PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments...

Dennis Peacock
04-24-2006, 11:33 AM
Good Morning....I've had troubles getting into the Creek this morning. Don't know if it was server load or just the "loose nut behind the keyboard". :rolleyes:

Anyway, spent some time in the shop this weekend. Waiting for the customer to come and pick up the train table that I finished. The LOML reminded me that I NEEDED to finish turn THREE bowls this weekend for her to give as wedding gifts. SHEESH!!!!! I need a little time to plan this out. With all the dry, roughed out bowls I have stacked up in my shop? She ain't shy about coming out there, finding something that "strikes her fancy" and sets it on the floor next to the "yeller dawg"....and says gently......I want this one and I need it done as soon as you can get it done....oh and tomorrow will be fine. :eek: :confused:

I'll get picks of the bowls today and get them posted.

Cleaned up the yard some, mowed grass, burned brush, and hauled out another 80 gallons or so of lathe curlies. Turned my first hollow form attempt this weekend, came out ok...but my form sucks. I started a semi-closed form bowl out of a piece of Osage Orange that Jim Becker sent me (Thanks Jim!!) so I can get a better "feel" for this hollowing rig I have....thanks to some pretty sneaker Creekers!!!! :D ;) :D

Church on Sunday, and making plans to get this computer desk started.

Back at work today.....So.....what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Tom Pritchard
04-24-2006, 11:39 AM
Had a nice weekend!

I visited West Penn Hardwoods in Olean, NY to buy some more wide curly hard maple to finish a bookcase I'm building for my son. What a great place they have! Almost any wood you can think of can be found in many lengths, thicknesses, and widths! Very helpful and friendly staff, and they are stocked to the max! Ended up buying more than I wanted, including a 4/4 x 10" wide x 8' long piece of quarter sawn white oak. Took it home, made some shelves for an antique bookcase whose missing shelves were made out of plywood. Time for Church, relaxing with the family, taught them a lesson in Scrabble:rolleyes: , and here I am back at work!

Why are weekends so short!

Jim O'Dell
04-24-2006, 11:42 AM
I got my sprinkler system fired up and working. 41 of the heads were "hidden" but the pump had enough oomph to push them up through the soil and grass so I could find them. A couple need to move because of where I built the fence, and multiple others need to brought closer to the surface. Some were about 3" under the soil! Jim.

John Gregory
04-24-2006, 11:43 AM
I had trouble getting in to this morning
Anyways...
We are doing a kitchen reface for our neighbors. New drawer boxes and fronts and new doors. Refacing face frames with resawn solid red oak. On the large area to be refaced we will use red oak plywood.

This weeked we sanded the doors and drawer fronts and started putting on the finish, since our shop is small, 20X20, the parts are spread out all over. So while we finished parts, that is all we can do. So it is "put a coat of finish on, wait hours then repeat"

John

Mark Pruitt
04-24-2006, 11:46 AM
Hey Dennis,

I mis-read your post and thought you had said "burned bush" instead of burned brush. I was going to ask you if you heard a voice calling from the burning bush--HOLY MOSES!!!:D :p :D :eek:

I re-vamped my router table, installing a miter guage slot where there was once only a T-track. Then did some cleaning up, finished the layout and cutting list for my workbench, and got to work on it a little. Then time ran out!!!:mad:

Great weekend, but not long enough. Lots of that kind of thing going around.

John Miliunas
04-24-2006, 11:50 AM
Took a vacation day Friday for the first annual LCSMC gathering (La Crosse SMC)! :D What an absolute blast!!! :D :D Spent much of Saturday trying to wiper the silly grin off my face left over from Friday. Just a few misc. chores around the house, as well as repairing a bunch of "defective" WW stuff, which our Woodcraft had written off and I salvaged from the trash! (Stealth gloat there... :rolleyes: ) Sunday was pretty much dedicated to outside work. Spent close to 2 hours with the weed-whacker, then close to another 3 on the Deere. A little family time and some R&R prior to the start of another grueling week at the J.O.B. Hope everyone has a super week! :) :cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
04-24-2006, 11:50 AM
Wedding weekend.......Stayed out of my wife's way on Saturday with an ear open so I wasn't late anywhere we had to be. Did make a short trip to buy some wood. Sunday....got everybody off to their destinations, hauled some leaves and trimmings and SHAVINGS to the dump. Turned my first mahogany bowl.....nice wood to work........

