PDA

View Full Version : My entry into pen selling...

Curtis O. Seebeck
04-25-2006, 1:14 AM
Here are some cigar pens that I made to put in a display at a local laser engraver. He had clients in a number of days ago to look at his Chiwaneese pens and they really liked the mesquite cigar pen I made for him. They were interested so i decided to make some samples for display at his shop.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a340/MesquiteMan/Pensamples.jpg

From left to right: Texas Cherry Baron with gold, mesquite/satin copper, mesquite/gold, mesquite w turquois fill/chrome, mescalbean/chrome, spalted pecan/chrome, mesquite/satin nickel, spalted hackberry/black titanium, Luckenbach Oak/blk chrome, mescalbean/chrome, mesquite/satin gold, pecan/pearl silver, Texas ebony/chrome, mesquite/shiny copper, Texas ebony/satin nickel Baron.

Also, a friend of mine gave me an idea to have a fly laser engraved on a pen to sell in a local high end fly fishing shop. Here is the protype:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a340/MesquiteMan/Flyfishingmesquite.jpg

Please let me know what you think, good or bad. Thanks.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-25-2006, 2:02 AM
I just love them cigar pens, heck I just love them cigars too :rolleyes:

Nice, I hope you sell enough to help finance the vortex :D

Good luck!

Barry Stratton
04-25-2006, 2:45 AM
Those pens look fantastic. Great fit and finish, awesome wood, and the laser engraved fly is a perfect idea.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll do well.

Bruce Shiverdecker
04-25-2006, 6:31 AM
Nothin' to NOT like there. Great lookin' pens, Curtis.

Bruce

John Hart
04-25-2006, 6:36 AM
Nicely done Curtis. I have yet to take the plunge into selling any. After I move, I'll be looking around at some of the shops in my area. Maybe I can pay off the house...one pen at a time!;) :)

Blake McCully
04-25-2006, 7:30 AM
Curtis,
Great looking pens. I too like making the cigar pens. I think they are a better pen for a beginner to start out making rather than the slim line, which is what is usually recommended for beginners. There's too much chance of a blow-out with the slim line since the wood skin is so thin.

How much are you planning to sell them for, if you don't mind me asking? I sell my for $37.50 and they really go. If I have them engraved I ususally charge whatever I have to pay for engraving.

Again, great work.

Bernie Weishapl
04-25-2006, 10:37 AM
Those are some mighty fine pens Curtis. That is some nice work. I hope they sell good for you. Help finance the addiction.

Rich Stewart
04-25-2006, 10:58 AM
I really like the engraving. I had thought about how cool it would be to have one to do pens. Found out a cheap one is like 15 grand. lol
talk about spending for tools. A guy would have to do some serious engraving to pay for one of them. I thought maybe they would have a hobby type one. Great bunch of pens you got there. Hope they sell good.

Michael Cody
04-25-2006, 12:04 PM
I just love them cigar pens, heck I just love them cigars too :rolleyes:

Nice, I hope you sell enough to help finance the vortex :D

Good luck!

Stu, you ought to turn some pens for the L-Shop ... bet you can sell them there fine .. not to mention some wine stoppers maybe - don't know how big wine is in Japan..

Mike Ramsey
04-25-2006, 12:09 PM
Those are some great looking pens Mr. Seebeck!

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-25-2006, 3:00 PM
Stu, you ought to turn some pens for the L-Shop ... bet you can sell them there fine .. not to mention some wine stoppers maybe - don't know how big wine is in Japan..

Well it is not as big as beer or Sake, but still fairly big.

Last count I have just over 5000 bottle is the wine cellar, worth a cool $250,000 (cost not retail) :eek:

It has taken me 10 years to build up that stock. With the expensive stuff, I try to buy three cases, sell two, which then pays for the the one left over to sit for 10 to 20 years and increase in value and improve in quality.

I'm going to do the pens and the wine stopper for sure.

Cheers!