PDA

View Full Version : Proposed Fun Turning (Long)

Christopher K. Hartley
04-23-2006, 6:02 PM
I was just thinking today after reading a number of posts having to do with various turning projects. I often see wood that is used for various projects that is unique to certain parts of the country. Now, I’m not talking about the exotic stuff from other countries that you can go and buy but native woods that grow in specific areas of the US. When I see those projects I often wonder how nice it would be to try some of that particular wood. I got to thinking that it would be
cool to have a wood swap and project post. If you’ve ever played Dirty Santa it would work kind of like that. Here’s the idea.
Everyone wanting to participate would agree to the following:
Select a blank of native wood, to your area of the country.
Send picture of wood to the moderator by _______date.
Wood can not be purchased at a lumber store or on the internet.
The blank must not be smaller than 4” x 4” x 4” and not larger than 8” x 8” x 8”.
Participant agrees to send the blank at their expense to the determined receiver.
The receiver agrees to create a project and post pictures of the results at an agreed upon, by the group time, between 30 and 60 days after all have received their wood.

Dirty Turning:

A moderator is selected, preferably a non participant they are sent pics of the blanks by the participants. The moderator assigns random numbers to the pictures after they have all been received. The moderator assigns the participants the draw order based on the order in which their entry is received.
On the first turn, the participant with draw order 1 chooses a number, and is shown the picture with that corresponding number. It is revealed to all the other participants, this done by way of the forum.
On the second turn, the participant with draw order 2 gets the choice of "stealing" 1’s blank or receiving a new draw blank. If 2 steals 1's blank, then 1 must be given a new draw blank.
On the third turn, the participant with draw order 3 gets the choice of "stealing" either 1’s or 2’s blank, or receiving a new one.

Turns:

The turn proceeds until a blank is chosen and received. If your blank is stolen you may steal from someone else that has a "live" blank.
Once a blank is stolen, it can not be stolen again until the next turn. This rule prevents the stealing and re-stealing of a blank from creating an infinite loop.
A blank is "dead" once a blank has been stolen 3 times.
All "live" blanks are visible in the thread for request by a potential thief.

Conclusion

The blank exchange typically ends when the last blank is chosen and received.
However, if the first player has not had a chance to steal a blank, they may be permitted to do so at this time.
If the first draw order participant steals a blank, their blank then becomes the blank of the participant stolen from.

John Hart
04-23-2006, 6:12 PM
Ok...it took me three times....but I think I got it.:o Except the part
It is revealed to all the
other participants, this done on the NG.

What's NG?

Christopher K. Hartley
04-23-2006, 6:16 PM
Ok...it took me three times....but I think I got it.:o Except the part

What's NG?

The NG is the News Group or Forum, Thanks I'll change that now.

John Hart
04-23-2006, 6:18 PM
Oh...Ok. I voted for it. Interesting.:)

Kurt Rosenzweig
04-23-2006, 6:21 PM
Why not go 1 more step and have everyone turn something from the blank they receive and repete the process again! I'd love to start a collection of different artists! Seems like it would be a great way to get one started!

Christopher K. Hartley
04-23-2006, 6:26 PM
Why not go 1 more step and have everyone turn something from the blank they receive and repete the process again! I'd love to start a collection of different artists! Seems like it would be a great way to get one started!

Hey great idea and we could get autographs as well!

Andy Hoyt
04-23-2006, 6:30 PM
I got confused right after you said
I was just thinking todaybut that neither surprises nor alarms me.

I'm in, even though I have no idea what I'm "in" to.

Christopher K. Hartley
04-23-2006, 6:35 PM
I got confused right after you said but that neither surprises nor alarms me.

That's ok Andy, alot of folks ask me not to think. If you think you are confused you should be on this end.

laurie sullivan
04-23-2006, 6:38 PM
you know, i'm new to your forum and i'd love to jump in if you'll have me

laurieimages/icons/icon10.gif

Pete Jordan
04-23-2006, 6:39 PM
And the party of the first part...
You're not in charge of the prescription program are you?

Pete

Christopher K. Hartley
04-23-2006, 6:41 PM

You are WELCOME to jump in!! The more the better! Thanks, What do you turn on Laurie?

Christopher K. Hartley
04-23-2006, 6:47 PM
And the party of the first part...
You're not in charge of the prescription program are you?

