. I have been using them for about 2 years with no trouble.

Andy Hoyt
04-25-2006, 3:23 PM
Same size, epoxy, and drill a snoodge deeper than you intend to set the tang.

Joe Fisher
04-26-2006, 10:15 AM
Ok, I'll be different :) I drilled for a snug fit (don't remember if it was the same size or undersize), put a copper ferrule on, started the tang in the hole, and rapped the butt of the handle on my bench until the tang was fully seated. Let gravity do the work. No glue.

I've been using them about a year. Roughing gouge, bowl gouge, and detail gouge. I do like the P&N's very much.

-Joe

Steve Hayes
04-26-2006, 11:25 AM
Made one last night 16" long, the 3/8 hole was snug, Tried it and worked great but then I started working on the one that was suppose to have a 1/2 shaft and found that it was about a 1/16 smaller that 1/2. Rather irritating when it's in the catalog and on their website as 1/2 inch. So now I have to find a bit to fit.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-26-2006, 11:46 AM
Made one last night 16" long, the 3/8 hole was snug, Tried it and worked great but then I started working on the one that was suppose to have a 1/2 shaft and found that it was about a 1/16 smaller that 1/2. Rather irritating when it's in the catalog and on their website as 1/2 inch. So now I have to find a bit to fit.

Steve, I guess that is what epoxy is for :rolleyes:

Joe Fisher
04-26-2006, 12:16 PM

I'm pretty sure that's because it's a metric sized shaft. 12mm is actually 0.47 inches. That's roughly 1/32 less than 1/2".

I used a cheapie 7/16" spade bit to cut my hole if I remember correctly. It worked out just right.

-Joe

Steve Hayes
04-26-2006, 2:33 PM
I will try it tonight. If it doesn't work then epoxy and duct tape. And since I'm from Texas some barb wire also.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-26-2006, 2:45 PM
Ya, 1/2" is 12.7 mm

Good luck!

Dave Wimmer
04-26-2006, 4:01 PM
Greg Jensen who is a rep for P&N, Kelton Ind., VB, etc. demoed the P&N gouges yesterday at the WC Gathering down here in GA. He used them in metal handles, because it was easier to pull them out of the handle for sharpening. He showed how he hand sharpened them without a jig. The reason he did so was to be able to keep the bevel the same angle all around the gouge, something that you cannot do with a sharpening fixture. The way he did it looked rather easy, probably could not be done with the gauge permanantly mounted in a wood handle. He also helped me a lot on using the McNaugton coring system which had me buffaloed up till now.

Jeff Horton
04-26-2006, 8:20 PM
I'm a little late answering. Made a road trip to pick up a new old jointer today. But I made handles out of tubafours since that was all I had at the time. Liked them enough I didn't make new ones. Just bored and hole and tapped them in, no ferels since It was just a temp handle. No problem and no ferels yet either.