PDA

View Full Version : Points of Interest - Knoxville and Nashville, TN and Paducah, KY

Thomas Canfield
04-24-2006, 9:57 PM
I will be making a trip in a few weeks and have some time during the week in the Knoxville

Bruce Shiverdecker
04-24-2006, 10:06 PM
Knowville.......................Fort Knox (Bring me a sample)

Nashville......................... The Grand Old OPRY ................. Great Country Music.

Pahuka........................... Kentucky Lake.................. Great Fishin'

Bruce

Thomas Canfield
04-24-2006, 10:10 PM
Please excuse the original message. I really need to learn to type on this laptop and not hit the enter key for the shift key.

Can anyone tell me some woodworking points of interest in the areas? The normal tourist activities are well known, but woodworking is a little harder to find. I will have a couple of days during the week at each area and need something to offset the quilt shops that the LOML will find. Even a good hardware store or old time lumber yard is worth a visit. We are traveling by car so not trying to pick up a lot except information. Thanks for any ideas.

Allen Bookout
04-24-2006, 10:17 PM
Forget woodworking---------Think REBA,------------------- McEntire that is.

Jamie Buxton
04-24-2006, 11:36 PM
Check this for leads -- http://www.foothillscraftguild.org/

Keel McDonald
04-25-2006, 7:12 AM
Thomas,

I live just 25 minutes West of Knoxville. I'm there at least once or twice a week. There is a Woodcraft store off exit 379, go South to Kingston Pike, then Left for about 3/4 mile, the store is on the Left in a shopping center. There is also a nice place to buy any and every type of wood you want. It's called Jeffrey's Wood Works Inc. Follow this link http://local.yahoo.com/details;_ylt=Am2hwh6dOjSnhcwg.drr0WWHNcIF;_ylu=X3o DMTBpZzIyMjd0BF9zAzk2NjEzNzY5BHNlYwNzcg--?id=15026338&state=TN&city=Knoxville&stx=jeffrey%26%2339%3Bs+wood&csz=Knoxville%2C+TN&fr=&ed=vRLvvq131DzJwiXUFQx5xA1PQ9N3TvlYFAPSu80obW3gowr qQjnJfCI-&lcscb=. This is an excellent store. Sometimes I go just for inspiration or to look around. Of course there are always the Borg's every few miles.

Robert Waddell
04-25-2006, 7:46 AM
There's also the Arromont School and gallery in Gatlinburg which is about 30-40 miles west of Knoxville. Do a google on the school and the southern Highland Guild for more information.
Rob

Keel McDonald
04-25-2006, 8:57 AM
If you don't mind a little driving, there's the Museum of Appalachia http://www.museumofappalachia.com/ located just North of Knoxville. You can see how woodworkers used to do it in the "olden" days. It's well worth the trip. I think it's just about 15 minutes up I-75.

Thomas Canfield
04-25-2006, 10:03 PM
Thanks for a couple of leads. I had seen a special about the Appalachia Museum on TV a few months back and that is one of the reasons to be in the area to check it out. Tyler has both big boxes Lowes and HD, so they don' hold much attraction, but I do admit checking them out if nothing else is available. Jeffries Woodwork is something that I will want to check out.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated - especially in Paducah.

Darl Bundren
04-25-2006, 10:11 PM
I was in Nashville, and in some mall deal over there they had a Gibson store where you could watch the luthiers working. You probably wouldn't want to spend a ton of time there, but if you are in the area you might check it out.

Keel McDonald
04-26-2006, 7:18 AM
I was in Nashville, and in some mall deal over there they had a Gibson store where you could watch the luthiers working. You probably wouldn't want to spend a ton of time there, but if you are in the area you might check it out.

That mall is Opry Mills Mall, located near where Opryland used to be. Follow the signs from I-40, you can't miss it. I believe it's a few miles North on Briley Parkway. They also have one of the coolest floors I've ever seen, especially in a mall. It's almost entirely hardwood, but the designs they've created in it are amazing.

Thomas Canfield
04-29-2006, 9:52 PM
Any ideas for Paducah, KY?????????? I looked at the AAW directory and did not even find a member there. I sure was hoping to find something near to occupy my time while my wife is looking at quilts and fabric. Maybe I will have to check out the river scene, but wood related would be more to appealing.

CPeter James
04-29-2006, 10:05 PM
If your wife(assuming you are married) is interested in sewing or quilting, visit Hancocks of Paducah. It is a giant fabric and quilting store. Also, Paducah is home of the American Quilting Society. Knowing all this gets me all the woodworking stuff I want, no questions asked.

CPeter

Thomas Canfield
05-14-2006, 9:00 PM
Trip update - The tip on Jeffrey's Wood Works in Knoxville, TN was great. I spent over an hour just walking the rows of racks of lumber drooling, and picking up some small pieces for pen blanks that would fit in the car. I sure wish the trip was in my truck, but then it would be hard to keep the wood dry for several days in the rain. They offered to cut lumber, but it would have been a crime to cut the 10 and 12' lumber to fit in the car.

I also mede a couple of stops in the Workshop Tools Inc stores in Sevierville and Pigeon Forge. The stores are amazing in volume of tools and accessories there. A lot of the power tools are rebuilt, but Delta, DeWalt, Makita, and similar name brands. Not a place to take your wife.

Still looking for something for Paducah?????????????

Matt Meiser
05-14-2006, 9:14 PM
I also mede a couple of stops in the Workshop Tools Inc stores in Sevierville and Pigeon Forge. The stores are amazing in volume of tools and accessories there. A lot of the power tools are rebuilt, but Delta, DeWalt, Makita, and similar name brands. Not a place to take your wife.

Still looking for something for Paducah?????????????

I've drooled a few times at Workshop tools in Pigeon Forge. Haven't been there since they built in Sevierville. My BIL just moved back from there after divorcing his wife, so we probably won't be going back any time soon.

Not sure exactly where Paducah is, but there is the Pleasant Hill Shaker Village about a 1/2 hour west of Lexington. We spent a day there on the way back from Sevierville and Nashville a few years ago and really enjoyed it. There is a woodworking shop there where they were making oval boxes the day we visited. I took lots of pictures of shaker furniture for ideas.

Danny Buie
05-14-2006, 11:03 PM
It's be out of your way but up I-75 in Kentucky is Berea, Ky, home of Berea College and a lot of arstist and craftsmen. Brian Boggs Chair Shop, Kelly Mehler's Shop, Warren May's Dulcimer Shop and several more I cannot remember the name of. Try: http://www.berea.edu/ and http://www.berea.com/ There is more than enough to spend seveal hours for you and your wife. There are some good galeries and craft shops as well. Nearby is http://www.shakervillageky.org/ if you have any intrest in the Shakers and their craftsmanship. There is the most amazing double spiral staircase in one of the buildings. They have lodging and dining facilities as well.
Danny Buie
Baton Rouge, LA

Andy Haney
05-14-2006, 11:19 PM
The National Quilt Museum is there. Your wife will love it, I'm sure.

You can kill some time while she's at the museum by strolling along the river and picking up a history lesson. There are murals painted on the levee wall that tell the story of Paducah. The murals are very well done by a guy from Louisiana that does a lot of simililar work along the Ohio River.

There is a neat little commericial area just to the east of the museum that has a few antique shiops, I think. Maybe you can look over some old woodworking.

I found a little tavern/restaurant just across the street from the museum with a deck outdoors. They didn't mind keeping my coffee cup full while I waited on SWMBO to come out for air...and that took quite a while.

Andy