PDA

View Full Version : Nova 3000.........?????

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-24-2006, 2:27 AM
I looked hard at that older lathe here, the Iida one, big 3 phase, etc. but the over bed is only 6" so a 12" bowl is the limit, there is outboard turning on the back side of the headstock, but that area is not accessible for me with my lathe spot.

So, I'm forgetting about that lathe, and looking for others.

A buddy here, another Canuck, has the Nova DVR and very much likes it. He suggested the Nova 3000, which, with a chuck, and other stuff would fit my budget better.

Any comments on this lathe?

Or something similar that I could have shipped to Japan?

Most of the larger lathes seem to come with the big heavy legs, I do not need these, and they would kill me for shipping, I have a well made solid stand.

OK, let er rip, opinions please! :D

Cheers!

Barry Stratton
04-24-2006, 2:55 AM
Well Stu,

You know I'm a rookie and no next to nothing.......but, I've been trying to decide between a Oneway 2436, Powermatic 3520, and a Nova DVR 3000 as a retirement present to myself next year (unless Steve wants to sell that Oliver he's restoring........). I think the Nova 3000 is the same lathe, minus a couple bells and whistles, as the DVR.

So, DO IT!!!!! What are you asking for....... times a wasting. Order now and it'll be on a boat headed your way...... Too bad you can't get one shipped direct from China. seems like that would be cheaper than China to North America, then to Japan.......

04-24-2006, 5:20 AM
Well that is what my buddy Alex basically told me, I can also get bed extensions, though I doubt that I'll be doing much spindle work longer than the 24" I get with the normal bed.

I fired an e-mail to the guys in Australia, where their "International" offices are.

One thing about getting the lathe from the US, from say Woodcraft, is I could get all the other things I need at the same time, tools, chucks etc.

Also these lathes come without a stand, which is good, as I have a stand that should work ;)

Cheers!

Guess I'm waiting for every one else to wake up :D

Mark Cothren
04-24-2006, 5:50 AM
Sounds like you're on the right track to me, Stu. I have no knowledge of the lathe you're looking at, but like the idea you have of getting everything together from one place. Would probably save you enough in shipping to make it worthwhile???

Good luck on whatever you decide!

Michael Stafford
04-24-2006, 6:47 AM
Stu, the Nova 3000 is the lathe that I have. It is an 8 speed belted model with a 1 1/4" x 8tpi spindle. Mine has a 1 1/2 hp motor. Without a stand it weighs over 200 pounds. It was my first true lathe and I love it. Admittedly the variable speed feature at the touch of a finger tip would be nice but I find that most of my work is done at about 3 or 4 speeds. It will allow you to turn things at speeds as low as 250 rpm and in excess of 2000 rpm. I bought some Best Tool tool rests and an additional post for them to allow me to do other things as the the 12" tool rest is not the best for shorter between center jobs such as pens, boxes and small finials.

I built a massive wooden stand with storage and bolted it to it. The metal stand you built will do a wonderful job of anchoring it down.

I love my Nova and I think it will serve you well until you are ready to get a larger, more powerful machine.

04-24-2006, 7:25 AM
Stu, the Nova 3000 is the lathe that I have. It is an 8 speed belted model with a 1 1/4" x 8tpi spindle. Mine has a 1 1/2 hp motor. Without a stand it weighs over 300 pounds. It was my first true lathe and I love it. Admittedly the variable speed feature at the touch of a finger tip would be nice but I find that most of my work is done at about 3 or 4 speeds. It will allow you to turn things at speeds as low as 250 rpm and in excess of 2000 rpm. I bought some Best Tool tool rests and an additional post for them to allow me to do other things as the the 12" tool rest is not the best for shorter between center jobs such as pens, boxes and small finials.

I built a massive wooden stand with storage and bolted it to it. The metal stand you built will do a wonderful job of anchoring it down.

I love my Nova and I think it will serve you well until you are ready to get a larger, more powerful machine.
Thanks for the info Michael, nice to hear from someone who has one.

When you say "Move on to a larger more powerful machine" are you saying that this is an lathe that will be outgrown?

I really want to buy my last lathe, if you know what I mean.

