PDA

View Full Version : What is a good price for this table saw?

Ed Williams
04-25-2006, 11:37 AM
This Craftsman saw is about 20 years old. I know it has NOT been used
for the past 10 years and when it was being used, it was not used too
often. I do not have the model number and I am not sure just seeing
a picture will be good for determining the value, but any help will be greatly appreciated.

Can you help me determine the value?

I am buying it from a family member and neither of us know what it is worth.

Thanks, Hokie

Joe Chritz
04-25-2006, 11:47 AM
Its "worth" whatever is fair to the both of you. Big help eh? :D

If the motor extends to the back I assume it is belt drive. If it is a new Ridgid (TS3650 I think) is about $550. Shave off 50 bucks with one of their 10% off deals. I like to stay under 60% for a decent shape used tool.

Can't comment on the quality of that particular saw but Craftsmen had a lot of different companies building for them. Some of the older ones were very good.

The Ridgid saw is a very nice saw for the price. Accurate, says in tune well, decent power and a solid reliable fence. If I was in the market I wouldn't go more than 175 or 200 for a used contractor saw unless it is very new.

Joe

Ken Salisbury
04-25-2006, 11:58 AM
In order to be a boni fide member of Sawmill Creek the Terms of Service (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/terms.php) require you to use a real first and last name. Please PM Jackie Outten (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=6) with that information and she will update your registration to reflect your real name.

http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/misc/moderator.gif

scott spencer
04-25-2006, 12:09 PM
The serial number should be on the motor plate. I've bought and sold 2 saws that were very similar. I bought one for $74, and the other for $100.....the second one had a nice Vega fence. I cleaned it up and sold it for $185. $100-$125 for all that would a reasonable range IMO, but be aware that fence is likely to be a tad bothersome.

Larry Browning
04-25-2006, 12:27 PM
This Craftsman saw is about 20 years old. I know it has NOT been used
for the past 10 years and when it was being used, it was not used too
often. I do not have the model number and I am not sure just seeing
a picture will be good for determining the value, but any help will be greatly appreciated.

Can you help me determine the value?

I am buying it from a family member and neither of us know what it is worth.

Thanks, Hokie

Hokie,
From the pics I would say it is a pretty low end Craftsman contractor saw. Is the table cast iron? And since it is a family member selling it I think he should cut you a pretty good deal. I think that $100-$125 would be a fair price for a 20 year old low end Craftsman saw. But that is just one opinion. Others may think different.

CPeter James
04-25-2006, 12:40 PM
Be aware that the miter gage groove on those older Craftsman saws is undersized form standard and after maket accessories do NOT fit. This can be a PITA!!

CPeter

Lee DeRaud
04-25-2006, 1:30 PM
Is the table cast iron?Good news is, unless it's an artifact of the photography, the answer is "yes".
Bad news is, looks like there's a lot of surface rust.

Hoa Dinh
04-25-2006, 1:53 PM
This looks like my first TS. The previous owner bought it new in 1975 and was still using it when he "upgraded" to a 1998 Craftsman. I paid $100 for it.

I added a Craftsman fence (XR2424 I think), then a year later sold it for $250.

Assuming the motor is still running and there is no serious problem with the saw, $100 is a fair price.

I would buy it. If you later find out that woodworking is not for you or you want to upgrade to a better saw, you can easily sell if for what you've paid. Even if you can't sell it, you're out only $100.

John Hemenway
04-25-2006, 2:59 PM
I bought and sold one that looked like it's twin. $100 worked both ways.

Gary McKown
04-25-2006, 3:15 PM
Looks just like my 1976 model 113.299040, right down to the leg-mounted casters, which is still used almost every day. Emerson-made, 1 hp motor, stamped steel wings, not the greatest fence system. I also have that same tenoning jig, rarely used.

These old classic Craftsman saws do not fetch much these days, maybe $125-$150 if in good shape. On another forum, a fellow in Lake Wales, FL was trying to sell one (in better shape than this one) with an HTC mobile base and many accessories included, for $125. No takers, the last I heard, despite the fact that this would be head and shoulders above a benchtop-type saw for a hobbyist.

Make sure the miter gauge, tenoning jig, and anything else that rides in the miter slots are included. As stated above, the slots are a tad less wide than the standard. I also would check whether there is any play in the arbor bearings, how well the height and bevel adjustments work, and the condition of the belts and pulleys.

Ed Williams
04-25-2006, 4:11 PM
In order to be a boni fide member of Sawmill Creek the Terms of Service (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/terms.php) require you to use a real first and last name. Please PM Jackie Outten (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=6) with that information and she will update your registration to reflect your real name.

http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/misc/moderator.gif

Ken,

Sorry about this. I have sent the update information to Jackie.

Ed

Frank Fusco
04-25-2006, 4:29 PM
My rule of thumb is, assuming good condition and everything works, about 50% of a similar model on the market now, new. Take off from there for condition issues.

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-25-2006, 4:43 PM
The saw was purchased NEW for about $150.00
I know 'cause I bought one new about identical to that in the late mid / late 1970s

Its a fine entirely unpretentious saw. The trunnion is solid cast iron you will have to true it and with the motor sticking out the back you will notice the trunion flexing just a tad when the tile mechanism is unlocked.
I put a a shorter belt to reduce the moment arm and replaced my motor with a 2 HP dayton.