Pete

Hey, I was going to ask Andy to write it but then it would have been clear.

laurie sullivan
04-23-2006, 6:55 PM
i started about 3 years ago and it's like a good fishing pole.......you just can't put it down. i have sold pens and given away bowls. i love to buy and trade wood. thanks for the invite. let me know when we start.

laurie

Erin Raasch
04-23-2006, 7:00 PM
OK, after some hesitation, being a brand new turner and all, I'm in. At first I wasn't sure where I'd get wood that wasn't "store bought", but we have a certain tree that's going to be taken down in the next few weeks (if the arborists are on schedule). Of course, if the timing doesn't work out, I may be in trouble, but I'll see what I can scavenge. :D

My skills are still not very well developed, but if I end up with some nice wood, I'll sure try to do it justice!

Erin

Michael Stafford
04-23-2006, 7:44 PM
Say what? Can you say that again, Andy?:eek: :p :D

Blake McCully
04-23-2006, 8:29 PM
John's quicker on the uptake than I. Four readings and still :confused: .

Is this part something separate from the "Dirty Turning" part? :confused:

Everyone wanting to participate would agree to the following:
Select a blank of native wood, to your area of the country.
Send picture of wood to the moderator by _______date.
Wood can not be purchased at a lumber store or on the internet.
The blank must not be smaller than 4” x 4” x 4” and not larger than 8” x 8” x 8”.
Participant agrees to send the blank at their expense to the determined receiver.
The receiver agrees to create a project and post pictures of the results at an agreed upon, by the group time, between 30 and 60 days after all have received their wood.

Or is that the first part of the "Dirty Turning"? :confused:

I'm voting for it anyway, prolly need more explanations. :confused:

Andy Hoyt
04-23-2006, 8:44 PM
I was just thinking today

but that neither surprises nor alarms me.

Michael Stafford
04-23-2006, 8:48 PM
Andy, thanks for clearing that up......:o :p :eek: :D

Curt Fuller
04-23-2006, 8:58 PM

but that neither surprises nor alarms me.

What he said???

David Fried
04-23-2006, 9:30 PM
OK. I sure hope I don't blow up some elses wood!

Ernie Nyvall
04-23-2006, 10:28 PM
I'm in, but you forgot a fourth category for the vote... "Are you nuts, let's do it anyway. I vote yes.":D

Ernie

Ernie Nyvall
04-23-2006, 10:31 PM

Welcome Laurie and of course jump right in.

Ernie

Jeff Horton
04-23-2006, 10:53 PM
Anyone seen the HUH? vote option? It must be here somewhere. Whats that in the floor there?

John Hart
04-24-2006, 7:14 AM
I vote that Christopher be the moderator of this thing, if we do it. It's his idea.....besides.....He seems to understand the rules.:confused: :D

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-24-2006, 7:35 AM
I'll vote yes, and pity the person who has to send me a blank :D

Pete Jordan
04-24-2006, 8:28 AM
I'll vote yes, and pity the person who has to send me a blank :D

With my luck, I'm already savin up! How well does balsa turn?

Pete:D

Lee DeRaud
04-24-2006, 11:44 AM
I vote that Christopher be the moderator of this thing, if we do it. It's his idea.....besides.....He seems to understand the rules.:confused: :DSecond that vote. But I think he only understands the rules slightly better than the rest of us...which ain't sayin' much.:eek:

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-24-2006, 11:48 AM
With my luck, I'm already savin up! How well does balsa turn?

Dunno, I'd give it a go though! :D

Keith Burns
04-24-2006, 12:00 PM
The more I read, the confusedered I get. But thats alright, by tommorrow I'll have forgotten everything I thought I knew anyhow:D

Mike Ramsey
04-24-2006, 12:09 PM
I'm confusedered too! but I'm in...This is kinda like those Wood exchanges
that they do on other forums....maybe??
Welcome to the Creek Laurie!!

Steve Ash
04-24-2006, 12:44 PM
Sounds like fun, but I think I'll wait till you all do the next one and get some turning expierience in first.

Joe Melton
04-24-2006, 12:48 PM
I'll try. Count me in.

Christopher K. Hartley
04-24-2006, 1:25 PM
Sounds like fun, but I think I'll wait till you all do the next one and get some turning expierience in first.

