PDA

View Full Version : FREEStuff Drawing Mon. May 1: Two $40 Gift Certs! **WINNERS**

Z_Aaron Koehl
04-25-2006, 9:26 AM
FreeStuff donated by SMC Member, Mark Rios:

NOTE: You must be a REGISTERED SawmillCreek member to win. No entry necessary.

Mark Rios has graciously donated two $40 gift certificates to be given to two lucky winners next week.

From Mark:

"I would like everyone to know how much I appreciate all the help that I received on my first real commissioned (could you tell it was my first? :D ) cabinet job. I've made/repaired a number of cabinets over the years but this was my first stand alone cabinet job. Your help and advice made the job a success!"

Two lucky winners will be drawn next week, Monday, May 1, 2006. Winners will have 1 week to respond to this thread, at such time Mark will give you the details on getting your gift certificate. Thanks Mark!!

***UPDATE: Sorry for the delay, folks! Here are the winners randomly selected from the database..

Prizes:
Lee Valley $40 Gift Certificate - Jim O'Dell (updated 6-6-2006)
Amazon.com $40 Gift Certificate - Mike Peace

Jim O'Dell
04-25-2006, 2:29 PM
Mark, that is very generous!! Thanks for your contribution. Jim

David Duke
04-25-2006, 2:44 PM
Thanks Mark!!

Don Baer
04-25-2006, 4:56 PM
WOW Mark. Thats more then generous.

Wispering to my self (I hope I win, I hope I win, I hope I win) :D

Vaughn McMillan
04-25-2006, 5:54 PM
Wow...very nice gesture Mark. I guess now we'll have to take back all the bad things we've been saying about you. ;) :D :p

Good luck to all in the drawing.

- Vaughn

Ken Shoemaker
04-25-2006, 6:20 PM
Very generous.... Thank you

Ken

Ron Jones near Indy
04-25-2006, 6:20 PM
Thanks Mark! That is very generous.

Brian Hale
04-25-2006, 7:07 PM
Mark, that is way cool dude!!!! :cool:

Thanks!
Brian:)

Steve Clardy
04-25-2006, 7:47 PM
Very generous Mark!!

Ken Fitzgerald
04-25-2006, 7:57 PM
Mark........I'm sure those who provided information didn't think this was necessary but.........Thanks! Very Generous of you!

Eric Shields
04-25-2006, 8:04 PM
Mark,

Wish I could say I helped so much I hope to win. But I didn't help, so I won't allow myself to hope.

A VERY generous and thoughtful contribution to The Creek.

Thank You Mark.

Eric

Art Davis
04-25-2006, 8:22 PM
A very altruistic gesture! Thanks.

Art Davies
04-26-2006, 9:01 AM
Thank you Mark. I don't think anyone here would turn down free tools! Again a big thank you!!!!!

Art

Don Orr
04-26-2006, 2:47 PM
Thanks very much Mark and congrats on the successful commision. You're a credit to the Creek!

richard poitras
04-26-2006, 7:48 PM
I guess that old saying applies here ""what comes around goes around "" thats the friendly spirit I have found to enjoy here at the sawmill .Thanks for the generous contribution gifts for the lucky winners !

Frank Pellow
04-26-2006, 10:40 PM
Thanks Mark, that is very generous of you.

If all of us who received help here on Saw Mill Creek were to do something similar, there would be very very many gift certificates being drawn for.

But Mark, I think that you are the first to reward his fellow-members this way.

Mark Rios
04-27-2006, 10:37 PM
Hey....you folks are too kind. I'm just trying to give back where I can. What....you folks don't think you deserve it? Of Course you do; You folks are the greatest. I can give only limited advice yet (along with plenty of 4th grade humor :D ) and I've received lots and lots of answers and advice. Plus, we haven't had a drawing in awhile, sooooo..........this will be fun. Two drawings for the price of one.

WooooooHoooooooo!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Lopaka Garcia
04-28-2006, 1:32 AM
Thanks Mark for the contributions. How many times can we enter Aaron? :D

Kurt Aebi
04-28-2006, 8:19 AM
Thanks Mark!!

Jerry Strojny
04-28-2006, 10:55 AM
This weekend I install my first comissioned project. A custom book shelf to match existing kitchen cabinets. (Wish me luck that it fits, it's on an angled wall that wasn't plum....I know everyone has to deal with these issues. It's my first and I don't know all the tricks yet.)
I may have started the project before I joined the creek, but the community has helped my comfort level in the shop and I thank everyone for that.