The resaw band saw I have, Big Blue, is the last one I'll ever need, the Festool TS55 is the last circular saw I'll ever need, etc. I'm trying to do this the right way, now that I've been bitten.

Even my wife chimed in on this, saying "You should buy what you want, not less than that, or you will just complain about it later" (yep, my bride knows me).

Well, any one else?

I know that this is not a Oneway, or a PM big one, but those are way out of my price range.

Cheers!

Jim Davenport
04-24-2006, 7:41 AM
Stu, the Nova 3000 is the lathe that I have. It is an 8 speed belted model with a 1 1/4" x 8tpi spindle. Mine has a 1 1/2 hp motor. Without a stand it weighs over 300 pounds. It was my first true lathe and I love it. Admittedly the variable speed feature at the touch of a finger tip would be nice but I find that most of my work is done at about 3 or 4 speeds. It will allow you to turn things at speeds as low as 250 rpm and in excess of 2000 rpm. I bought some Best Tool tool rests and an additional post for them to allow me to do other things as the the 12" tool rest is not the best for shorter between center jobs such as pens, boxes and small finials.

Michael, where did you get your Nova3000? I went to the Techna tool web sight, I looked at the 3000, and the 3000DVR. I looked at the distributors listed, and couldn't find the belt driven 3000 The only one I saw available was the DVR.

Michael Stafford
04-24-2006, 7:57 AM
Stu, when I say move up I mean if you wish to turn more than 16". The Nova has a 16" swing over the bed. It will swing more than that in outboard configuration but as diameter goes up outboard, thickness of the piece being turned goes down. You will not necessarily out grow the Nova. It just seems so many people want to swing small trees on their lathes.... Me, I'll stick to small boxes and bowls. Some people do not like the belt changing, Stu. I have no problem with it.

Jim, I don't think they make the 3000 anymore. I could be wrong on that. I managed to get my lathe a couple of years ago used still in the box. A deal I couldn't refuse. At that time you could buy one brand new for about $900 I think. I paid less than that and had the pleasure of cleaning the cosmoline off of my "used" lathe still in the box and on the original shipping pallet.

04-24-2006, 8:08 AM
You mean I'd "Have to" buy the DVR, gee I hope my luck holds out....... :D

Cecil Arnold
04-24-2006, 11:42 AM
Stu, I think you may want to listen to Big Mike. While I haven't turned on a Nova, I have had the oppertunity to use a Jet 1442 and PM 3520 (owned them) and to turn on a Delta and Oneway. Don't ever tell Andy, but the mayo machine is a dream--just way too much money for this kid. As Big Mike said, some of us want to turn small trees, but usually only once or twice just to see if we can. I've got a bunch of 20" blanks, but find 14-16" more practical. I really think you won't go wrong with the DVR and should make your move while the wife is agreeable.

04-24-2006, 11:58 AM
Well I found out that they do have a DVR dealer here in Japan, they want 298,000 yen, PLUS shipping...... :eek: (298,000 divided by about 110 to make US dollars is $2700) I know my buddy had his shipped here for around $2400, if I go that route, then I get the same as $300 of free accessories........

I looked at the DVR site, man I have to say, this looks like one heck of a lathe, and bolted to my stand, it should be able to do anything I want, within reason.

Now I'm all geared up to buy this, and spend the money, then, I find this......

They want 79,000 yen for it ($720) Looks like the Delta 46-715 to me.

So, do I spend 3 times the money....?

I thing the DVR would be the last lathe I ever bought, and if I ever got tired of it, I'm sure I'd get my money out of it.......(not like I ever would, but it is a nice thing to say to SWMBO).

Cheers!

Bernie Weishapl
04-24-2006, 12:01 PM
Stu I looked for the plain NOVA 3000 when I bought my Sears lathe. The only NOVA I could find is the DVR. I called about the NOVA 3000 and Tim I think was his name told me once in a while they get a used one in but not very often. I think if you got the DVR 3000 you can't go wrong and doubt very seriously you would go bigger. I can turn 20" outboard on mine. I tried a 16" the other day and I think at least for me 20" especially a out of balance piece is about as big as I would ever want to handle. As Mike said 16" over the bed is a big hunk of wood. On the one that looks like the 46-715 the thing I didn't like was the motor on the side. It seems it gets in the road sometimes when turning. I think the DVR is a better choice for the long haul.

