PDA

View Full Version : Router Bit Brand Preference

Chuck Saunders
04-25-2006, 11:12 AM
Well I am looking to add to my router bit collection and I was wondering what the concensus was on brand. I am looking at getting a multi-bead bit and I am concerned as the profile has some thin profiles.
Thanks
Chuck

james matthews
04-25-2006, 11:26 AM
Chuck,I have used bits from www.mlcswoodworking.com (http://www.mlcswoodworking.com) and never had any problems with them plus the have free shipping. they are very resonable on there prices.:)

Lee DeRaud
04-25-2006, 11:34 AM
The Rockler blue "house-brand" bits have served me well. Didn't plan to end up with quite that many of them, but so it goes. I have no idea who actually makes them.

Hoa Dinh
04-25-2006, 12:08 PM
I normally stock up route bits during a sale, but if I need something immediately:

For bits that will be used a lot or that require tight tolerance, Whiteside or Eagle America.

For bits with moderate use, Woodline or Price Cutter.

For bits used once in a while, MLCS.

scott spencer
04-25-2006, 12:12 PM
My favorite high end brands are Whiteside and Freud.
Favorite budget brands are Holbren, Woodcraft, Price Cutter, and MLCS.

Chris Rosenberger
04-25-2006, 12:21 PM
I have bits from Freud, Whiteside, Amana, Eagle America, MLCS, Leigh & some nameless imports. They all perform well.

Lee Schierer
04-25-2006, 12:22 PM
I like all the Freud bits I have. They cut clean right out of the box. I've not had as much satisfaction from Woodtek, Viper or Rockler router bits and will not be buying any more of them. They cut, but don't seem to cut as well as Freud bits do. I would not recommend Craftsman bits, even though I own a few. They are definitely not as good as the others.

Ken Salisbury
04-25-2006, 12:24 PM
**** FREUD ****

Howard Rosenberg
04-25-2006, 1:23 PM
And I'm adverse to cheap bits.

I always have great success with Lee Valley's router bits.

Can't say the same the few times I've bought Frued bits.

HTH
Howard

Brad Townsend
04-25-2006, 1:35 PM
For pretty good quality inexpensive bits, Woodcraft has there $5 per bit sale going on right now for about fifteen or so different bits. Hard to beat.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5774&WeeklySpecial=True