PDA

View Full Version : Maple Hollow form

Jim Ketron
04-24-2006, 6:48 PM
There was some confusion over what this blank was till Sparky Paessler got it solved:D after all he gave me the blank. this is some of the whitest maple I have ever seen and very unusual grain also.
It has a Bradford Pear collar that has some nice curl. It measures 4" high X 6" wide, finish is Gel Poly and Buffed on the Beall.
Thanks Sparky for this beautiful wood!

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/Jim_k/Jim%20K%20Turnings/Pear2.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/Jim_k/Jim%20K%20Turnings/Pear.jpg

Dick Parr
04-24-2006, 7:07 PM
Really nice job on that HF Jim, that is one pretty piece of wood and I like the collar.

Great job

Andy Hoyt
04-24-2006, 7:13 PM
Really nice, Jim. Yet another that begs to be held.

Ernie Nyvall
04-24-2006, 7:23 PM
Well, that does it. Someone offered me a good sized Holly tree and I think I'll go get it. I thought white would be too plain, but you have certainly proven that wrong Jim. That's really nice. Course I will have to send you the tree for it to end up looking that way, but that's beside the point. Hmm, I wonder how Holly turns.

Ernie

Mark Rios
04-24-2006, 7:46 PM
Man-O-Man-O-Man!!! You turning folks are just amazing.

Travis Stinson
04-24-2006, 7:58 PM
Wonderful form with this one Jim. It looks almost as good in the pics as it did in person.:D

Michael Stafford
04-24-2006, 8:10 PM
Looks like alabaster or maybe marble more than wood. Something special methinks. Nice!

Paul Douglass
04-24-2006, 8:15 PM
Me thinks that is right up there with the prettiest I have seen. It is certainly in the top 5!

Ernie Nyvall
04-24-2006, 8:16 PM
Man-O-Man-O-Man!!! You turning folks are just amazing.

This could be you Mark.

Everyone, this is Mark's second turning thread he has posted to in less than a week. Tyler is already loosing ground.:D

Ernie

Ken Fitzgerald
04-24-2006, 8:33 PM
Jim..........I came to the turner's forum because of the New Posts button last November. Then in February the good folks here bombed me. Last month I had the pleasure of attending a turning exhibition at Moscow Idaho. The exhibition had some turning from public and private collections and some of the turners that had work displayed there are no longer living............I have a bunch of websites I go to for inspiration. Just when I think I couldn't see anything more beautiful........You turn, photograph and display this one...........Words wouldn't do it justice. Utterly fantastic!

Ken Fitzgerald
04-24-2006, 8:34 PM
Mark........You too could be a turner! All you need to do is get a lathe and commit all your free time and money!:D

Keith Burns
04-24-2006, 8:56 PM
Can't add anything that hasen't already been said. Fantistic:) :)

John Hart
04-24-2006, 8:57 PM
Jim, I've been trying for an hour to think of what this magnificent piece reminds me. I just can't get it out of my brain. But it reminds me of something very special in my past. A wonderful work and that wood is just awesome.:)

Bernie Weishapl
04-24-2006, 9:00 PM
All I can say Jim is it is absolutely beautiful. Your work never ceases to amaze me Jim. Nice work.

Barry Stratton
04-24-2006, 9:11 PM
Absolutely, utterly perfect.

Looks like ivory. WOWWWWWWW.

Fred LeBail
04-24-2006, 9:16 PM
Another AWESOME piece, but now I don't expect any different!!!

Tony Sizemore
04-24-2006, 9:18 PM
Man you do some beautiful work!!!! I have loved everything you have done.
I am going to try my hand hollow forms after a craft fair I am getting ready for the weekend.
You are my hero!!! :D
Sorry about the miss spelling...

Bruce Shiverdecker
04-24-2006, 10:15 PM
CHIWAWAWAWAWAWAWA. That is GRANDE!

Bruce

Sparky Paessler
04-25-2006, 8:20 AM
Looks great Jim! I have only turned one piece of that hard maple but it does come out nice.

Mark Cothren
04-25-2006, 9:57 AM
Smooth as silk, Jim. Love it, love it, love it.

John Miliunas
04-25-2006, 10:56 AM
OMG, Jim.... Just as some of the other guys mention, when I first saw the piece, I thought for sure that you had gone off on some tangent and started to do real hard materials, such as marble or stone or ivory or similar!!! :eek: That's got to be one of the most beautiful pieces ever!!! :) Personally, I think the lack of explosive colors or even intricate and wild grains actually help to accentuate the true form and finish of the piece. Wonderful job, Jim!!! Just wonderful!!! :D :cool:

Vaughn McMillan
04-26-2006, 4:57 AM
I guess I missed seeing this the other day, but man o' man Jim, that's a sweet piece. Not much I can add that hasn't already been said, but I tip my hat at your artistry and eye for form. Simply stunning.

- Vaughn

Christopher K. Hartley
04-26-2006, 7:03 AM
Jim, somehow telling you your work is nice or great or cool just seems to be an understatement. Thanks for sharing. You just keep raising the bar.

Glenn Hodges
04-26-2006, 7:39 PM
The collar adds a crowning touch to a regal piece of wood. You did a royal job to this piece of excellent work.