Let us know Stu. If the wife is agreeable you better jump.

04-24-2006, 12:07 PM
Ya, spend the money, what the heck, I have another motorcycle to sell..... :rolleyes:

Now I have to hear back from the Woodcraft guys.

Got some other stuff to sell too, should get my butt in gear and get it done!

Cheers!

BTW, I saw a little notice on an Ozzy site selling the DVR, they said there was a new Nova 3000 coming out July 2006.

Mike Ramsey
04-24-2006, 12:20 PM
Stu, It looks like the lathe in the picture has a Reeves drive
like the Delta's, Jets, Grizzly's & Harbor Freight models.....
You will be much happier with the DVR ...just IMHO...

04-24-2006, 12:28 PM
Stu, It looks like the lathe in the picture has a Reeves drive
like the Delta's, Jets, Grizzly's & Harbor Freight models.....
You will be much happier with the DVR ...just IMHO...

Like I said, (I should take my own advice) I want this to be the last lathe I buy, not excuses, not BS, just a good lathe, then I can then learn to turn on.

OK, now I have to hear back from Wood Craft.

Cheers!

Mike Ramsey
04-24-2006, 12:35 PM
Like I said, I want this to be the last lathe I buy,

Uh huh.............

Michael Cody
04-24-2006, 1:30 PM
Teknatool has a japanese distributor:

TOKYO :
IKEDA INCORPORATED
1039-3 KATSUYAMA-MURA
MINAMI-TSURU-GUN
YAMANASHI-KEN 401-03
PH: 0081-555-726860
FAX: 0081 555 726865
EMAIL: fine@ikedatools.co.jp

The Nova3000 was the pre-cursor to the new DVR and should be still available. This is a fine lathe and you won't outgrow it for a long time. The base unit was a step-pully design with a 1hp Lesson motor. They also offered in the US (I think woodcraft did the work to offer this) a Lesson variable speed unit -- though it had some problems with motor shafts breaking on a few rare cases.

The only real issue with the 3000 was the tailstock was sorta flimsy. Not that it would break or anything but it flexed. Some folks raised a big fuss over it, but it was a way overblown issue. I turned on one for a couple of years w/o problems up to 14" or so.. it turns pens to platters just fine and I would buy one again. At the time is was the best sub-1000$ US lathe in the market for my money. You won't be unhappy with it.

As to the DVR, I have heard great things about it.. but haven't turned on one. I don't think you will go wrong either way.

Here is a link to the Nova 3000 page @ Teknatool

Nova3000 Product Page (http://www.teknatool.com/products/Lathes/3000/nova.htm)

Dick Strauss
04-24-2006, 1:53 PM
Stu,
If I had the money, I'd get the PM 3520. I didn't have enough money, so I got the Delta 1440 (46-715)! I know I will eventually replace my lathe. I often want to turn bowls bigger than 12" but can't do it on my Delta (without going outboard).

Now, I don't know what the 3520s go for in Japan, but they represent the best bang for the buck in the better class of lathes here in the US. I think the PM will be my last lathe when I have more disposable income. ( no I don't work for PM otherwise I'd already have one of their lathes!!!)

Michael Stafford
04-24-2006, 3:07 PM
Stu and others, I am in no way suggesting that the Nova is the best thing going. I know there are better lathes out there for more money. But I am very happy with my Nova and I have turned pens and 15 1/4" bowls on it. I find it to a very durable machine. I have turned on Vicmarcs, Deltas, Oneways, Dick Parr's DVR and a few of the mini/midis. They are all fine machines but they all have their limitations. It is sort of ridiculous to turn pens on a Oneway 2436 or whatever it is called just as it is dangerous to turn a 50 pound rough bowl blank on a Jet mini even if it will swing it, however precariously. I am not slamming any one machine. I am just happy with what I have and wished to share that information with Stu since he asked.

