PDA

View Full Version : "Cap'n, Thar be whales down here!"

Jim O'Dell
04-23-2006, 4:55 PM
I mean sprinklers!! ;) :D Well, before lunch I decided to go ahead and put the new filter in. Got all the PVC parts cut and clued together. Then waited 2 hours. Manually turned on each station for 4 minutes and watched for the sprinkler heads to show, after making sure there were no leaks at the new filter, of course. Where I could count 9 sprinkler heads before, I now know there are 50!! Several will have to be dug up and repositioned closer to the surface of the ground (one or two were two inches below-covered with dirt) Two will have to be dug up and moved because of where I put my fence. But all in all, I'm very pleased.
I think my controller has a way to turn on a valve without turning on the creek pump. I may hook up the other two circuits off of house water later on to run drip irrigation, or soaker hose on the part of the house that doesn't have plant beds with the sprayers so I can keep the foundation watered.
Thanks to all who helped me with your ideas! I'm glad I'm not going to have to spend my entire summer digging and replacing the complete system! I bet it will take me a month of weekends to finish what I need to do now. Have a great end of the weekend! Jim.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-23-2006, 5:17 PM
Glad to hear that Jim!

Sprinklers aren't nearly as much fun as WW!

Don Baer
04-25-2006, 12:42 AM
Jim,
If you don't have ine go to the borg or your local borg or hardware store and get a Nipple extractor..:eek: . I will allow you to take out the short nipples with a minimum of digging soi you can replace then with longer nipples. save a bunch of time. It;s a "T" shapped tools with a tapered end so that you can unscrew the nipples without digging them out.

Jim O'Dell
04-25-2006, 10:59 AM
Don, thanks. I'll have to dig one up and see how they are piped in. These are Hunter heads, and their brochures show a wild contraption for adjusting the height of the heads. It's a multi arm swivel. Don't know if that is a new invention, and if mine has them or not. If so, it will just be digging them up and repositioning them. Otherwise your idea may work. Just need to find out how they were originally installed. May spend a little time after work this evening and check one out. Jim.

Michael Gibbons
04-25-2006, 11:48 AM
Jim, I read that "Scotty" wanted his ashes to be launched into space. It will be happening in the next year or so and when the ship returns the spacecraft will burn up reentering into the earths atmosphere.

Jim O'Dell
04-25-2006, 2:44 PM
I heard about that. I think it's neat that they are willing to accomodate that request. Jim.