Throw away the stock aluminum pulleys & install good cast iron balanced pulleys like you can get from Boston Gear or Browning and the thing will hum along nicely even passing the nickel test - some of the time.

The table is solid as a rock. I hit mine with a 16 pound sledge and it didn't break: Dented but didn't break.

Put a good fence and miter on it and it's about as good as any contractor saw on the market.

In the last decade or so I use my old 10" craftsman saw as my beater box. I've lent it to a friend who was building a home, dropped it off a truck, parked it outside as my construction saw and abused the hell outta it It's still a fine tool. In it's prime it built furniture and musical instruments.

Pay the price of the saw when it was brand new.
Offer $150.00 it's worth that if not more.
<!-- / message --><!-- controls -->

Ed Williams
04-26-2006, 11:41 AM
The saw was purchased NEW for about $150.00
I know 'cause I bought one new about identical to that in the late mid / late 1970s

Its a fine entirely unpretentious saw. The trunnion is solid cast iron you will have to true it and with the motor sticking out the back you will notice the trunion flexing just a tad when the tile mechanism is unlocked.
I put a a shorter belt to reduce the moment arm and replaced my motor with a 2 HP dayton.

Throw away the stock aluminum pulleys & install good cast iron balanced pulleys like you can get from Boston Gear or Browning and the thing will hum along nicely even passing the nickel test - some of the time.

The table is solid as a rock. I hit mine with a 16 pound sledge and it didn't break: Dented but didn't break.

Put a good fence and miter on it and it's about as good as any contractor saw on the market.

In the last decade or so I use my old 10" craftsman saw as my beater box. I've lent it to a friend who was building a home, dropped it off a truck, parked it outside as my construction saw and abused the hell outta it It's still a fine tool. In it's prime it built furniture and musical instruments.

Pay the price of the saw when it was brand new.
Offer $150.00 it's worth that if not more.
<!-- / message --><!-- controls -->

I saw the receipt for the saw and it was originally purchased for $329. Unfortunately, I did not notice the date of purchase, but as I said I know it is over 20 years old. The picture is not a facsimile and it does have the cast iron top. I was thinking I might get a good saw at an inexpensive price, but maybe the wisest choice would be to go for a newer model.

Thanks for all the input! It is very much appreciated.

Ed

Brian Parker
04-26-2006, 1:08 PM
Wow that looks almost identical to the one that I inherited from my grandfather only mine has a crank to move the blade angle not a wheel. Speaking from my experience its a great saw and I've used it to help remodel a few houses and my grandfather built one with it too. I've been using it for my cabinets lately, my plan is to make it my second saw when I get the $$ for a nicer saw. My only complaint is that the side tables/wings tend to sag a little bit and will take some bracing to get them flush with the aluminum top.

I'd say that $100 or so would be a decent price on it. BTW if you want to do dados you might have to make your own insert as I did since Sears no longer sells the dado insert for my saw. You can check it out online if you like but they arent that hard to make.

M. A. Espinoza
04-26-2006, 2:04 PM
I just used this model saw to do some work on-site. Its a completely decent saw.

I had to tune it up a bit before I could do finish cuts but that is the owner's fault; not the saw. He is no woodworker and had a miter saw blade installed on it, a bad belt, and was out of alignment.

I lined it up and put a link belt on it and it hummed just fine. While aligning it I was surprised by the trunnion/saw carriage construction.

Someone mentioned that the carriage is a one-piece casting vs. the two tubes most contractors use. This is something that goes out on my Grizzly occasionally and it is a pain to re-align the front and back trunnion. With this Sears saw that is not possible due to the single casting.

Also the rear trunnion at least has three bolts securing it so it should hold alignment better.

And its a left-tilt arbor, something of a personal preference for me.

For a 100-150 you would have a very solid tool, but you would need a better fence. Lowe's is selling the Delta T2 fence for 150 I believe and it would be hard to find a better saw for the combined price.

Can you tell I preferred that saw to my Grizzly contractor? The reason is it looked as though the old Sears would address the main gripes I have with the Grizz. Which is it needs attention to stay in alignment.

Its no cabinet saw but totally capable of doing good work.

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-26-2006, 2:17 PM
I saw the receipt for the saw and it was originally purchased for $329. Unfortunately, I did not notice the date of purchase, but as I said I know it is over 20 years old. The picture is not a facsimile and it does have the cast iron top. I was thinking I might get a good saw at an inexpensive price, but maybe the wisest choice would be to go for a newer model.

Thanks for all the input! It is very much appreciated.

Ed

WOW it must be younger than my old beater box. Back when I got mine I no way could have ponied up 3 Bills.
As I recall the $150 was a stretch. Looks identical tho.

Bruce Page
04-26-2006, 2:43 PM
Ed, that looks identical to my first table saw. I wouldn't give more than $125 tops. Also, I don't know how to put this nicely…..the fence on it is complete junk. I ended up putting a Shop Fox fence on mine.