PDA

View Full Version : indian corn pens?

Stephen Hibbs
04-23-2006, 2:42 PM
I remember there being a topic on this a while ago, but what kind of indian corn would one want to use for making pens? Does it even really matter? And where would I get it (I don't think anywhere around me has it except during turkey day)?

Mark Rios
04-23-2006, 3:12 PM
Ya know, when I read this post I couldn't stand it any longer and I just had to post.

You turning folks are WIERD!!!.......Indian corn pens?.....
What,...as opposed to white corn pens or yellow corn pens? What's next?......are one of you gonna turn a pen out of a carrot?

How 'bout a Milkbone pen, huh? For dog lovers?

How about freezing a trout and turning a pen out of that for the person who loves to fish? Oh no...wait...couldn't do that......you'd need some special threaded chuck thingy with a number 4.8 doohhickey on it for a trout. But what about a small mouth bass??....oh well; that should be easier...no attachments needed for a bass............................

Gosh......I'm trying to be more rounded by reading different forums but I'm going crazy reading these turning posts aaaaaarrrrrrgggggghhhhhh :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: .

Stephen Hibbs
04-23-2006, 3:16 PM
the cool thing about them is that it looks like it is made from snakeskin :p . Anyways, I don't like trout :D

Jeff Horton
04-23-2006, 3:32 PM
I don't like trout :D

You don't like the Rainbow colors on the trout pens??

Curt Fuller
04-23-2006, 4:29 PM
Ya know, when I read this post I couldn't stand it any longer and I just had to post.

What,...as opposed to white corn pens or yellow corn pens? What's next?......are one of you gonna turn a pen out of a carrot?

How about freezing a trout and turning a pen out of that for the person who loves to fish? Oh no...wait...couldn't do that......you'd need some special threaded chuck thingy with a number 4.8 doohhickey on it for a trout. But what about a small mouth bass??....oh well; that should easier...no attachments needed for a bass............................

Gosh......I'm trying to be more rounded by reading different forums but I'm going crazy reading these turning posts aaaaaarrrrrrgggggghhhhhh :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: .

Hey, thanks for the great ideas!

Blake McCully
04-23-2006, 4:30 PM

How about freezing a trout and turning a pen out of that for the person who loves to fish? Oh no...wait...couldn't do that......you'd need some special threaded chuck thingy with a number 4.8 doohhickey on it for a trout. But what about a small mouth bass??....oh well; that should easier...no attachments needed for a bass............................

go away why doncha

John Hart
04-23-2006, 5:30 PM

I'm thinking that I could Turn a Salmon Bonker, bonk a Salmon, and then make a Salmon Pen! You've been a great help Mark! So....when are you getting your lathe?:)

Kurt Rosenzweig
04-23-2006, 5:34 PM
Jeeeees Mark! Been sleeping on the couch alot lately?

John Hart
04-23-2006, 5:41 PM
Oh...back to the original question...Stephen...I think you can pick up Indian Corn most anytime at the grocery store. Just look for the little ones....And then head over to the frozen section and find some Trout....That is....if you have a Trout Chuck.:)

Bernie Weishapl
04-23-2006, 5:42 PM
Stephen I think it is Ron Anige that turns them. He is on here. You might PM him. He lives in Denver and I am pretty sure he was the one that had some pictures on here at one time.

Andy Hoyt
04-23-2006, 6:36 PM
http://www.woodturningdesign.com/issues/back.shtml

Paul Downes
04-23-2006, 6:41 PM
Hey Mark, ya got me thinkin. I've seen the snakeskin blanks offered on some of the supply sites. They sure get a pretty penny for them blanks. I bet I could salvage some of them fish skins next time I'm fileting a mess O' gills. It could be a new fad. I bet them high falutin folks that get them fancy fishin poles would go for a pen made out a the hide of their favorite fish. :D Speckled trout sure are pretty. I supose I might have to git a paint brush out to get them pretty little blue and red circles back onto the skin, but hey, It would be an art pen for sure.:D :D YA never know, I might be laughing all the way to the bank. (The money bank, not the fishin one) I guess if they sell, I'll have to reward you with a complimentary pen for your contribution and inspiration.

laurie sullivan
04-23-2006, 6:46 PM
I have turn cobs and sometimes the cob is white and sometimes it's red. but after turning the blank the pen is still the same color. i think it's the kernal thats colored (not the cob). you can dye them.......:)

laurie

Jason Boushard
04-23-2006, 7:08 PM
I dont know about trout but heres some nile perch you can turn
http://www.glimmerznmore.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=6 I want to get my hands on some corn cobs and make some pens too just havent had the time

Mark Rios
04-23-2006, 7:20 PM
My apologies to Stephen, I didn't mean to hijack his thread. His question just kinda hit me on the funny bone and all this curosity has been building and building since I started reading your turning posts.

