PDA

View Full Version : My first semi-complicated picture frame pics

Josh Goldsmith
04-25-2006, 11:30 AM
Hello all i finally took something in my head and transformed it into something awesome. A while ago i was asking questions about making picture frames and you help me so i thought i would show what i did. I took 1 3/4 poplar jointed it, planed it and it left me with 1 5/16 (the wood was bowed pretty bad). Then i took my table saw and cut the molding at a 14 deg angle. Then i used my 3/16 cornerbeading bit and ran it through my router table. This was the most exciting part. I made a jig so i can run the wood through my table saw at an angle to achieve a large cove in the wood. It took me a while to learn it but after i did i felt like a master molding maker:p . This is what it ended up looking like. Sorry a couple of the pics aren't the best. It was hard to take up close pics of the frame since it was black and the flash would make parts of the frame to bright to see and when i didn't use the flash it was to dark:( .

That center pic is showing the shadow box that holds the pic off the wall about 1" or so to give it a floating look. I just got a phone call saying that we sold the painting and the frame for $900. YEAH. It took me about 5-6 hrs to build it and finish it and i sold the frame for $300. I only had $50- in material. Not bad for a hobby!

Josh Goldsmith
04-25-2006, 11:33 AM
I wanted to know if there are any other ways to make the cove instead of running it through the table saw at an angle. Thanks josh

Mark Pruitt
04-25-2006, 11:40 AM
Nice frame, Josh! (And not a bad return on the investment either!)
What blade did you use in your TS to cut the cove?

Joe Chritz
04-25-2006, 11:49 AM
Woodmaster molder? Insert tooling molder for a shaper with powerfeed?

Both of those require some custom blades and the "entry fee" is kinda steep. Depends on how many feet you are planning on making.

Joe

Josh Goldsmith
04-25-2006, 12:12 PM
I just got word a couple mins ago that this picture and frame are going to be on display for an interior designer who did some multi-million dollar house and a local newspaper is going to be taking pictures of here work including my frame!:D I also got word that i will be doing 1-2 frames a week. I am so excited!!!!! That is an extra 1k-2k a month if everything goes they way there talking. We'll see cause i know all about the high points and low points of work. Anyways to answer your question. I use a frued Diablo 40t from home depot. I thought about buying a molder but wasn't sure if you can get custom blades made. And if you can i wonder how expensive they are. Thanks Josh

Dave Bonde
04-25-2006, 1:40 PM
Congratulations Josh! that is great news and a nice frame. To answer your question yes you can get custom knives made (I make my own) you should be able to get a set (of two) made for $150 or less all you would need is a drawing like you have of the profile you want. Good luck Dave

Jason Tuinstra
04-25-2006, 2:13 PM
Great job Josh. Great detail on the moulding.

Vaughn McMillan
04-25-2006, 2:15 PM
Looks good, Josh, and sounds like you might have found a workable niche. Isn't it nice the first time you see a TS doing a cove cut? Just be careful. ;)

- Vaughn

Dave Richards
04-25-2006, 5:28 PM
Josh, that frame turned out real nice. Pretty cool to have it featured in an expensive house. If the job works out with making picture frames you might want to investigate a molding chopper for cutting the miters. Much more accurate than a saw, less waste and what waste there is simply falls to the floor or into a box beneather the chopper. Here's an excellent one"
http://www.tech-mark.com/morso-fc.htm

No affiliation but I've used one in the past and if I were going to be making picture frames regularly, I would definitely own one.

Jim Becker
04-25-2006, 6:27 PM
Congrats on a fine job and a very nice sale, Josh!

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-25-2006, 8:09 PM
If you will have a steady flow of work at the rate you quoted you might want to get a molder and yes you can have blades made & people often make their own too.

A heavy dedicated miter cutter is a good investment also for frames anyway.