Steve Ash
04-24-2006, 12:02 PM
My whole weekend is contained in this thread.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=35281

Eddie Watkins
04-24-2006, 12:02 PM
I had set a goal to finish some drawers I have been trying to get to for weeks. I was all set to work in the shop Saturday and LOML's car blew a fuse. I spent 2 hours trying to find all the fuse boxes. Got that fixed and my brother came by wanting some help hauling off trash from a rent house. Didn't get to the shop Saturday. Sunday started off good then my daughter calls with a plumbing problem. I get to spend the lions share of Sunday fixing plumbing problems. I never made it to the shop. Did I mention I would rather have hemorhoid surgery as work on cars or do plumbing?:eek: I'm glad to be back at work so I can get some rest.:o

Joe Chritz
04-24-2006, 12:10 PM
This weekend was pretty well shot, literally.

Friday had the evening weekly poker game to attend. Spent almost all of Saturday at a competition pistol shoot. Sunday went to lunch with the family and seen the new niece.

The bed below is last weekends accomplishment that I never got to posting. Finished two of them and got them installed last weekend. The oak dowel that it looks like it is hanging from is truely plumb. Weird camera angle makes it look crooked.

Joe

David Duke
04-24-2006, 12:19 PM
Finished milling and egan assembly of the Grandfather clock I'm making, I hope to get the carcass completely assemble this evening and thin the decorative details to follow. I plan on putting bevel glass through out but since the upper door section has an arch I may have to take out an equity loan to afford it.

Saturday was also family time, both boys were out and I got to see my grandson......been a whole week since I last seen him!!

Hope everyone had a great weekend.

Bob Noles
04-24-2006, 12:31 PM
Got a little break in my health issues and was able to put some time in the shop continuing to press forward on the rehab project. It is coming along nicely, but is a lot of work and still much yet to do. It will all be worth it in the long run and I will have a much better and larger work space out there.

Weather in Atlanta could not have been better.

Michael Gabbay
04-24-2006, 12:36 PM
Since this weekend was way too humid to finish spraying the drawer fronts and doors for the vanity that is taking a century to complete I was able to turn my attention to my new cyclone (3hp Dust Gorilla) that is set to arrive a a few weeks. I'm making a shorter collection box for it so I can lower the overall height of the unit.

I also got time in to mow the yard......

Jim Becker
04-24-2006, 1:03 PM
Saturday it rained. A lot. I slept in. And since Dr. SWMBO had a bunch of errands to run, I pretty much was in the house all day. Got a BLOG setup for our home addition project (http://toscax.us/blog/addition.htm) and did some other necessary things that have been hanging around waiting for my attention. Oh, it was my week for laundry, too. The family movie was Chicken Little...very cute.

Sunday, after a slow start, I got out to cut down a couple trees that will be in the way of a new driveway we will be adding to the property. These were well away from anything I could hurt, so I saw no reason to pay someone to take them down like I must for about 15 of them down near the road. (State permit predicated on some tree removal for sight-lines...$4K worth due to the necessary traffic control) The bright side was I got into the shop for a whole five minutes...to put some AnchorSeal on a few turning blanks I cut out of one of said trees I dropped. :)

Martin Lutz
04-24-2006, 1:17 PM
three words sum up my weekend -- sewer line replacement. 'nuf said.

Michael Gabbay
04-24-2006, 1:23 PM

Now that is one crappy job! :eek: :(

Matt Meiser
04-24-2006, 1:23 PM
Took Friday afternoon and today off. Finished removing brush and regrading about .6 acres, replace the oil pan and a power steering hose in my Ranger, got the tractor cleaned up, put the mower on and mowed. Still need to seed and fertilize the area I cleared and put down mulch around some trees and my daughter's playground which I hope to do yet today.

Dennis Peacock
04-24-2006, 1:45 PM

YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I HATE doing that kind of stuff.!!!!!!!! Oh, did I mention that I HATE plumbing!??? :rolleyes: :D

Karl Laustrup
04-24-2006, 2:05 PM
Moving more stuff into the new house. And trying to put it away. Trying to figure out how we had all this stuff in a house 1/3 the size. Did this stuff multiply while it was in the container? Gonna be a humongus estate sale soon. The sooner the better. Just doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day to get it all done.

Karl

Jeff Horton
04-24-2006, 3:03 PM
I always wondered what was inside a DeWalt Radial Arm saw and how they worked and what was inside. Well now I/we know. :)

http://www.kudzupatch.com/woodshop/DeWaltras/dewalt.jpg

Base is soaking in a electrolysis tank as I type.

http://www.kudzupatch.com/woodshop/DeWaltras/dewalt2.jpg

Julio Navarro
04-24-2006, 3:13 PM
Been ages since I last posted. My tennis elbow had been steadely getting better till this weekend when I re-aggravated it but I did accomplish a great deal in the process.

I finished the cyclone and got it ready to paint. I used auto body puddy to finish some of the seams and welded joints and it looks great! I assembled a spray booth out of 1/2" cpcv piping and plastic sheating (the kind you get to cover up furniture when you paint) and I will start to primer it tonight. I will try to have pictures of it tomorrow.

