PDA

View Full Version : Wine Cork Board

Jason Tuinstra
04-25-2006, 12:54 PM
Here is a project my wife put together to go with the wine cabinet. I built the frame and she did the hard work of hot-gluing and making sure everything fit right. Everytime we take our friends and family from the mid-west to do wine tasting, we pick up corks for free along with bottle labels. Tobin James is one of our favorites so this is a Tobin board. I think she's going to tack some of the pictures from those times up on the baord, but I'm a little in the dark on that. I'm not the creative one when it comes to that kind of thing anyway. ;)

The frame is MDF and sprayed black. I sanded through the black on some of the edges, and then sprayed it with lacquer. Very simple.

Jerry Strojny
04-25-2006, 2:33 PM
Looks great. I like the laquer finish.

For a wedding gift, a friend and I made a steamer trunk and a cork board. We have a tradition of having sangria whenever the group of us get together. So we thought since we have all these corks from the Spanish wine we've been using in our special sangria recipe we got from our "running of the bulls" trip, we would make a cork board the shape of spain. Well, in the end, it turned out to be just a simple square shape, but with a good story for the happy couple as to how it came about. I think we even glue in a little bull from one of the bottles in the place where Pomplona would be (if it was the actual shape of spain). It was a fun project. And I really like how the steamer trunk turned out too.

Sorry for "story time" but I love memories like that. And projects that inspire great memories.

Jason Tuinstra
04-25-2006, 3:03 PM
Jerry, you're right, these gifts can be reminders of good memories. We built one for our friends with corks that we used while they were here. Kind of a neat gift idea.

Roy Wall
04-25-2006, 3:32 PM
I can't believe you made something from other than Cherry!!!:cool:

Good thing I am sitting down.......:D

Great idea....nicely done.....

Oh.....the cabinet it's sitting on looks pretty good too.......:)

Jim Becker
04-25-2006, 6:36 PM
Very nice accessories for the "wine area"!!

Jesse Cloud
04-25-2006, 7:14 PM
Too bad they don't put corks in beer bottles.:cool:

Frank Chaffee
04-25-2006, 7:48 PM
Jason,
To you and your wife also,
The framed arrangement of corks is very nice, and I would love to have this in my home.

If I may offer a critique to stimulate you two to further developments of this theme, how about experimenting with more complex patterns of interlocking corks?

Nice work!
Frank