PDA

View Full Version : Attention NORAD.... we have multiple lift offs......

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-25-2006, 2:54 AM
Oh yeah, big time Dungeon launches!! :eek:

Nothing damaged but my pride! :)

I wanted to turn something, anything, so I had this chunk of Sakura here, first I cut it.......

A couple of screws on my fast and dirty resaw sled.....

...and Big Blue earns his keep!

I put a face plate on the back of this blank, as I'm going to try to do a NE :eek:

There, bottom done, the tenon turned, time to get the chuck out...

All chucked up ready to do the inside of the bowl..........

Cont.....

04-25-2006, 3:03 AM
....so I barely get going on the inside and BAM....... :eek:

Not even a big catch, really just a minor one, but it came off.
Upon closer inspection the dark area of the wood was really soft and punky.....

go to the jamb chuck mode to return the tennon...

Tennon returned, but I'll admit, I still had a few more get offs, mainly as the spindle gouge I'm using don't like the inside of the bowl, the outside I can get nice cuts, but the inside is a lot harder... :(

Here is the bottom of the rough out, I had to work hard to get the bottom thinner than the sides, as I learned on Mr. Grumbine's DVD.

and the top, I've got a ton of inclusions and other defects, so I got out the CA glue and got sticky fingers.

I'll let this one dry in the paper bag, don't think the boiling method will work so well with the NE..... (Will it?).

Certainly was fun, but I NEED a real bowl gouge, this other thing I have sucks for the inside. A good scraper would help too.

Well, now I have to deliver some beer!

Cheers!

Mark Rios
04-25-2006, 3:39 AM
Stu, from your post I have gotten an iota of what is involved in turning. But, now I know that I better stay away from it. If it was me there in your shop, I just know that I'd have wodd flying from there to here....some of it on the roof....some of it sticking out of me......maybe some of it sticking out of you.......who knows where it would end up.

I'll just keep watching, thank you.

04-25-2006, 3:42 AM
Stu, from your post I have gotten an iota of what is involved in turning. But, now I know that I better stay away from it. If it was me there in your shop, I just know that I'd have wood flying from there to here....some of it on the roof....some of it sticking out of me......maybe some of it sticking out of you.......who knows where it would end up.

I'll just keep watching, thank you.

It is not all that bad, this one did not even get more than 3 feet airborne.

I learned real early to stay out of the line of fire, just bounced on the floor, which was ankle deep in shavings, but the one edge caught the toolrest on the way by, so I lost a bit of the bark, I'll use some branding iron to make it look somewhat respectable, I guess they call that an artistic opportunity :D

Jim Davenport
04-25-2006, 5:50 AM
Welcome to the "bowl launching olympics":eek:
You have a great start on that natural edge.
You really need to geet a bowl gouge. I had purchased a 3/8" on closeout from Woodcraft, reground it with an "Ellsworth grind". It made a big difference in my turning. I just bought a 1/2" "Ellsworth grind" gouge, but haven't used it yet.

Christopher K. Hartley
04-25-2006, 6:26 AM
Dang Stu! Along with all your other talents you now add Teaching, Instructional Development and finally Rocket Science. Is there nothing you can't do?;)

Bruce Shiverdecker
04-25-2006, 6:29 AM
Stu............ to SAVE YOUR SANITY and you HEALTH, please do NOT use a Spindle Gouge on the INSIDE of a bowl. Danger.............Danger................Danger!
Either an Irish Grind BOWL gouge or Scraper will do the job there.

Want to have you around for a while!

Bruce

John Hart
04-25-2006, 6:32 AM
Way to go Stu! Your first NE! I think she's gonna move big time on you during the drying time though. Hopefully, you'll be able to get it round again. That's gonna be nice looking.:)

04-25-2006, 6:43 AM
Way to go Stu! Your first NE! I think she's gonna move big time on you during the drying time though. Hopefully, you'll be able to get it round again. That's gonna be nice looking.:)

Ya, that Sakura surely moves a lot, but it sure does look NICE! :D

Bruce, thanks for the concern, I'm learning the hard way!

The spindle gouge is ground with a BIGTIME Irish grind, but still, it don't work so well. Thing is, I don't have a good scraper, the one I have is really a short stubby thing, it is thin and vibrates a lot, so it is not so good either.

I REALLY need to get some better tools.

Cheers!

Ed Lang
04-25-2006, 8:45 AM
Stu,
With all of the metal work you have done, find a bar of HSS and make your own scraper! then turn a handle and go at the next bowl!

04-25-2006, 8:53 AM
Stu,
With all of the metal work you have done, find a bar of HSS and make your own scraper! then turn a handle and go at the next bowl!

Easier said than done Ed,I'm looking but the only pieces I can find are too short, they are for making stuff for metal lathes....

Cheers!

Bernie Weishapl
04-25-2006, 10:24 AM
Stu looks like you are going to have a nice NE bowl. By the way welcome to bowl launching 101.

Stu my friend, Bruce said it best. No spindle gouge inside a bowl. Put a fingernail grind back on your spindle gouge and get you a 3/8" and 1/2" bowl gouge with a fingernail grind or Irish grind on them. Get you a 3/4" scraper and a big 1 1/2" by 1/4" to 3/8" thick scraper. I didn't want to by a regular 1 1/2" round nose scraper and then another one with a side grind. So I bought the big round nose and put a left hand side grind on it.

04-25-2006, 2:51 PM
OK, OK, I got the Memo! :D

I'm working on it.

I'm going to pull the trigger on a new lathe soon, but I think I'm also going to put in an order at Lee Valley before I do that.

Cheers!