John Hart : I'm thinking that I could Turn a Salmon Bonker, bonk a Salmon, and then make a Salmon Pen! You've been a great help Mark! So....when are you getting your lathe?

John, I'm taking strength from Tyler and trying to keep my curiosity from turning into any more than just that, a curiosity. We have addictive personalities in my family and this "turning crack" or "turning meth" or whatever he calls it would probably be my undoing. :D :D :D

You turning folks just keep spinning away. I'll look on from the outside and keep admiring your wonderful, beautiful work. You folks have a touch and an artistry that I can only begin to dream of.

Mark Rios
04-23-2006, 7:23 PM
I dont know about trout but heres some nile perch you can turn
http://www.glimmerznmore.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=6 I want to get my hands on some corn cobs and make some pens too just havent had the time

Oh my goodness, you folks actually do use fish. I'm running for the hills!!!!!

:D :D :D

Jeremiah Jordan
04-23-2006, 10:13 PM
Who woulda thunk it? A Fish pen. From the picture on the website selling them it seems to me at least you got the scales glued down and then you have like an acrylic coat over the top of it. Could be just me, but right now I do not have the cash to spend on a blank just to see what it looks like. But then again a perfect gift for a fisherman!

Jeremiah

Rich Stewart
04-24-2006, 8:23 AM
Get the lathe Mark. Get the lathe Mark. While you are driving just look at all the FREE wood on the side of the road. There's bowls in there. And pens and goblets and boxes. Get the lathe Mark.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-24-2006, 11:45 AM
You just had to go and spill the bean Mark, now you have wreaked my next bombing run.......... :D

We sell dried salmon.......

and dried little fish.....

and even dried squid

I'm sure with some acrylic resin, one could do lots of stuff :D

Seriously this stuff is sold for snacks to go with beer, I don't eat the stuff, but then I've only been here for 16 years... :eek:

Funny topic Mark!

Excuse the poor pics they are from my scanner....

Frank Fusco
04-24-2006, 12:39 PM

How about freezing a trout and turning a pen out of that for the person who loves to fish? Oh no...wait...couldn't do that......you'd need some special threaded chuck thingy with a number 4.8 doohhickey on it for a trout. But what about a small mouth bass??....oh well; that should be easier...no attachments needed for a bass............................

Mark, I have a friend who claims that with enough CA you could turn a pen out of a flatulent. :rolleyes: You try it and let us know. But do it from a distance. :)

Mike Ramsey
04-24-2006, 12:45 PM
Hmmm dried Squid...bet that would cure ya from biting on your pen!

John Hart
04-24-2006, 12:48 PM
John, I'm taking strength from Tyler and trying to keep my curiosity from turning into any more than just that, a curiosity. We have addictive personalities in my family and this "turning crack" or "turning meth" or whatever he calls it would probably be my undoing. :D :D :D...

Oh...ok....I see. Yeah...I often turn to sage widsom of Pink-Thong-Clad Picture Police to determine my future too. Good thinkin' Mark.;)

...So...When are you getting the lathe?:)

Keith Burns
04-24-2006, 12:57 PM
I have 3 cobs that my friend and fellow SMC'er Joe Melton gave me, just haven't worked up the nerve to turn them yet.:confused: Also saw a snakeskin that he had turned, absolutely great pen:)

Rich Stewart
04-24-2006, 2:27 PM
I brought this up once before and got a bunch of eewww's from several people but now seems like a good time to revisit it. Could you put human ashes in some sort of epoxy and turn items out of it? Seems like it would be lots easier than turning fish scales. Sure wouldn't want to get on me though. Need a SUPER dc unit. Chips and all. BUahahahahaha.

Mark Rios
04-24-2006, 3:37 PM
Oh...ok....I see. Yeah...I often turn to sage widsom of Pink-Thong-Clad Picture Police to determine my future too. Good thinkin' Mark.;)

...So...When are you getting the lathe?:)

ROFLOL

Rich Stewart: I brought this up once before and got a bunch of eewww's from several people but now seems like a good time to revisit it. Could you put human ashes in some sort of epoxy and turn items out of it? Seems like it would be lots easier than turning fish scales. Sure wouldn't want to get on me though. Need a SUPER dc unit. Chips and all. BUahahahahaha.

I'd also want a full Supplied Air Respirator while working with that blank; Maybe even a Class A haz-mat suit. :D If you breathed in enough dust you might become part of the family.