In homage to the Creek I am painting my cyclone a medium dark blue like the logo and gradually fade to white.

We dont have many cyclones here in Florida so I am going to name it "The Hurriclone"

Vaughn McMillan
04-24-2006, 4:26 PM
This weekend was about as non-productive shop-wise as I've had in a long time. Dealing with a head/chest cold for the past five or six days, I just didn't have it in me to get started on anything substantial. I did spend a little time trying (still unsuccessfully) to get an acceptable finish on a couple little boxes I made almost a month ago. I cut and assembled the boxes in about an hour, and have spent the weeks since then trying to get a finish I'm willing to put my name on. I sanded down the boxes to remove all the finish twice this weekend. I hate finishing.

Also spent a good part of Saturday in downtown Los Angeles with LOML, hitting the garment district, the jewelry district, and the flower mart district. It's a whole other world down there...don't see how folks can live or work down there.

- Vaughn

JayStPeter
04-24-2006, 5:07 PM
After working on a big proposal for the last 6 weeks, I finally saw daylight for the first time Sunday when I cut the lawn :( . The worst part is it is looking like a wasted effort :mad:, but a good list of "lessons learned" :rolleyes: . My normal job is lax this week, so maybe I'll spend a day or two home and possibly even see the shop.

Jay

Dave Fifield
04-24-2006, 5:36 PM
I made this (http://www.daveswoodenwonders.com/SpaltedSkyFront.jpg):

http://www.daveswoodenwonders.com/SpaltedSkyFront_s.jpg

Dave F.

Helen Gee
04-24-2006, 5:38 PM
That is awesome Dave! Hey, we stopped by the booth a few times on Saturday and you were not there. We did sign up though :eek: would love to learn how to make beautiful things like that!

Earl Reid
04-24-2006, 6:13 PM
We delivered my 5th blanket chest to our 6 yr old Grand Daughter on Sat. Made a spoon rack, finished a small md T ford for a fella in Ky . We will take it to him Thursday.:) (He has cancer and asked me to make a car

Earl

Steve Clardy
04-25-2006, 12:19 AM
Saturday. Finished up some stair raiing parts that I installed today.
Sunday. Installed some cabinets in a basement for a returning customer that I did their kitchen cabs for.
I'm beat today. Up and down those 13 steps a zillion times today.

Joe Mioux
04-25-2006, 12:23 AM
Greek Orthodox Easter....

which means rotissing a whole lamb on the barbee... YUM YUM

I really hope MIL sent us some lamb chops.

LOML and inlaws are Greek!

Don Baer
04-25-2006, 12:58 AM
Spent the weekend getting the house ready to put on the market. I rebuilt the lattice work enclosure around the pool equiptment. While this wqasn't fine wood working it did allow me a chance to use my CMNS and table saw. Also spent some time with Honey doos. Sure will be glad when this place is sold and I can concentrate on the new digs. House goes on the market next weekend.

As an addendum the Real estate agent called and says he has a prospective buyer... I am in AZ this week and can't show the house till saturday.:(

Charles Bruno
04-25-2006, 8:59 AM
Just got back from vacation in Hawaii,:) looked at some awsome Koa wood while there, great looking stuff! Had a great time nothing got done around the shop. I have some jewelry box to "get done" asap maybe next weekend.

Tyler Howell
04-25-2006, 9:07 AM
Still recovering from all that cheese on Friday:D

Greg Narozniak
04-25-2006, 10:13 AM
In trying to make the house look extra nice for any buyers this weekend entailed the following.

Sat (Yes this was all in the rain) was spent moving 8 yards of Brush that had been piled in the corner of the yard and was a real eye sore out to the curb for brush pick up. Also raked the pool area of all the fallen brush was added to the curb. Then spread the 3 yards of mulch we had delivered in the front and back yards. Mix up some Round Up and spray down the Patio. Try and get the Spin trimmer started, that was a no go but, it makes a nice Javalin :). Fixed the gate so it closes on it's own.

Sunday started packing the garage. Chemicals cannot go on the moving truck so they were packed seperate and will be moved with all the tools in the Box truck rental. Cut the grass in the backyard.

I hate moving!!! :)

Michael King
04-25-2006, 3:11 PM
Finished and sold this at a fundraising auction on Saturday:
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a191/mking143/DSC00075.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a191/mking143/DSC00070.jpg
I don't post here much, but I just had to put this up for show. I think I'm having separation anxiety:D .
Mike

Dave Fifield
04-25-2006, 4:36 PM
Wow! Nice chest of drawers Michael! :)

Dave F.