But more importantly, thank you Mark!!

scott spencer
04-28-2006, 12:23 PM
Very cool Mark! Thanks much!

Tom Pritchard
04-28-2006, 7:30 PM
Mark, this is really gracious of you! Thanks for the kind offer!

Tony Ward
04-28-2006, 8:01 PM
Well done, when can we expect the next cabinet?

Tony Ward

Jack Ferrell
04-28-2006, 10:11 PM
Very kind of you Mark.

Gord Taylor
04-30-2006, 11:35 PM
thanks Mark, that's cool :cool:
Gord

Alain Tellier
05-01-2006, 10:21 AM
That's a very nice gesture and inspiring way to pay it foward.:cool:

I wasn't around when you were seeking advise but from what I've read so far it seems you were in good hands from the start.

Montgomery Scott
05-01-2006, 10:48 AM
Congratulations!. Hopefully this will be the first of many satisfying jobs.

Alden Miller
05-01-2006, 5:27 PM
Thanks Mark, count me in!

-Alden

Dave Falkenstein
05-01-2006, 9:54 PM
Am I too late to reply to the thread?

Mark Rios
05-01-2006, 10:03 PM
Never too late Dave....at least until Aaron draws the names.

Ooooohhhhh....I'm soooo excited. I can't wait for him to draw. I thought he said Monday, May 1st. It's 7:00 pm here now; Maybe he's just building the anticipation. :D :D :D

Joe Marotta
05-01-2006, 10:08 PM
Mark, this is an extremely generous offer.

I know from my relatively short time on this board, that there is a wealth of knowledge to be found. I have (finally) found a hobby that I am excited about, and look forward to learning as much as I can!

Keith Starosta
05-02-2006, 8:55 AM
Alright.....it's May 2, 8:51 A.M. where I am sitting. Aaron....who are the two WEEners?!?! :D

- Keith

Bob Reeve
05-02-2006, 10:01 AM
Mark,

I just saw this and that is to cool.

Bob

Jim Becker
05-03-2006, 2:38 PM
Rats..."Lost another one to..." someone else. :( (Ditech wasn't eligible ;) )

Steve Clardy
05-03-2006, 3:47 PM
Congrats to the lucky winners!!!

James Farrow
05-03-2006, 3:58 PM
Congrats To The Winners!

Great Stuff!

James :)

Bruce Shiverdecker
05-03-2006, 5:49 PM
Thanks for your generosity, Mark.

Congrats to the winners.

Bruce

Jack Ferrell
05-03-2006, 7:30 PM
Congrats to the lucky ones.

Appreciate your kindness Mark.

Joe Marotta
05-03-2006, 9:50 PM
Congratulations to Mike and Wolf!

Spend it wisely!!!

Alain Tellier
05-04-2006, 3:38 PM
Congrats to the winners! :)

Bill Lewis
05-09-2006, 2:13 PM
Looks like the "winners" both missed the deadline. Time for Aaron to fire up the old random number gernerator, or do it the low-tech way and pick two new names out of the SMC hat.

Steve Clardy
05-09-2006, 9:49 PM
Bump Bump Bump

Mark Rios
05-09-2006, 10:29 PM
Actually, the deadline would be tomorrow morning, given that Aaron drew the two names on last Wed. morning.

Bill Lewis
05-10-2006, 5:30 AM
Geez, I knew he missed the mark on Monday, I didn't think he missed Tuesday too. :p

Hey Steve, now I KNOW what goes bump in the night, pretty scary!;)

Steve Clardy
05-10-2006, 10:57 AM
Geez, I knew he missed the mark on Monday, I didn't think he missed Tuesday too. :p

Hey Steve, now I KNOW what goes bump in the night, pretty scary!;)

Lol:D :D :D

Z_Aaron Koehl
05-10-2006, 9:37 PM
WHOOPS!

My PM inbox was full, so I'm giving them a couple extra days to respond before I draw again-

Brian Hale
05-13-2006, 9:29 AM
Make sure you spell my name right... :p :D :p

Brian Hale :)

Jim O'Dell
05-13-2006, 6:41 PM
Is this a first???? Two winners announced and neither one taking the prize??? Surely I've just missed it and they have been claimed..... Jim.

