PDA

View Full Version : Buddy’s table saw accident (w pics) – CA glue, stitches or amputate?

rick fulton
04-25-2006, 9:08 AM
My buddy had a table saw accident this weekend. Gross pics follow. Not for the faint of heart.

Guess he needs a new prosthesis (part # X1104004).

rick

John Miliunas
04-25-2006, 9:14 AM
EeeeeeeeeeeeeeKKKKKK!!!! :eek: Gee Rick, I'm really glad it wasn't any worse than that. Yeah, I think the prosthesis will be the best way to go. :D However, I am kind of curious to know how your buddy got so close to the alleged perpetrator of the crime??? :confused: :) :cool:

Tyler Howell
04-25-2006, 9:50 AM
They are doing wonderful things with reattachment surgery these days.:eek:
Did you pack the avulsed part in ice for the trip to the ER???

Mark Rios
04-25-2006, 10:00 AM
As an EMT I can speak here in an official capacity.

How dare you let it go so long without taking it to the hospital! Now, to prevent infection and possibly spreading that infection, you must take some precautions. I recommend that you carefully wrap the part AND the table saw in a red haz-mat bag and remove them from the shop. Next, go to your favorite woodworkiing machine store and get a new TS complete with all accessories.

Oh yeah, get something for your wife too.

Glad that your not hurt Rick. Enjoy shopping for the replacement stuff. :D :D :D

David Stonner
04-25-2006, 10:01 AM
asdsadfsadfsd

Mark Singer
04-25-2006, 11:26 AM
I have the same Buddy....take better care of him...he is a great helper

Bill Lewis
04-25-2006, 11:57 AM
They are doing wonderful things with reattachment surgery these days.:eek:
Did you pack the avulsed part in ice for the trip to the ER???Geez Tyler, you completely missed the opportunity to suggest using a the shop thong for a tourniquet. Yer slippin'

Dev Emch
04-25-2006, 2:38 PM
What? There is only one photo and all it has is a saw jig on the table. Did managment edit out the medical photos again?

Dev Emch
04-25-2006, 2:39 PM
Oh, O.K. Bit slow on the uptake this morning. You got me all excited.

Vaughn McMillan
04-25-2006, 2:52 PM
Anybody wanna sell Dev a bridge? :D

- Vaughn

john whittaker
04-25-2006, 3:01 PM
I lost my buddy in a similar mishap....now all I have is a Pal.

Dev.....WAKE UP !!!

Dev Emch
04-25-2006, 3:06 PM
I lost my buddy in a similar mishap....now all I have is a Pal.

Dev.....WAKE UP !!!

Yah, figured I would take the butt of the joke this morning. I was going to say...

HEY! Where's Da Beef!

Christopher Stahl
04-25-2006, 3:58 PM
I do have some very nice swamp land in Florida to sell Dev. :)

Tyler Howell
04-25-2006, 4:12 PM
Geez Tyler, you completely missed the opportunity to suggest using a the shop thong for a tourniquet. Yer slippin'
Bill, Bill, Bill Don't you know Tourniquets are obsolete. Too muck tissue damage.
A Shop thong may be used however during recovery for a sling.

Dev Emch
04-25-2006, 11:50 PM
I do have some very nice swamp land in Florida to sell Dev. :)

What do you think old Walt purchased when he needed to ensonch the Mighty Rodent and his gang including those darling little darfs?:D Amazing what a little french drain can do....

Steve Clardy
04-26-2006, 9:53 AM
------and I had seconds thoughts about opening this one up. Lol

"Gary Brewer"
01-04-2007, 5:52 PM
The board buddies vs the gripper system? Anyone have any thoughts on what is preferable? They seem mutually exclusive so if you used only one which one would it be?
Thanks for any advise,
Gary Brewer

Aaron Beaver
01-04-2007, 6:25 PM
What caused the buddy to get chewed up so bad?? Did I miss that part.

J. Scott Chambers
01-04-2007, 6:56 PM

My guess would be the saw blade.

Robert Mahon
01-05-2007, 9:18 AM
The true mark of a good Buddy is his willingness to give his life to save you pain and suffering.
In this case, your Buddy's unselfish act is commendable.
However, you should be ashamed of yourself; jeapordizing your Buddy's well-being with an unthinking act is a heinous crime.

Wayne Watling
01-05-2007, 10:16 AM
Even Sawstop could not have saved your buddy :D

Mark Singer
01-05-2007, 11:28 AM
Oh my gosh...yellow blood every where.....your friend took a big chance being so close to the blade....maybe he could have rolled with the punches....and then spring back, not not your buddy he holds down to his ideas strongly.....if he were on the fence about things it would have been different...well I think we should table this discussion...now he is not on the fence any more and is bent out of shape with the incident...I think he has a screw loose at least one ....what did he expect for acting like such a big wheel...always pushing others around and keeping them down like that! He acts like he is brave , but we know he is yellow inside and outside...Jim Croce had a song about Big Jim Walker and how he got cut up in several places and sliced in a couple more..

They say you don't tug on Superman's cape.
You don't spit into the wind.
You don't pull the mask off the ol' Lone Ranger
and you don't mess around with Jim.

Now a hush fell over the pool room
When Jimmy come boppin' in off the street.
And when the cuttin' was done the only part that wasn't bloody
Was the bopttoms of the big man's feet.
Yeah he was cut in hundred places and he was shot in a couple more
And you better believe it was a different kinda story
When Big Jim hit the floor. awwww huh.

.so thats the destiny of big wheels that hang out with buddies with sharp blades and on the wrong side of the fence...trying to keep the little guys down:confused:

Jim O'Dell
01-05-2007, 11:37 AM
Yeah, I'd put Buddy right up there with the guy that jumped on the student to keep him from being killed by the subway train the other day.
It was a very heroic act by Buddy. I salute you! Jim.

Ted Baca
01-05-2007, 5:00 PM
I'm not looking for any pity here, but I don't even have a Buddy. But if I did would never let that happen to him. In my shop I am old fashioned, Boards of a Feather keep things together...

Al Willits
01-05-2007, 5:52 PM
I'm changing' my weekend doings to, removing my buddies from harm's way and put them where they won't get hurt.....because I care!

Ya know any good plastic surgeons btw???

Al...strange group of people here....but a friendly bunch..:D

rick fulton
01-05-2007, 6:12 PM

I am to blame. For this i have many a sleepless nights. I failed to tighten down the horizontal locking screws after making an adjustment. Poor guy never had a chance.

rick

Bill Esposito
01-06-2007, 9:57 AM
Rick,

Did you make that insert? Why the holes along the sides of the kerf?

rick fulton
01-07-2007, 2:10 AM
Did you make that insert? Why the holes along the sides of the kerf?

Bill,

I made that insert from some scrap walnut. It seemed that my zero-clearance inserts kick off a lot more sawdust than the factory insert. I thought it might help to give the area close to the blade a bit more down draft from the dust collection draw inside the cabinet saw. But of course, most of the times the holes are covered by the lumber being sawn, which does not help much. But it does help a little when ripping thin strips or cross cutting narrow stock.

The picture also shows how I modified (narrowed) my Biesemeyer blade guard. I thought it would increase the effectiveness of the dust collection by focusing the suction on a smaller area. Did it help? I can’t tell.

In general I’m sorely disappointed in all my dust collection attempts. Thanks for asking.

rick

Jim Dunn
01-07-2007, 9:31 AM
Me thinks his insurance rates are going to sky rocket.