PDA

View Full Version : Cocobolo Tool Handles - Marking Knife

Lars Thomas
04-23-2006, 8:36 PM
Thanks to this forum, I discovered turning new handles for tools. This could be a never-ending project! Last week I turned the two awls and posted separately. However this weekend I made the marking knife from an old broken file. I shaped it on the belt sander. As a kind of nod to it's former life, I left the file 'brand' on the knife.

Attached is a work-in-progress pix and a picture of the completed knife.

Thanks to all on this forum; especially Dave Anderson, for teaching me how to do this. Lars

David Fried
04-23-2006, 9:33 PM
Nice! Makes me want to use them!!
Knife handles are still on my to-do list but you're encouraging me!!

I really like the action shot. Very cool.

Bernie Weishapl
04-23-2006, 9:36 PM
Lars those are some mighty fine looking tools. The handles look great. Nice work.

Jeremiah Jordan
04-23-2006, 9:50 PM
Nice looking sharp & pointy things there Lars. Just wondering for the blades if you did half tang, or full tangs on the blades. And if you did use full tangs, how did you mount the blade?

Sorry if i sound like the Spanish inquisition, but I have always wanted to dabble in blade and sword smithng.

Have to love the cocobolo, all for except the cold I get after turning the stuff.

Jeremiah

Ernie Nyvall
04-23-2006, 10:40 PM
Very cool Lars. Really nice work.

Ernie

Corey Hallagan
04-23-2006, 11:10 PM
Nice job, those look great. I need to make some awls myself!

Corey

Jim Ketron
04-23-2006, 11:22 PM
Nice looking tools!

Pat Salter
04-24-2006, 12:11 AM
Yeah, they are great looking tools, but that first picture has me laughing and shaking with fear at the same time. Just how close are those sparks to that can of shallec???:eek:

Just keep your fire extinghuisher close by and hope your insurance man doesn't see that :D

John Hart
04-24-2006, 7:56 AM
So you took that picture with one hand and grinding with the other I assume!!! You're as bad as me Lars!:D

Great looking tools!!

Tyler Howell
04-24-2006, 8:08 AM
Awesomes Lars:cool:

Keith Burns
04-24-2006, 8:13 AM
Very nice Lars. Great turnings:) :)

Mark Rios
04-24-2006, 11:38 AM
Yeah, they are great looking tools, but that first picture has me laughing and shaking with fear at the same time. Just how close are those sparks to that can of shallec???:eek:

Just keep your fire extinghuisher close by and hope your insurance man doesn't see that :D

Those turnings look great but Pat's thought was my first thought as well.

Flammables and sparks.....MMMMMmmmm...gooood stuff. :D :D :D

Lars Thomas
04-24-2006, 12:22 PM
Jeremiah, I believe the tang on the knife is referred to as push tang. The 2” pointed tang was jammed into a hole in the handle partially filled with epoxy. I drilled a stepped hole, so it really fit really tight even without the epoxy.

Pat, it’s funny you mention the can of flammable shellac, perhaps that wasn’t my best idea. But, even worse (I suppose), is the blue rag nearly in the line of ‘fire’ sitting next to the can of shellac. It has all the makings of a Molotov cocktail.

John, I figure I got two hands. I can grind with one and take photos with the other. I thought the sparks would make a good picture.

Mike Ramsey
04-24-2006, 12:27 PM
That's a fine job on those exotic handles Lars!!

Frank Fusco
04-24-2006, 5:56 PM
Very fine looking tools. I recently replaced the old, really old, handle on an awl with osage orange. Looks nice but yours puts me to shame, no picture.