PDA

View Full Version : Steve's Olly-What color???

John Miliunas
04-25-2006, 9:05 AM
OK, so after talking to Steve about colors for his "new" Oliver lathe, we decided to bring it up as an "official" poll. These are the color suggestions he originally came up with:

Original puke green color
Chevelle Red
Lime Green
White

I, came up with a couple other suggestions, which I will also include in the poll. Whatever the color, there will be flames on it and probably some other pinstriping, so keep that in mind when making your selection. :D So, even if you vote for the original puke green, it will be jazzed up! :D

Come on folks, let's help Steve with suggestions and be a part of this great resto! :) :cool:

:eek: Oooooooooooooops!!! :eek: Steve just reminded me to put in what was set for the time limit. We have seven days for the life of this poll!!! Get out and vote!!! If you have "other" suggestions, make sure and put them in your comments.:D

Ken Fitzgerald
04-25-2006, 9:20 AM
Original Puke green. I'm a traditionalist!:rolleyes:

Steve Ash
04-25-2006, 9:36 AM
Thanks John, and all the rest of you for your opinions. I figure that since I will probably not ever sell this lathe and instead give it to my son Chris who was the reason I bought a lathe in the first place, that restoring it back to color wasn't all that important (but I will if that's the way the vote turns out and also understand why). I'm of the opinion that restoring it back mechanically is first priority and color can always be changed if I need to for some unforseeable reason.

I also told John that this might be a nice way for all of you to get in on the fun and be a part of the restoration process. So go ahead and vote and give opinions... Thanks!:D

David Fried
04-25-2006, 9:56 AM
Well, I voted for Red but I still think you should chrome it!!

Pete Jordan
04-25-2006, 9:59 AM
Steve,

After taking my class to the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn Michigan, I vote for the original color. They have so many wonderful machines on display.

Pete

Bernie Weishapl
04-25-2006, 10:05 AM
Hey Steve I think it ought to be metal flake chevelle red. :cool: :p

I vote for whatever you think best. It's not the color that makes the turning any better. Can't wait to see it done.

Keith Burns
04-25-2006, 10:07 AM
Had not thought about chrome until David mentioned it. Now chrome would be so COOL:)

Jerry Olexa
04-25-2006, 10:12 AM
Packer Green N gold!! Has Brett made a decision??

Mark Rios
04-25-2006, 10:24 AM
OOOooooooohhhhhhhhh!!!!...........I vote for chrome also. Then, when it's placed in your shop, you can install a high intensity spot light and point it directly at the base and light up the rest of your neighborhood. :D :D :D

Seriously, is chrome an option? Might cost alot but it would be nice. Man, I bet the chrome shop hadn't done one of those before.

Ok, I just had a variant idea. My dad started his auto body career in a chrome shop. When he would customize cars, sometimes they would copper plate some items (as opposed to chrome plating them). Very classy. One of a kind and very pretty. Don't forget the Candy Apple Red work mat in front.

Andy Hoyt
04-25-2006, 10:43 AM
Navy issue Red Lead Primer.

Cecil Arnold
04-25-2006, 10:57 AM
Even though I voted for original green, I'm disappointed in John :rolleyes: for leaving out MUSTARD :) when he included white. John you know what that kind of discrimination can lead to.;) :D

Bob Noles
04-25-2006, 10:59 AM
We are covered with mayo and mustard around here, so I go for the (ketchup) red. This way I won't have the only red lathe on SMC :p

Jeff Horton
04-25-2006, 11:10 AM
I am faced with the same choices (just different colors). My DeWalt was a dark gray and I really don't like gray machines. I am sooo tempted to paint all my machines bright red. :D But I am traditionalist at heart, so I will probably go with a color that at least looks like it could be original

I admire you Steve for trusting this bunch to pick you colors! Of course I think your nuts too, but I an admired nut.

Lee DeRaud
04-25-2006, 11:31 AM
Tyler-thong Pink :eek:

(...or is it actually purple? I've never looked close enough to tell.:cool: )

Steve Ash
04-25-2006, 11:56 AM
Seriously, is chrome an option? Might cost alot but it would be nice. Man, I bet the chrome shop hadn't done one of those before.

No, my pockets aren't that deep to do it in chrome....however I have given some thought to some chrome accents along the bottom edge of the bed rail. Chrome goes good with any of the color choices so I'll be glad to put a little chrome on the machine as well.

