PDA

View Full Version : Spindle duplcator with router - Did it!

Lars Thomas
04-25-2006, 9:03 AM
Has anyone made a spindle duplicator using a router? If you've got them, I'd love to see some pixs and construction details.

I am thinking of track for the router to ride in and following a template. I think a straight bit cutting on the front side of the lathe would eliminate the possibility of the turning 'pushing' the router into the air. The cutting action would be done along the length of the router bit (spindle is about 1-3/8" x 16"). The 'spindles' I am duplicating are realtively simple shapes.

A secondary question . . . would you recommend using my 1 hp Dewalt or my 3-1/4hp VS PC? The turning will be done in groups of 15 or so.

Anyway, all advice is appreciated. Thanks. Lars

Quinn McCarthy
04-25-2006, 9:31 AM
Lars

Something like what Legacy makes? http://www.legacywoodworking.com/

I don't know how it does for duplicating but it works somewhat like you are describing. Vega makes a router attachment for their duplicator but it is for spiral turning.

Lars Thomas
04-27-2006, 11:30 PM
Quinn, thanks for the input. That helped.

This is what I came up with. It sits atop the headstock. The tail end has 'V' shaped block that rests on the tailstock. I also clamp it to the tool-rest for additional stability. It is VERY sturdy. Since the picture was taken, I drilled large holes in the front vertical support so I could see the centers to mount a new blank. In the second picture you can see how it turns out. Just a minute or two to clean up the knob-end, sand and it's done. I sand it with my ROS.

It was taking me about 25 minutes to make each bat prior to the jig. Now it's closer to 8, maybe 10 - which includes cutting the blank.

This jig was really just a test. As you can see, the router can't reach the knob end of the bat. When I make the real thing, I will resolve that problem. I will also incorporate some dust collection.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-28-2006, 1:00 AM
Looks good Lars!

I gather you are doing it this way for repeatability and for speed?

Make sure you show us the finished project, the jig and the bats!

Cheers!

Lars Thomas
04-28-2006, 7:15 AM
Stu, Yes, it is is for speed and consistency. Right now I just had 15 to make. But I'd like to make more. . . they are for kids baseball end-of-season 'trophies'. One of our own SMC Laser engravers will engrave them for me.

Quinn McCarthy
04-28-2006, 8:42 AM
Lars

That turned out really great! The one thing I have done on a couple of router jigs I built for the lathe was to use Lexan for the top and /or router base so I can see clearly what is going on down there.

Lars Thomas
04-29-2006, 1:53 AM
Quinn, that's the plan for the real thing. I have cut lexan, but never had to fasten it. What do I use to put the different pieces together? Lars