One other thing, I find the swiveling headstock to be a great advantage for certain turning applications as it allows you to see what you are doing without contorting over the lathe bed to look. I think Dick Parr has managed to do some serious turning on his with the headstock rotated so that he can sit in front of it on a stool. Others will argue that the PM 3520 allows the user to move the entire headstock down to the tailstock end and thereby stand directly in front of the turning. I am sure that is a pleasure.

Stu, do the research, ask those that have them and make the best informed decision you can. Everybody has a different set of priorities and a different pocketbook....

04-24-2006, 6:35 PM
Everyone, thanks for the info and the thoughts, I very much appreciate them.

The PM is not available to me in Japan, (that I know of, I've looked) except to have it shipped to me, which, would cost an awful lot.

The Nova DVR is not a huge massive heavy unit, so the shipping is a lot less, like I said, my friend Alex has one here in Japan, he got it from Woodcraft, $2400 delivered to his door.

In Mr. Grumbine's video, he uses a Poolewood lathe, after looking at that machine on the net and in his video, I'd say the DVR is sort of the same thing in a 100V way, as opposed to the 3-phase set up Mr. Bill has.

I very much like the idea of the headstock motor, it makes sense to me, I like the idea of no belts to slip, jump and or cause vibration, my C-man lathe vibrates like heck, and I find I cannot make a smooth cut once the vibes set in, if it don't vibrate, I can cut smooth, but once I get the vibes going....?

I've had a good look on the web of the machine, and I think I can get down to Alex's house to have a look and lay hands on his lathe, that would be great.

I know there are bigger, and I know there are better lathes out there, but this Nova DVR looks really good to me.

If money and space were not factors, I'd have a PM, or a Oneway, or a Poolewood for sure, but they are, my upper limit is really $3000, getting anymore out of the budget than that will be a tad painful:( and space, the PM has outboard turning if you move the headstock to the end of the ways, right?

Well that does not to me much good....

http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/images/lathe/concrete_forms.jpg

I've got concrete blocks on both ends of my lathe space, and to move my lathe to a different spot, well, that is just not going to happen, I'd have to re-do the whole Dungeon :eek:

Thus the Nova DVR may be my best bet.

Cheers!

Andy Hoyt
04-24-2006, 6:46 PM
Wonder where Stubby (http://www.omegastubbylathes.com/Front_Pagex.html)or Serious (http://www.seriouslathe.com/)fall into your budget?

04-24-2006, 7:08 PM
Dunno about the Serious stuff, but it seems the Stuby distributor is also the Vicmarc guy here in Japan, e-mail sent.

Cheers!

Jim Becker
04-24-2006, 9:54 PM
If money and space were not factors, I'd have a PM, or a Oneway, or a Poolewood for sure, but they are, my upper limit is really $3000, getting anymore out of the budget than that will be a tad painful and space, the PM has outboard turning if you move the headstock to the end of the ways, right?

Well...not a Poolewood unless you find a used one. No longer available for the most part. The new Stubby F600 might be an option, but I suspect it will also be out of your price range given where you live. You could contact Rob at Omega (http://www.omegastubbylathes.com/Front_Pagex.html) to find out, however...it's not listed on their web site. (US based folks should contact Stubby Lathe USA (http://www.stubbylatheusa.com./cgi-bin/index.py))

04-24-2006, 10:52 PM
The guy in Japan selling the Stubby is the same guy selling the Vicmarc, I've sent him an e-mail

Cheers!

04-25-2006, 3:24 AM
Jim, I thought that Poolewood has a new model out...?

The "NEW" Poolewood POLARIS DVSL LATHE

Not that I could afford one.....:rolleyes:

I got an email back from the one distributor......

Vicmarc
VL300short(3HP) 550,000 yen ($5000)
VL200(2HP) 500,000 yen ($4550 )
VL175(1..5HP) 400,000 yen ($3640)
VL100(1HP) 157,500 yen ($1430)

Beaver
B150VS(1HP) 175,000 yen ($1590)
B150SH(1HP) 190,000 yen ($1730)

Penta
Mini Lathe(0.5HP EVS) 58,400 yen ($530)

Oneway
1224(1HP) 315,000 yen ($2860)

All of these include the tax and shipping to my door.But that is the smallest one they sell, right?