<O:p
I vote that Christopher be the moderator of this thing, if we do it. It's his idea.....besides.....He seems to understand the rules.:confused: :D
</O:p

Alright Steve, this is no time to sit on the sidelines, besides a little pressure will do us all good. Come on what do ya say? I'll even take on the moderator if you get in the game. We NEED ya Man! Please!!!!!!!!

Christopher K. Hartley
04-24-2006, 1:32 PM
Second that vote. But I think he only understands the rules slightly better than the rest of us...which ain't sayin' much.:eek: RULES? Did someone say RULES? What are Rules?:eek: :eek: :rolleyes:

Rich Stewart
04-24-2006, 2:11 PM
I, like everyone else it seems, have some problems understanding what the heck he said but if somebody walks me through it, I'm in. Christopher, do you work in government? Maybe the IRS? What I did understand sounds like fun. Tell me what I gotta do.

Andy Hoyt
04-24-2006, 2:27 PM
I, like everyone else it seems, have some problems understanding what the heck he said but if somebody walks me through it, I'm in. Christopher, do you work in government? Maybe the IRS? What I did understand sounds like fun. Tell me what I gotta do.
Rich - if you read the stuff his info page you'll discover that our Mr. Hartley is in "Sales Development" for the Funeral Service Industry.

I think this means he's a hit man.:eek:

Raymond Overman
04-24-2006, 2:45 PM
Mr. Hartley is in "Sales Development" for the Funeral Service Industry.

Now that's funny... what kind of education do you need to get into that line of work. Do you have to be a lawyer first?

I'd give it a go if it gets off the ground. The Dirty Santa part for the blanks is going to be a pita over the web. After it's turned will it be a matter of sending it off again in another Dirty Santa deal or do you keep the piece? How about sending the turning back to the original owner?

John Hart
04-24-2006, 3:11 PM
Now that's funny... what kind of education do you need to get into that line of work. Do you have to be a lawyer first?

I'd give it a go if it gets off the ground. The Dirty Santa part for the blanks is going to be a pita over the web. After it's turned will it be a matter of sending it off again in another Dirty Santa deal or do you keep the piece? How about sending the turning back to the original owner?

I don't know about the rest of you...but I wouldn't want my piece of wood back. I would prefer something different than what grows around here.

Christopher K. Hartley
04-24-2006, 3:19 PM
Rich - if you read the stuff his info page you'll discover that our Mr. Hartley is in "Sales Development" for the Funeral Service Industry.

Not quite, but I am one of those who will be the last to ever let you down!

Christopher K. Hartley
04-24-2006, 3:24 PM

Have a heart Ray, at least I didn't ask if anyone wanted to make urns.

Mark Rios
04-24-2006, 3:54 PM
Have a heart Ray, at least I didn't ask if anyone wanted to make urns.

Hey, maybe you could turn the urns out of someones ashes like Rich Stewart talked about in another thread?

Steve Ash
04-24-2006, 3:54 PM
<O:p
</O:p

Alright Steve, this is no time to sit on the sidelines, besides a little pressure will do us all good. Come on what do ya say? I'll even take on the moderator if you get in the game. We NEED ya Man! Please!!!!!!!!

I'm sure I can con...err, I mean talk Pete Jordan into letting me use his SWEET lathe, since mine is dysfunctional for a while. Count me in! :cool:

Rich Stewart
04-24-2006, 4:12 PM
I worked for a guy in the funeral business for a while. I wasn't much good at it. Couldn't get over the creepiness. Saw myself in the mirror one night in the main mortuary and almost had a stroke.:eek:

Pete Jordan
04-24-2006, 8:55 PM
I'm sure I can con...err, I mean talk Pete Jordan into letting me use his SWEET lathe, since mine is dysfunctional for a while. Count me in! :cool:
As long as you leave me a little turning time!

Don Baer
04-25-2006, 12:10 AM
I'll give it a err a try. Maybe I'll understand the rules in time to make something..:confused:

Pat Salter
04-25-2006, 7:01 PM
Hmmm, what kind of wood should I give??????? I know, I live in the Avocado Capitol of the World!!!! so I'll send Pine!! :D

Dick Strauss
04-26-2006, 9:44 PM
Just one thought...

NO ASH Trades!!!!

We don't want to spread the Emerald Ash Borer!!!!! It is already bad enough here in OH/MI.