Mike Ramsey
04-25-2006, 12:03 PM
Original! Original! Original!

Chris Rolke
04-25-2006, 12:04 PM
chevelle red with stripes :)

Dennis Peacock
04-25-2006, 12:22 PM
Chevelle Red!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D

Mark Pruitt
04-25-2006, 12:39 PM
Red. Very, very RED. :cool: (Why not?)

Michael Cody
04-25-2006, 1:32 PM
Steve ... I am a traditionalist so I voted Olly-Green, but if you go with some other color the only choices (in metal flake of course) are as the song said, Candy Apple Red or Midnight Blue -- with chrome accents would be nice, like the handles maybe ..

Some pin-stripes would be nice but I am not sure about flames, possible though. Can't wait to see this restored...

Wes Bischel
04-25-2006, 1:44 PM
Lime green metallic with ghost flames in a white/yellow pearl!

Maybe it's because my Falcon is lime green that I'm voting for it. (no, - no ghost flames) Actually I'm not much of a green guy, but the new Mustangs have a nice updated lime green metallic on them. Oh, and if you do go with lime green, your Ollie will forever be known as the booger green lathe.:D

I think anything you go with will be great as long as it makes you smile while using it!

Wes

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-25-2006, 3:06 PM
I say have some fun with it and make it RED, the story will be great as well, put that Chevelle SS logo on it some where as well.

Don't matter that much, as soon it will be all brown with shavings.......... actually, it does matter, if you painted it brown, you may not find it again :eek:

Whatever Steve decides to do, I'm VERY sure it will look VERY cool! :cool:

Cheers!

Chris Barton
04-25-2006, 8:21 PM
David Marks a similar (identical?) Olly and his is a royal blue with white trim. It looks smart.

Dale Thompson
04-25-2006, 8:40 PM
Whatever the color, there will be flames on it and probably some other pinstriping, so keep that in mind when making your selection. :D

Hey Spring,
It should also have a revolving red light on the top and an OOO-GA horn! :cool: :rolleyes: :D
Dale T.

John Miliunas
04-25-2006, 8:45 PM
Hey Spring,
It should also have a revolving red light on the top and an OOO-GA horn! :cool: :rolleyes: :D
Dale T.

You know, I never noticed... You didn't drive that all the way to La Crosse, did you??? :eek: :confused: :D :cool:

Matt Meiser
04-25-2006, 9:09 PM
Aren't flames for the pieces that don't turn out well?

I like seeing stuff restored to its original glory, so I vote for the original green.

Don Baer
04-25-2006, 9:13 PM
I voted green. I kinda like the "Original"

and you can't call her molly cause I that names already taken..

Dale Thompson
04-25-2006, 9:54 PM
You know, I never noticed... You didn't drive that all the way to La Crosse, did you??? :eek: :confused: :D :cool:

Hey Spring,
You, of all people, should know better than to ask a question like that. :( I'm NOT that stupid!! :rolleyes: With the price of gas these days, I let Cousin John PUSH it to LaCrosse!! :cool: SHEESCH!! Anyway, what does a TI person do aside from avoid a REAL job?? :confused: ;) :)

Dale T.

Dev Emch
04-25-2006, 9:55 PM
There are machines and then there are olivers....

what else.... OLIVER TEAL!

Frank Chaffee
04-25-2006, 10:08 PM
Original! Original! Original!
Yes Steve,
This is an excellent opportunity for you to display original work!
Select from those many colors and textures, from red lead oxide paint to the metallic embedded shiny ones. Chrome plating will be good too, but don’t overlook TnCad w/CR either for hardware! Makes a pretty color, with less expense than gold leaf.
BTW, ready or not, I WILL see you last week end of June, so gird your loins!
Frank

Jim Dunn
04-25-2006, 10:22 PM
I voted other. I like the grey used on delta and most other "industrial" machines. The only other color I would go for is the original.

Steve Ash
04-25-2006, 10:23 PM
BTW, ready or not, I WILL see you last week end of June, so gird your loins!
Frank

Frank, that's cool....must be your fellow cheeseheads spilled the beans. :D

Vaughn McMillan
04-26-2006, 2:09 AM
Tally another for SS Red with flames, pinstripes and SS logo if appropriate. I also think the speed control dial would look cool in chrome.
:)

- Vaughn

Barry Stratton
04-26-2006, 2:34 AM
Red w/flames would be a great color - if it WASN'T an OLIVER!!!!!!!!!!!