The Nova DVR XP is going to be 300,000 yen ($2730) plus shipping.

So none of you guys complain about what you pay for lathes in the US, OK! :D

Now I got to look up all of these units.

Oh yeah, they say there will be a new Nova 3000 available in September, 170,000 yen, ($1545) or there abouts.

Jim Becker
04-25-2006, 7:24 AM
Stu, sorry...I was unaware that Poolewood was back in the game.

04-25-2006, 7:29 AM
No problem at all Jim, I'm just happy to know something that someone else did not know, don't happen very often ;) :D

Sure is a big motor on that sucker!

I'm still leaning towards the DVR, just seems like the lathe that fills my needs of space, cost and performance.

Cheers!

Adam Howard
04-25-2006, 7:38 AM
Hi Stu,

I've got that exact lathe, and have found it a pleasure to use.

I have used mine in a production type environment for some time now, literally hundreds of turnings.

Is it one you will outgrow? That depends on you, I suppose. It's got plenty of capacity (swing), and the motor is reasonably powered. I can still bog mine down with a heavy enough cut, though. Speed changes only take about 10 seconds once you get used to it, so that's not really an issue. Do buy a couple extra belts so you have a spare. It would suck to have to wait for one to be shipped overseas. You can also get bed extensions for longer spindle work.

My biggest "complaint" is it's lack of mass. True it weighs in around 200#, but it still does not handle out of balance turnings like the big boys do. I'm in the market for a PM3520 if that tells you anything.

Good luck! It really is a fine lathe at a reasonable price.

04-25-2006, 7:45 AM
Thanks for the info Adam.

The Nova 3000 is not sold anymore, there is an update coming, but they are saying September at the soonest :(

Thus I'm looking at the Nova DVR XP.

No belts to change, or break!

I have a fairly good stand to put it on.....

http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/images/lathe/a_fine_mess.jpg

I'm thinking if the DVR was bolted to this stand, it might handle some larger turnings just fine....?

Cheers!

Hi Stu,

I've got that exact lathe, and have found it a pleasure to use.

I have used mine in a production type environment for some time now, literally hundreds of turnings.

Is it one you will outgrow? That depends on you, I suppose. It's got plenty of capacity (swing), and the motor is reasonably powered. I can still bog mine down with a heavy enough cut, though. Speed changes only take about 10 seconds once you get used to it, so that's not really an issue. Do buy a couple extra belts so you have a spare. It would suck to have to wait for one to be shipped overseas. You can also get bed extensions for longer spindle work.

My biggest "complaint" is it's lack of mass. True it weighs in around 200#, but it still does not handle out of balance turnings like the big boys do. I'm in the market for a PM3520 if that tells you anything.

Good luck! It really is a fine lathe at a reasonable price.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-25-2006, 9:47 AM
Stu.........you could easily mount Bill's Poolewood on that stand you built and turn a new satellite for Nasa! You ought to try using my little Jet VS Mini.....on the diving board .......put on a little octagon bowl blank......even at 500 rpm there can be some interesting vibration!

George Conklin
04-25-2006, 10:04 AM
Hi Stu,
I have a DVR and I love it! Mine is smooth, quiet and powerful. I found that accessories are easily available also.

I really doubt that you will out grow this machine, but anything is possible:rolleyes: .

It's a shame you have to pay so much more over there.

Feel free to pm me if you have any specific ???'s

Cecil Arnold
04-25-2006, 11:23 AM
Stu, have you tried to contact PM direct and see if you could get one shipped from Taiwan direct? If that was possible you might be able to save a few $$.

04-25-2006, 2:55 PM
Stu, have you tried to contact PM direct and see if you could get one shipped from Taiwan direct? If that was possible you might be able to save a few $$.

No, I've not done that, maybe I should.

I contacted Grizzly a long while back about doing something similar, I would not want the motors etc, and they were willing to play ball, but did not want to ship them without motors.....

I'll give it a shot.

Cheers!