Mark Rios
05-13-2006, 10:10 PM
Is this a first???? Two winners announced and neither one taking the prize??? Surely I've just missed it and they have been claimed..... Jim.

Nope...I'm still waiting to send them. Maybe Aaron doesn't like me. :eek: :D I didn't know it would be this hard to give money away. :D :D :D

Jackie Outten
05-13-2006, 11:28 PM
Mark,

Never fear. Aaron will draw two new names tomorrow.

Jackie

Mike Peace
05-14-2006, 2:06 PM
I just read this. Not sure how I missed that I had a private message since I read SMC daily. Oh well. Easy come, easy go.:rolleyes:

Mike

Jackie Outten
05-14-2006, 8:56 PM
Mike,

You're still good. Congratulations.

Jackie

Matt Meiser
05-14-2006, 9:02 PM
You're still good. Congratulations.

No fair!!!

Just Kidding. Congratulations Mike. Now if we all keep quiet a little longer we'll all still have a shot at the other one.:D

Mark Rios
05-14-2006, 10:51 PM
Mike Peace it is!!!.......so sayeth Jackie, so be it.

Okay...here's how to get your cert.

First, go to Amazon.com. Then, scroll down to the heading that says: "Gift Certificates". Then, enter all your personal info including your credit card number. Then enter $40 in the amount box. Click enter and click confirm.

There you have it. You got your $40 gift cert!

:D :D :D :D :D

Just teasing......Congratulations.

Mike, please pm me so I can get you your cert.

Z_Aaron Koehl
05-22-2006, 11:35 AM
Mark,

Never fear. Aaron will draw two new names tomorrow.

Jackie
Just drew another name from the electronic hat:

Mark Muckelberg

Mark Rios
05-22-2006, 1:39 PM
WOO HOO!!!!!! MARK! MARK! MARK!

WTG Mark.

Where are you Mark?

Mark? Mark?

Where's Mark? Anybody know?

Calling Mark?

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Steve Clardy
05-26-2006, 3:26 PM
bumpa bumpa. Mark must be lost

Chris Damm
05-26-2006, 3:36 PM
I never saw someone have such a hard time giving away money!

Jim O'Dell
05-26-2006, 7:31 PM
Me neither, Chris. I hope Mark R. understands that it's not personal, and Mark M. must be busy, away from the computer. I know I'd be hopping up and down doing the happy dance if my name were drawn. Jim.

Mark Rios
05-31-2006, 9:51 PM
Boy-O-Boy the SMC server must REALLY not like me?!? I'm just now at 6:36 able to get in. It's still a little spotty though.

Anyway, here we go.........

Well, it seems that giving away these gift certs is harder than I thought it would be. Congrats to Mike Peace, he got the Amazon Cert., leaving the $40 Cert from Lee Valley.

So, since Mark M. hasn’t been able to respond (It’s been nine days, sorry Mark), I’ll do it a little different way. Instead of just the first person to email………..

Here’s a little quiz:

Take the number of Freedom Pens received as of January 28, 2006 per Jackie’s post.

Divide that number by the total number of pens donated by North Texas Woodturners, Rod Torgeson, Don Ryktarsyk, and Harry Pye.

Now; Divide that answer by the number of States in the union on January 28, 47 years ago.

The first person to PM me with the correct answer will get the cert. I may, of course, not be online at that particular time but the PM will be time stamped.

Good luck to all.

Jim O'Dell
05-31-2006, 10:50 PM
I could have sworn I posted a note here a few minutes ago...are we having major difficulties with the server? It takes forever to load a page.
Anyway, I PM'd my guess to Mark. Now we need to see if the list owners are going to go for this, since it is not the normal giveaway that has been done. I'm sure Mark is getting frustrated, and again, Mark. Don't take this wrong. I'm sure these 2 have been busy and away from the computer. It is possible that they aren't regulars anymore, but still on the "membership list".
I hope you know that we all feel that this was very VERY generous of you to donate. If I'm the first one to PM you, and the list owners want to nix this deal, I have no problems with that decision. As much problems as I have had getting on this evening, I can't believe that I could be anywhere near the top of the list time wise, though. Even if I did guess the right number!! :D
Have a good evening all!! Jim.

Mark Rios
05-31-2006, 10:56 PM
Jim got it. The number is 3, of course. :D Thanks to Jim and to all.

I'd like to do this again sometime. Maybe in the future when the server gods forgive me for whatever I did. :D :D :D

Thanks again to everyone for all your help and advice.

