PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Turning Phase 1

Christopher K. Hartley
04-24-2006, 4:35 PM
Ok, since there seems to be a good interest but all the “Stuff” about the program is confusing, here is what I propose. I’ll step back and not be a participant. Instead, I’ll moderate the “Dirty Turning”. That way there will be no conflict of interest in the drawing for the wood. I will assume all duties of the management of the event and I will communicate so that everyone has a clear understanding of each phase of the activity and the time frames involved. I will do my very best to keep it simple.
If you want me to do this then let’s get started…

Phase1
Take a digital picture of the blank you intend to send.
In an email put your name, attach the picture of the blank and describe the wood type, characteristics and size. Tell what part of the country it was harvested in.
Send the email to: hartleck1@houston.rr.com
Entries must be sent no later than Midnight, Wednesday, May 3rd, 2006

Here is what will happen next:
I will log the order in which I receive your entries. That order will become your “Dirty Turning” draw order.
I will also place that same number on your entry and create a paper slip with that same number on it.
The paper slips will go into a bowl to be drawn out by my wife at the proper time.
The number that is drawn for you will be the entry blank that you will be receiving.

Phase 2 will be revealed when Phase 1 is complete.

Any Questions?

Steve Ash
04-24-2006, 4:46 PM
Yep...are these are to be dry bowls blanks?

Christopher K. Hartley
04-24-2006, 5:39 PM
Yep...are these are to be dry bowls blanks?
Steve, we did not stipulate so it could be either dry or wet which ever you have. Remember the shipping cost will probably be more the heavier they are.

John Hart
04-24-2006, 5:57 PM
If your wife is drawing numbers then you should participate. Besides, anything can be stolen from you anyway!;)

Kurt Rosenzweig
04-24-2006, 6:49 PM
I agree with John! You should participate! I sure your wife will keep you on the up and up!!:)

Ernie Nyvall
04-24-2006, 7:47 PM
If your wife is drawing numbers then you should participate. Besides, anything can be stolen from you anyway!;)

I agree. Put your log in.

Ernie

Rich Stewart
04-24-2006, 8:02 PM
Are we going with the 'no smaller than 4x4x4 and no larger than 8x8x8'? I think I saw that somewhere.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-24-2006, 8:38 PM
Are we going with the 'no smaller than 4x4x4 and no larger than 8x8x8'? I think I saw that somewhere.

Gee I guess that is in inches eh....? :rolleyes:

Well I'm going down to the Dungeon to turn a green bowl or two, so while I'm there I'll find a chunk of wood to add to the pile.

Cheers!

Rich Stewart
04-24-2006, 8:44 PM
When is the rest of the world going to dump that antiquated metric system? Its time to get with the program.:D

Christopher K. Hartley
04-24-2006, 8:48 PM

Rich that is correct, but I'm open to suggestions. I just wanted to be sure that size didn't rule out the mini lathes. Does that range of size work?

Christopher K. Hartley
04-24-2006, 8:51 PM

If you guys think no one will think it is unfair, I'd love to participate too.

Steve Ash
04-24-2006, 9:02 PM
If you guys think no one will think it is unfair, I'd love to participate too.

Well you talked me into it...I think you should participate, I have no problem with it, all in good fun.

Christopher K. Hartley
04-24-2006, 9:11 PM
Ok I'm good as long as nobody objects.

Mark Patoka
04-24-2006, 9:38 PM
Chris,
I don't see any conflict of interest with you participating. Besides, the more people that participate in "Yankee Swap" the better (for all you Office fans).

Now to go find a suitable piece of wood to offer up....

Lee DeRaud
04-24-2006, 9:43 PM
Rich that is correct, but I'm open to suggestions. I just wanted to be sure that size didn't rule out the mini lathes. Does that range of size work?Are we talking strictly bowl blanks here? The 4x4x4 is kind of an odd form factor (IMHO).

Maybe the answer is something like 'Minimum 2" with at least one dimension 4" or larger. Maximum 8" in any dimension.' That minimum spec allows things like bowl blanks 4x4x2 or goblet/box blanks 2x2x4.

Just a thought.

04-24-2006, 10:54 PM
Chris, of course you are in!

I wonder it I might green turn or slightly rough mine, out, it will be lighter and less expensive to ship...?

Cheers!

Stephen Hibbs
04-24-2006, 10:58 PM
I'm in, but as long as it's not as complicated as it sounded in the original poll. :eek: . Do we pick or is it completely random what we get?

Don Baer
04-25-2006, 12:17 AM
I'm in. I'll go raid my neighbors firewood pile this weekend and take a picture.

Christopher K. Hartley
04-25-2006, 6:36 AM
Are we talking strictly bowl blanks here? The 4x4x4 is kind of an odd form factor (IMHO).

Maybe the answer is something like 'Minimum 2" with at least one dimension 4" or larger. Maximum 8" in any dimension.' That minimum spec allows things like bowl blanks 4x4x2 or goblet/box blanks 2x2x4.

Just a thought.

I'm good with that Lee, it makes for more flexibility. Good idea thanks.

Christopher K. Hartley
04-25-2006, 6:39 AM
I'm in, but as long as it's not as complicated as it sounded in the original poll. :eek: . Do we pick or is it completely random what we get?

