PDA

View Full Version : Jig / Stop for repeat dados??

Joe Wood
04-24-2006, 9:59 PM
OK, I need to make these repeat dados across a 2x4. Anyone have any suggestions for the type of jig I could use? Links to any pics or articles? I'll be doing these on the radial arm ..

I guess I'll be needing to mount some type of a key stop on the fence that I can slip the last dado into, not quite sure as to the best way to do this.

Dino Makropoulos
04-24-2006, 10:13 PM
OK, I need to make these repeat dados across a 2x4. Anyone have any suggestions for the type of jig I could use? Links to any pics or articles? I'll be doing these on the radial arm ..

I guess I'll be needing to mount some type of a key stop on the fence that I can slip the last dado into, not quite sure as to the best way to do this.
Hi Joe.
How many 2x4s?, depth and width.
For just one you already have the answer.

Ok. I saw the picture better now.
Make the first two cuts and that should tell you where to position the flip stop.

richard poitras
04-24-2006, 10:27 PM
All you need is a toggle clamp just screw one to a piece of wood and mount it by the edge of the blade ,make one dado and then move the piece over and lock the toggle clamp in the grove, cut next dado, unlock slide wood over,then lock, cut next dado, EZ as can be and you problem already have a toogle clamp

Bruce Wrenn
04-24-2006, 10:47 PM
I would do them on my radial arm saw. Use dado set (Freud SD 208) and flip down stop.

Joe Wood
04-24-2006, 10:49 PM
Flip stop .. hmmmm. Anyone have a pic of that?

toggle clamp .. hmmm, I do have one somewhere ..

here's my RAS setup. I have a piece of 5/4 x 2 ipe as the fence. You can just see the fence over to the left there.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/JoeWood_/Double%20Gate%20Construction/10.jpg

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-25-2006, 9:48 AM
You could do it on your TS & dado blade with a jig made exactly as you would for finger joints.
A board clamped to the Crosscut fence with a Little piece the exact size of the slot inset into the board and projecting out from the board so that each dado you cut will set nicely into the piece thereby locking the work-piece into the exact position for each subsequent dado cut.

Ken Belisle
04-25-2006, 12:11 PM
Joe,

Try out the link below to get some ideas on different types of flip stops.

http://www.woodhaven.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=120

Dave Richards
04-25-2006, 5:46 PM
Maybe something like this? Real quick just to give you an idea.