PDA

View Full Version : Cherry NE

Keith Burns
04-23-2006, 1:00 PM
This wood has been around a bit. Came from Mark Cothren in Arkansas, traveled to Mississippi where it was roughed out and DNA'ed at Travis', then brought back to Tennessee where it finished air drying. Just completed it today. It measures 5-3/4" tall x 8" diameter. The base is 2" diameter. Walls are 3/8". Managed to keep all of the bark in tact which suprised me. Finish is wipe on poly and eventual buffing once cured. Reversed vacuum chucked to finish bottom. Just a smooth concave, nothing fancy. Thanks for looking.

Jim Davenport
04-23-2006, 1:33 PM
Wow! beautiful job. NE bowls always inspire me.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-23-2006, 1:53 PM
Have you ever noticed that the really talented folks say "nothing special"?........Right Keith!.........That thing is gorgeous!

David Fried
04-23-2006, 1:59 PM
"nothing fancy" ... this is a case where less is more! Nothing distracting, very clean and really pretty. Great job.

Corey Hallagan
04-23-2006, 2:08 PM
Congrats Keith, that is a wondeful piece! Fancy... oh I think so!

Corey

Chris DiCiaccio
04-23-2006, 2:27 PM
WOW, that is a great piece and what great work.

Barry Stratton
04-23-2006, 2:27 PM
Beautiful! That is one nice NE................

Bruce Shiverdecker
04-23-2006, 2:32 PM
The work speaks for itself!

elegant!!!

Bruce

Travis Stinson
04-23-2006, 2:36 PM
OUTSTANDING! Mighty fine work Keith, from someone who "claims" to have never touched a gouge to green wood!:eek: ;) :D :D :D

Michael Stafford
04-23-2006, 2:54 PM
Nothing special.....nothing special he says. Somewhere in my shop are the remnants of a NE. If I can find them I will take a picture and show you nothing in particular. That is something special!! Very well done, Keith!:D

Gotta love that view looking directly into the bottom of the bowl....:D

Mark Cothren
04-23-2006, 3:23 PM
Keith, that is fantastic! Love the way it finished up! Great work!

Just so you know :o , the "hairs" on that bark are the leftovers from some major ivy that was growing on that tree. Hopefully the DNA took care of it.

Hey John Hart... this is the same batch that I have waiting to send to you... have I teased long enough? ;)

John Hart
04-23-2006, 5:38 PM
....Hey John Hart... this is the same batch that I have waiting to send to you... have I teased long enough? ;)

I'm really quite thankful Mark! I haven't had much shop time lately.:( You just take your time sir, and when it comes I'll try to keep up with Keith!! Sheesh! That thing is just plain beautiful...nothin' fancy.:p :)

Bernie Weishapl
04-23-2006, 5:40 PM
Yea right nothing fancy. Keith that is beautiful. Nice fit and finish. Nice work Keith.

Ed Scolforo
04-23-2006, 6:20 PM
Keith, that's a beautiful work you have there. Congratulations! The photography is very impressive also. Thanks for showing us.
Ed

John Miliunas
04-23-2006, 6:43 PM
Hmmm...Let's see if I got this right: Cherry...One of my favorites. :) NE, making it stand out from the "ordinary". Perfect form, with a continuous curve. Great finish. Nah...Nuthin' "fancy" about that one! Sheeeesh....talk about understatements! :D :cool:

Pete Jordan
04-23-2006, 6:56 PM
Keith,

That is special! I have a couple of questions. Could you be more specific when you say wipe on poly. Is there a brand you usually use? I was also wondering if you put CA on your bark to keep it there. I have only seen one natural edge bowl made and the turner used CA.

thanks,

Pete

Ernie Nyvall
04-23-2006, 10:15 PM
That's a real beauty Keith. I like that form... even though it's nothing fancy:rolleyes:

Ernie

Jim Ketron
04-23-2006, 11:25 PM
Nice Job Keith!
I really like the taller NE better than the short ones this is a good example!
I think this was your first green turning?
MMMMMMMMM you think turning green wood is Fun Now?

Gil Jones
04-23-2006, 11:28 PM
Thay is one beautiful natural edge bowl!! Being made of Cherry counts extra, I love that wood.

Keith Burns
04-24-2006, 8:28 AM
Thanks for the kind and encouraging comments. They are appreciated.

Pete, I think most of these guys us a wipe on gel poly. I've never used poly on a turning until now. All I had was Watco wipe on and it seems to be fine. Will see after I buff it. I only used the CA glue on the bark for my final finish cut on the inside.

Jim, yes.....green wood is fun:)

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-24-2006, 11:47 AM
That NE is surely NOT NF (Nothing Fancy).

The simple flowing form is really nice!

Mike Ramsey
04-24-2006, 12:42 PM
That is beautiful Keith!! Haven't tried a NE yet, haven't had a good
chunk of the right wood to use.....yet...