Jim O'Dell
05-31-2006, 11:19 PM
Well, I guess others had more problems getting in than I did! My above note stands, let's see what Keith and Jackie say about this. If they want to redraw a name from the list, then I want to abide by their rules.
Mark, I PM'd you again. We'll "talk" tomorrow. Jim.

Jackie Outten
05-31-2006, 11:40 PM
Jim,

I was hoping Aaron would draw another name but he has been busy moving into his new house.

Mark's solution was a very good one, so congratulations Jim--you're the winner of the gift certificate.

And just so everyone knows, our internet provider lost service to all of it's Hampton Roads customers this evening so we have been anxiously waiting for sawmillcreek to come back up as well as everyone else. Don't know exactly what happened yet as their tech support was not sharing that information. Anyway, we're back!!!!

Jackie

Mark Rios
05-31-2006, 11:48 PM
Hey Jackie, you know how I'm always wanting my 1.6 cent refund when the server goes down? :D :D :D Well, you should charge the ISP 1.6 cents per member per minute for all the time they have you down. Tell them it's causing your members serious mental harm to be without our Creek fix. :eek: :D

Vaughn McMillan
06-02-2006, 5:10 PM
Congrats to Jim, and thanks again to Mark for the generous donation. One would think you were trying to give away ice cubes to Eskimos. Glad to see you finally coerced someone into winning. ;)

- Vaughn

Mark Muckelberg
06-06-2006, 2:33 PM
I got your PM last week and replied, but something must not be working right. I apologise for the delay, but I'm just now getting around after having surgery on my foot. Thank you; Lee Valley is one of my favorite places to shop, and this will be the first thing I've won in 55 years; which is to say EVER.

Matt Meiser
06-06-2006, 3:38 PM
Uh oh......

Steve Clardy
06-06-2006, 3:43 PM
Uh oh......

Houston. We got a problem.:eek:

Mark Rios
06-06-2006, 4:15 PM
FreeStuff donated by SMC Member, Mark Rios:

Two lucky winners will be drawn next week, Monday, May 1, 2006. Winners will have 1 week to respond to this thread, at such time Mark will give you the details on getting your gift certificate. Thanks Mark!!

***UPDATE: Sorry for the delay, folks! Here are the winners randomly selected from the database:

Prizes:
Lee Valley $40 Gift Certificate - Mark Muckelberg (updated 5-22-2006)
Amazon.com $40 Gift Certificate - Mike Peace

Mark, first of all, sorry about your leg and I hope you get better soon.

As far as the drawing, I have looked through the whole thread and it doesn't look like you responded to the thread as is stated in the above quote. After waiting for more than a week and after having the blessing of the SMC admins (per Jackies post number 64) the drawing went on and the cert was awarded to someone else. Sorry for your bad luck and, again, I hope you recover soon.

Thanks.

Mark Muckelberg
06-06-2006, 8:12 PM
Hey what the heck, I can live without the $40 from Lee Valley.
I do have one question though, why wasn't the message that I had won sent to my email address, which my wife would have seen in a timely fashion because she checked that about everyday while I was "laid up" in bed. (she doesn't log onto this site though)
I could only surmise that it is because you are encouraging people to go to this site often, or miss out on this type of opportunity.
It kind of suggests that if your not a frequent visitor, you're not "part of our club."
No hard feelings.
Well okay, just a little maybe.

Jim Becker
06-06-2006, 8:34 PM
Mark, the drawings all require the winner to post in the thread announcing them as the winner within a proscribed time period. A good way for a less-frequent visitor to handle this is to stop by SCM once a week or so and if you see a Freestuff drawing thread, subscribe to it. In this manner, the forum software will notify you via email of new posts in the thread in case you want to monitor things.

There is no intention...no intention...of any exclusivity relative to the drawings. But yes, having to respond personally does kinda encourage folks to visit once in awhile. It really is a great community, which is a little different than most forums out there.

W Craig Wilson
06-07-2006, 8:46 PM
If you 'subscribe' to the FreeStuff Drawings forum, you can get an automatic email whenever a new posting appears. Sure is helpful for those of us who have a real life and only occaisionally get time to visit the Creek.

Z_Aaron Koehl
06-08-2006, 2:32 PM
Mark,

Actually, I did send you a PM in case you visited the 'Creek but didn't get a chance to visit the drawing thread; alas, better luck next time!