PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for drilling on an angle

Don Morris
04-24-2006, 4:43 AM
Guys,

I'm a traditional archer and finally decided to put my bows on a display rack. A little while ago I helped my son drill some pegs into two long boards at an angle to support his bows. As I remember we had some difficulty in doing it with elegance. I tried a "search" on the subject, but didn't see anything. I have a 14" floor model Jet drill press, now with new Woodpecker LP table so someone should be able to guide me to drill the peg holes at an angle a little more "elegently". Or is there a better way to do it without the drill press? Is there a "best technique" to drill angled peg holes? Thanks!

Dave Richards
04-24-2006, 6:42 AM
Can't you just tilt the table on the DP?

Assuming the DP won't work for your job, You could use the DP to drill a hole in a block of hardwood to use as a guide for a hand held drill. After drilling the hole, cut the end of the guide block at the desired angle. Make sure the block is large enough to clamp into place and if you have the need for enough holes, maybe insert a metal drill guide bushing.

Ian Barley
04-24-2006, 7:13 AM
Don

What was the difficulty when you did it before? Generally drilling at an angle is not too much problem as long as the workpiece is secure and you are using an appropriate bit. The problem with angle drilling is that sometimes the edge of the bit makes contact before the centre and this is generally bad news with a standard twist drill which is to cut from the centre. Whenever possible I use something like a forstner bit which is cutting at the edge and, in my experience, gives a cleaner hole.

Jim DeLaney
04-24-2006, 7:17 AM
Using the fence on the DP table, set it for the distance from the top of the workpiece that you want.

Then, put a 'shim' in front of the fence - like maybe a ¾" or 1" square piece - the length of the DP table.

Now, butt your workpiece against the fence, on top of the shim, and that should give you your angle.

I'd use a forstner bit to make the holes, but a brad point bit will work if the angle isn't too steep.

Frank Pellow
04-24-2006, 7:20 AM
Off the drill press, you might want to consider this jig from Lee Valley Tools:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=42322&cat=1,180,42311,42321

I don't own one but have used one owned by a friend ad it works quite well.

Alan Turner
04-24-2006, 7:20 AM
Don,
I drill at angles with some regularity. What I do is to build a holder for the stock, which is two pieces of plywood, held apart by angled wedges cut on a table saw. Just screw or shoot the angled platform together, add a stop edge, and clamp it to the DP table.

If the center of the hole is critical, I use a centerfinding device, from MLSC, which is just two pointed ends, one 1/2" dia., the oher 1/4". Mark the center, use the device to set your stock, and then change bits. Use a forstner or bradpoint, at a slow speed.

Don Morris
04-24-2006, 12:24 PM
That's what the problem was I think. The drill we used was the wrong kind. Must have been out in space that day. Yes, we tilted the table but it kept slipping off the mark. OK, got some good ideas. Should go a lot smoother this time. Thanks guys!

Dennis McDonaugh
04-24-2006, 2:07 PM
A bit and brace also work very well for angled holes.

Vaughn McMillan
04-24-2006, 2:42 PM
...Yes, we tilted the table but it kept slipping off the mark...
This might also be an indication that you didn't have the piece securely held (clamped) onto the table when drilling. That can cause the ol' slippery bit syndrome.

- Vaughn

Julio Navarro
04-24-2006, 4:00 PM
if the slip is by the drill bit itself then perhaps a pilot hole of smaller diameter drilled at the appropriatye angle so the larger bit will have no room to slip. Also try a brad point bit.