All things will be revealed in due time. Hee Hee!:p Don't ya just hate it when you get an answer like that?:eek:

Mike Ramsey
04-25-2006, 12:18 PM
I'm in.......question, why the term Dirty Turning? What about the
1st Semi-Bi-Annual Creekers Swap, or The 1st Annual Creekers Swap, or.........?

Christopher K. Hartley
04-25-2006, 10:09 PM
First entry is in, waiting on those to come.:)

Christopher K. Hartley
04-25-2006, 10:15 PM
I'm in.......question, why the term Dirty Turning? What about the
1st Semi-Bi-Annual Creekers Swap, or The 1st Annual Creekers Swap, or.........?

Mike it came from Dirty Santa but I like your suggestions. I'm all for what the group wants.

Tom Jones III
04-26-2006, 11:47 AM
I've just sent my entry. Even better, I talked LOML into joining the swap. She has been reluctant to turn because she's worried about not doing a good job but the swap is something that she will really enjoy so it was enough to entice her to give it a try.

Dennis Peacock
04-26-2006, 12:30 PM
I've just sent my entry. Even better, I talked LOML into joining the swap. She has been reluctant to turn because she's worried about not doing a good job but the swap is something that she will really enjoy so it was enough to entice her to give it a try.

Tom,

Have the wife jump on in....It's not about judging her work...it's about fun and swapping wood between folks around the globe. :D

Dennis Peacock
04-26-2006, 12:33 PM
Well folks, I'd love to join in this fun....but I'm afraid that I won't have the money for shipping. I've got wood....but with this new "medical insurance" we have and 4 kids? I have no money. Please accept for apollogy for not participating.

Kurt Rosenzweig
04-26-2006, 1:51 PM
How about instead of size restrictions we just say it has to fit in a flat rate box? That way it would be affordable for everyone! $8.10! They will send you the boxes for free! Just click buy and it will promt you to sign up!
http://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10152&storeId=10001&categoryId=13359&productId=11697&langId=-1

04-26-2006, 2:25 PM
How about instead of size restrictions we just say it has to fit in a flat rate box? That way it would be affordable for everyone! $8.10! They will send you the boxes for free! Just click buy and it will prompt you to sign up!
http://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10152&storeId=10001&categoryId=13359&productId=11697&langId=-1

Almost everyone ;) :D

Kurt Rosenzweig
04-26-2006, 2:39 PM
LOL! Sorry STU! Forgot all about you!

Christopher K. Hartley
04-26-2006, 2:50 PM
How about instead of size restrictions we just say it has to fit in a flat rate box? That way it would be affordable for everyone! $8.10! They will send you the boxes for free! Just click buy and it will promt you to sign up!

Thanks Kurt! Great option for almost everyone. (Stu what is shipping like from japan?) Let's make this less difficult. Whatever anyone can do, large or small let's do it. Forget the size requirement. This is all about having fun and the excitement of seeing and working with new wood.

04-26-2006, 2:56 PM
Don't worry about me, I've got it covered, but I have to say, I don't want someone to get stuck with a big bill to sends something to me, so if you get my name, it's A-OK to have a back up smaller blank.

Cheers! :D

Andy Hoyt
04-26-2006, 3:56 PM
Chris - That thing Stu is holding in his hand was shipped via USPS Global Priority Mail with a 4 to 6 day delivery time. Boxed weighed about 20 ounces. Cost was about $23, which I figured was a bargain.

Dennis Peacock
04-26-2006, 7:30 PM
Hey,

To all my friends here.....

Please, PLEASE do NOT let me be a damper to this fun. I want it to be fun and it's just fun for me to even watch what is going on. :D
Don't let me get in the way of others fun. Not my intentions at all.:o

After all, it's not your fault that I'm busted broke at this time in my life. :(

Curt Fuller
04-26-2006, 8:59 PM
This sounds like a fun thing. But, does it have to be a square or could it be a half log?

Christopher K. Hartley
04-27-2006, 6:37 AM
This sounds like a fun thing. But, does it have to be a square or could it be a half log? Curt, a half log works.

Kurt Rosenzweig
04-27-2006, 2:45 PM
Hey Dennis! I know all about the health insurance thing being self employed! I was not suggesting it for your benifit only! I was also looking out for yours truely! I was in an exchange over at one of the other boards and I mailed a $10.00 chunk of wood and it cost me 55 dollars! I'm sure there would be alot more partisapants if we were to go the flat rate box route! Besides! I've seen your work and would be most happy to draw you!:D

Christopher K. Hartley
04-27-2006, 5:56 PM
NOTICE! We are currently standing at 4 entries

05-02-2006, 3:20 PM
NOTICE! We are currently standing at 4 entries

Make it five :D

Christopher K. Hartley
05-02-2006, 4:23 PM
Make it five :D Two late, we are now (with you) at 14...YeeHaw! that's Texan for "Ain't It Great!"

05-02-2006, 11:23 PM
Two late, we are now (with you) at 14...YeeHaw! that's Texan for "Ain't It Great!"

Must be that "new math" I keep hearing about............ :rolleyes: :D

Jim Dunn
05-03-2006, 2:59 PM
Just you wait till you hear about the "devine intervention" their teaching in Texas if you think the math is difficult.