PDA

View Full Version : Swing & patio chairs from chairlift leftovers

Paul Kunkel
08-25-2003, 7:19 PM
I thought you'd like this. Years ago, when I was a manager at a now defunct ski area we bought a used Riblet chairlift from Stowe, Vt. After erecting it with all new cable, etc. we had a bunch of leftover chairs as in our application it was a considerably shorter run. Some of these chairs were damaged and not worth the area keeping them as spares. I voluntered to remove them and just recently decided to utilize them for my yard and patio. The swing only required new oak slats for the seat, scraping paint and repainting and some 2" pipe set in concrete for support. The patio benches were made by cutting the bail off at arm height, welding the top part on as the rear legs and part of the rest of the pipe became the front legs. They are real comfy and heavy enough to stay put when the winds rush thru. All in all it took 3 days for the transformation. Note the cup holders (or for PBR) that slip into where the bail was cut off. What we won't do sometimes to save a buck! :D
BTW: LOML says that I should insert that it was her idea and I agree. It was a great idea and we made it work. It was a fun project.

Kevin Gerstenecker
08-25-2003, 7:32 PM
Paul, that is a WAY COOL idea you have there! :D Great use for items that most people would never think to utilize for anything other than their intended purpose. I'll be you could sell those by the bunches to Skiers. My Brother is an avid Skier, and from what I can tell, those really into Snow Skiing are almost as "Over the Edge" as Woodworkers! Nice work, they look great...........especially the swing..............VERY COOL IDEA! :D Thanks for sharing the Pic's! ;)

Todd Burch
08-25-2003, 8:20 PM
Good ideas Paul! You to see you back on the posting board. Todd.

Tony Falotico
08-25-2003, 9:00 PM
Awesome Paul, I love to see stuff recycled. We throw away way to much.

Jim Baker
08-25-2003, 9:50 PM
Cool benches, Paul. It's neat to see such creativity in action.