I gotta go with the original Olly Green but think brass would look better than chrome...... but I'm color blind.....and left handed......and live in a place where there's still some snow in my yard........

Christopher K. Hartley
04-26-2006, 7:12 AM
I voted white just so I would remain faithful.

Steve Ash
04-26-2006, 8:00 AM
Hey John, what do we do if it is a tie? Olly green and Chevelle SS red are running neck and neck.....better check for hanging chads.:eek: :D

Ken Fitzgerald
04-26-2006, 8:17 AM
Green with a Chevelle Red racing stripe?

Red Head stock.....Green tailstock/

Red Stocks....Green bed and legs.....

Chevelle Red with a green racing stripe?

Green with a Chevelle Red flame?

:confused: :eek: :D

Keith July
04-26-2006, 9:29 AM
What about maze and blue.:D
Keith

John Miliunas
04-26-2006, 9:51 AM
Hey John, what do we do if it is a tie? Olly green and Chevelle SS red are running neck and neck.....better check for hanging chads.:eek: :D

Aw heck, Steve. That's easy!!! If there's a tie between the Chevelle SS Red and the Olly Green, you'll just have to go to Packer Green 'n Gold!!! :D :D :D

Seriously, if there's a true tie, I'll just blast up another poll with a one or two day limit with only those two choices. BUT, we still have the better part of a week to go, you know! :)

BTW, looks like St. Brett will be coming back, if the "official" rumors are correct!!! (Kinda' makes that Green 'n Gold combination a bit more tempting, doanit'???!!!):D :cool:

Tim Armstrong
04-26-2006, 2:55 PM
I'm so very tempted to vote for Packer Green and Gold and in many ways I'm a traditionalist so the original would be nice too but since it sounds like it's going to get the flames one way or the other, I gotta vote for the red. I think it will look awesome. Besides - how many red machines are there in a shop. This baby would stand out anyway but the red will really steal the show.

BTW, glad to see blaze orange is not on it's way to the top of the list. You know, that's a popular color up north there.

Cheers

Steve Ash
04-26-2006, 3:47 PM
What about maze and blue.:D
Keith

Keith, being I am graduate of Michigan State University you KNOW I detest those colors....next time we go fishing you better bring your swimming trunks cause you might be going in the drink! :D ....and your life jacket!:cool:

Jim Young
04-26-2006, 6:09 PM
I voted original color. If for some reason you ever do decide to sell it, the value will be higher. Reasons to sell it - loss of interest, given as gift to one of your close biddies, financial woes, given as gift to one of your close buddies, better lathe comes along, given as gift to one of your close buddies or some big shot comes along thinking its a really rare original.

Dick Strauss
04-26-2006, 9:19 PM
Hey, we used to have a puke green car that would haul ash! We had a puke green (metalic I think) 69 Ford station wagon with a 390 that would do some serious hauling. Go puke green!

Keith Christopher
04-26-2006, 9:25 PM
Get it nickel or copper plated. :eek: I voted SS red. I mean come on the SS kicked *SS......

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-28-2006, 10:15 AM
Was going to go with oriig color. Maybe I still think so. The first impulse was the Camaro Red or the puke gree, but I selected OTHER.

Other because there are other colors, tints and endless possibilities.

How about using a sprayer and airbrush to do flames and a cool graphic of a babbit bearing jointer rocketing into outerspace and all done in layered semi transluscent colors to get deep metallic effects.

Larry Cooke
04-28-2006, 12:01 PM
Steve,

I just voted for the Red, if you're doing flames then there's just no other choice! Besides It's match that Chevelle you have a picture of. :)

Larry

Russ Massery
04-28-2006, 12:35 PM
I would stay with the orginal color for resale sake. I'm big restoring to the original color and specs. But that's just opinion.:rolleyes:

Michael Stafford
04-28-2006, 1:06 PM
I think it should be a nice soothing color like teal or aqua. While turning you don't want to be influenced by hot colors like red or weak colors like mayo and mustard...:p While turning you should be one with the wood and the machine and colors that promote meditation and introspection while providing a background for creative thought are my choice....;)

I vote for teal!!!

