PDA

View Full Version : Electrolysis results

Jeff Horton
04-24-2006, 11:09 PM
After 48 hours in the trailer tank and about 10 minutes with ROS and a few 80 grit pads. I dried it with an air hose and it was trying to rust as fast as I could dry it.

http://www.kudzupatch.com/woodshop/DeWaltras/basestrip.jpg

Inside didn't fair as well as the outside. It's a very directional process and I had no safe way to get the anode in site of the innards of the base. But it still softened up the paint a good bit. Should clean really easy.

http://www.kudzupatch.com/woodshop/DeWaltras/basestrip2.jpg

I now have one of the really rusty legs in a small tub cleaning.

Steve Clardy
04-25-2006, 12:10 AM
Looking good!

Dev Emch
04-25-2006, 2:54 AM
Excellent start. Lookin Giiid!!!!

Now, if you span some 2x4s across the top of the tank and attach some 1/2 inch rebar attached to the 2x4s with heavy duty staples or brackets, then you can get the anodes into the tight spaces your having issues with. Bend the rebar sections into an L shape and nail down to the lumber. Then wire them all together with say 12 gage or 10 gage copper wire. Make sure you dont have any copper below the solution.

My tank was running for days now but I had to shut it down this morning. The snow is back!:mad: Typical weather for us. Wait a couple of days and the sun will be back.

Are you going to weld some of those holes shut? How about installing one of those Mr. Sawdust tables?

P.S. Take some light copper wire and wire up a styrofoam coffee cup so that you dont poke any holes in it. Then hook the cup up upside down over one of the items in the tank to collect those tiny scrubbing bubbles. After a couple of hours, hit it with a propane touch and make sure your clear of the tank! Guaranteed to take away any bordom!!!!!!! And make sure your kids dont see you doing this!!!

John A. Williams
04-25-2006, 9:35 AM
Jeff, I must have missed something, but how doe you strip with electrolysis? Do you have a tank of some sort? What is in it? Why not beadblast? Can you describe the process?
John

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-25-2006, 9:41 AM
I have used Ethanhol, Methanhol, fuel oil, or kero when cleaning freshly etched steel to prevent that annoying flash rust from forming. The petro products drive water off the metal. The alchohols bond to the water and evaporate it rather swistly. I prefer the perto products over alchohol

When I'm done I use spirits or MEK to degrease the steel.
Then off to my friend the powder coater.