Ed Scolforo
04-25-2006, 4:20 PM
Stu, looking at your space there's only one logical choice: Get the Nova. My shop isn't very big either, and the DVR-XP was a great choice, not only in terms of space requirements, but also price and remarkable performance. You won't be sorry.
Ed

04-25-2006, 10:28 PM
Stu, looking at your space there's only one logical choice: Get the Nova. My shop isn't very big either, and the DVR-XP was a great choice, not only in terms of space requirements, but also price and remarkable performance. You won't be sorry.
Ed

Thanks Ed, it sure looks like it will be the choice. Just waiting on some final things to be wrapped up before I pull the trigger.

Cheers!

Bill Grumbine
04-26-2006, 8:09 AM
Jim, I thought that Poolewood has a new model out...?

The "NEW" Poolewood POLARIS DVSL LATHE

Not that I could afford one.....:rolleyes:

Hi Stu

You probably wouldn't want one anyway. I have not seen this lathe in person, but it looks like it was cobbled together out of spare parts. I know a distributor in England who sent his sample back to the factory and cancelled his order when he got this machine in house. I think it is a mere shadow of a great lathe. I would say go for the DVR. It is a very nice machine. I have done some turning on it a few times, and I almost bought one myself.

Bill

04-26-2006, 8:30 AM
Thanks for the info Bill.

Well folks, I tell you, I'm so close to pulling the trigger on the DVR, then I get an e-mail from one of the guys here that sell lathes.

He has a VL300 short-bed for 385,000 yen ($3500) it is a demo unit, but he says it is like new. He also has a new in the box one, for 420,000 yen ($3820) the regular price is 500,000 yen ($4545) so if I got the demo unit, I'd be getting a $4545 lathe for $3500, or $1045 off the price :eek:

VL300ESVX - Vicmarc VL300 - Short Bed - Cabinet Mounted Lathe.

The VL300 Series Electronic Variable Speed Lathe has been designed to suit most professional wood turners. The electronic variable speed drive gives 150% torque on low rpm and the 1.5kw motor is adequate for this size lathe. The two step pulleys provide ratios 1: 1 for small to medium size work and 1: 3 for large work.

The cast iron lathe is mounted on a 5mm thick steel plate stand which has been designed with a wide footprint for stability and rigidity. The stand also features storage space, wood shaving discharge chute and emergency knee bar stop. The short bed version has a bolt on extension facility. By bolting the extension on to the lathe the distance between centres would be 1.5m

Specifications:

Centre Height 300mm 11.8"
Swing over Bed 600mm 23.6"
Distance between Centres Long 1300mm 51.18" Short 500mm 19.68"
Indexing 24 Holes
Spindle Thread M33 X 3.5
Headstock Bored No. 2MT
Spindle Bearing Tapered Roller
Electronic Variable Speed with Digital rpm indicator Infinitely Variable 30 -3000 rpm
Hole Thru Headstock Spindle 15mm 0.6"
Tailstock Spindle No. 2MT
Hole Thru Tailstock Spindle 10.5mm 0.41"
Motor 1500 watts
Forward & Reverse Switch Yes
Emergency Knee-Bar Stop Yes
Wide Footprint 700mm 27.55"
Hollow Ballast Two sides
Net Weight 300kg 660lbs

Standard Accessories Accessories:
1 x Faceplate 150mm 6"
1 x Spur Drive
1 x Live Centre Cup
1 x Knockout Bar
1 x Tool rest 300mm 12"
1 x Spanner
Owners Manual
Other accessories are available

YIKES!!!! :eek::eek:

(OK, what else do I have around here to sell..........)

Actually, I've made up my mind to NOT buy anything until after the 29th Demo, the guy there has a VL300 long bed, and you just never know, someone in the turners group may have a good used lathe that they don't need as they are upgrading.

Cheers!

04-26-2006, 8:42 AM
Hey Bill Grumbine, empty you PMs they are full :D

George Conklin
04-26-2006, 9:32 AM
That lathe will work! Go for it!

04-26-2006, 9:40 AM
Just looking over them specs for the VL300, 24" swing..... :eek:

Goodness, I'd have to buy trees from Canada to use that! :D

Cecil Arnold
04-26-2006, 3:29 PM
Goodness, I'd have to buy trees from Canada to use that! :D

Don't know why not, seems everyone else in Japan is.