Larry James
04-28-2006, 4:53 PM
Oliver green - check here.

http://www.olivermachinery.com/Restoration/index.html

Corey Hallagan
04-28-2006, 11:27 PM
I think that the Chevelle red would be cool but Steve might like a break from the red. I think white would be cool with the SS badge as well. White is what I voted for.

Corey

Jim Young
04-29-2006, 9:02 AM
Amazing, 44 votes each. Can't believe the even split.

John Miliunas
04-29-2006, 9:46 AM
OK folks, I've given this quite a bit of thought and, in case of a tie, here's what I've decided: The masses here at the Creek, who are interested in this whole process will have spoken at the end of day 6. Primarily through Steve, his Dad, son and even his wife Judy have had input into much of what we see come from Steve's shop. The one person who has not been able to be "active" throughout is Steve's Mom. So, if it ties in the end, I will ask Steve to print out the tally, as well as the comments, if he so chooses and bring it all to his Mom. SHE will then make the deciding vote!:)

Yes, I thought of doing this with another 2-choice poll but, that would simply start the process over. A week is plenty of time. Besides, I have my own reasons for this, which I'm sure Steve understands. So, with all due respect to the members here, I'd rather not hear of any other methods for a tie-breaker, as my mind is made up and that's just the way it's gonna' be! Well, unless if Steve himself chooses to do it another way!:o

That said, it may not come to a tie-breaker, as we still have a couple days of voting left. Personally, I have no qualms with closing it right now as it stands and leaving the final decision up to Steve's Mom! But, fair is fair and, unless Mr. Ash says otherwise, let the voting continue! Have fun! :D :cool:

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-29-2006, 9:52 AM
Wanna bet Steve's Mom, says "Steve, which color of paint would you have to BUY..........?" and then she would choose the paint he already has.....

I know a few "Farm" Moms, and they know how much a loaf of store bought bread costs ;) :D

Fun thread any way you look at it!

Steve Ash
04-29-2006, 9:02 PM
Well John, I know what my Mom is going to say if I show her this thread and let her be the deciding factor. This lady is a devout Packer fan, she broke her leg in the parking lot of Lambeau field in mid December going to a game, she will want to know why there weren't more votes for Packer Green and Gold.....:D

Anyway John, sounds like a good way to determine the color if it is in fact a tie by the time limit.....and just a point of interest, I have not, nor will not vote....it's up to the creek. Hope it's been a fun thread and not a pain in the "Keith July" :eek:

Ken Fitzgerald
04-29-2006, 9:31 PM
Since it appears to be a tie.......I know it's not a novel idea......but what about a coin toss witnessed by the LOYL and a posted picture of the results?:confused:

Don Baer
05-01-2006, 6:42 PM
Bumping to the top so Steve can get busy painting.

I still like Olly Green

John Miliunas
05-01-2006, 10:19 PM
Well folks, we've got less than 12 hours to go, at this point. It's either a couple more SS Reds, 40 Green 'n Golds or the sucker is going to end up Green! :eek: If I'm not swamped with another major Network issue (at work) in the morning, I'll try and see where she ends up right at 8:05. :) :cool:

Dale Thompson
05-01-2006, 10:52 PM
swamped with another major Network issue

So THAT is what a PI or IP or IT or TI or whatever does for a living. ;) You mess around in swamps looking for trouble! :eek: :D Now that I've got this one down pat, what is a "Network"? :confused: ;)

Hey, with your brutal POWER as a "MAD MOD", why not just throw in 250 votes for the Green and Gold? :confused: Nobody would EVER guess and you've got until 8:30 tomorrow morning. :cool: Do I have to counsel you on EVERYTHING? :( :D

Dale T.

Andy Hoyt
05-02-2006, 9:26 AM
Is it too late to suggest a tiedyed color scheme?:D

John Miliunas
05-02-2006, 9:33 AM
VOTING IS NOW CLOSED!!!

Well, it looks as though the masses have spoken! Steve, old buddy, looks like you're into the Olly Green! However, I have all the confidence in the world that you'll be "dressing" it up enough to make it "interesting" and to keep the hot rodders out here happy, as well! Good luck and keep us posted! :)

Thanks to all for your participation and suggestions. We'll be keeping a close eye on future progress! :) :cool: