PDA

View Full Version : Some Pens

Mike Vickery
04-23-2006, 11:15 AM
Alright I usually just post pens on the pen site I belong to and I originally joined here to show bowls and other stuff. Unfortunately I am a pen addict and hardly ever seem to turn any thing else. Here are some of the pens I have made lately just so you guys dont think my lathe died.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-23-2006, 11:22 AM
Boy, those are really nice!

What is the blackish one with all the curvy lines?

SWEET!! :D

John Hart
04-23-2006, 11:23 AM
Beautifully done Mike! Conservative, elegant, and detailed. Great pics too.:)

Ken Fitzgerald
04-23-2006, 11:25 AM
Mike.........I can see you've got quite an addiction! If I was that good I'd be hooked too! Nice...very nice pens!

Mike Vickery
04-23-2006, 11:30 AM
Boy, those are really nice!

What is the blackish one with all the curvy lines?

SWEET!! :D

That is a Craft Supplies USA resin blank that called Tobacco swirl. It is only the second resin I have ever done, but I love that style blank. The suppliers have come out with alot of great looking resin lately and I have decided to try to do more. Partly because I want to try to use tap and die to do my own threading for the caps and other parts. Not sure how well it will work yet.

Bob Noles
04-23-2006, 12:19 PM
Mike....

WOW.... those look fantastic! I too have gotten into a pen rut and I am having a hard time trying other things as I love pens so much. They are such fun to make and allow release of creativity.

Can you tell me a little more about the first fountain pen. That thing is awesome!

Bruce Shiverdecker
04-23-2006, 12:21 PM
Mike, I, too, do a lot of pens. All wooden. While I have seen more intricate designs, I prefer what you have done.

The clean, subtle way you used the inlays make them elegant, unlike some of the other treatments I've seen that are just gaudy!

Outstanding work.

Bruce

Corey Hallagan
04-23-2006, 12:23 PM
Nice work Mike, I love the closed ends. Really beautiful work and the center bands are really great. Keep posting them. I too am pretty much a pen nut and that is the main reason I got a mini lathe. Everything else is really secondary to the pen for me.

Corey

Bernie Weishapl
04-23-2006, 12:25 PM
Mike those are some mighty fine looking pens. I really like the clean subtle lines in them. Nice work Mike.

David Fried
04-23-2006, 12:51 PM
I'm going with John Hart's comments. I like well done, clean pens that let the wood speak for itself. Great job.

The first pen reminds me of plans I have somewhere for a pen for a friend who has an antique woody. I should pull them out and get 'r done! Thanks!!

Keith Burns
04-23-2006, 1:03 PM
Excellent pens Mike. Very well executed. Subtle elagance:) :)

Mike Vickery
04-23-2006, 1:06 PM
Can you tell me a little more about the first fountain pen. That thing is awesome!

That was my first attemp at a large segmented fountain pen. Before that I had most done CSU Americana Rollerballs.

The kit is a Berea El toro platinum fountain pen. I am not sure if you can see it unless you look at the larger picture but the side panels are done in a double herringbone pattern in Morado. The pen is made from Morado and maple and all the veneers and segments were cut on my tablesaw.

Blake McCully
04-23-2006, 1:19 PM
Well shoot. Here I was about to throw up some pen pics, then along comes Mike:( . Absolutely great Mike. I love the innovative use of wood instead of the standard hardware that comes with the kits. I haven't even tried to be that innovative. Reminds me alot of Richard K. and some of his work.

Truly magnificent work.

BTW, are you a member of the Penmakers Guild?

Mike Vickery
04-23-2006, 1:43 PM
Reminds me alot of Richard K. and some of his work.
BTW, are you a member of the Penmakers Guild?

I am familiar with Richards work and I have "borrowed" some of his designs. I steal a lot more from Mark and Brain Gisi and especaially Russ Fairfield who are all PMG members.

I am not a PMG member but will probably apply some day.

Thanks for all the kind words everyone.

Frank Fusco
04-23-2006, 1:43 PM
Very fine work. Do you use a pin chuck?

Corey Hallagan
04-23-2006, 2:10 PM
Mike, I think that rosewood closed end is my favorite! Very, very nice! What wood is that band on the short barrell?

Corey

Mike Vickery
04-23-2006, 3:15 PM
Very fine work. Do you use a pin chuck?

Usually I use a pin chuck. The El Toro is a new kit for me but I had a pin chuck that fit the body. None of mine are big enough for the cap so I made a jam chuck by taking a 3/8 drill rod glueing it into a piece of maple and turning down the maple to the the inside diameter of that tube.

Ernie Nyvall
04-23-2006, 10:05 PM
Mike, those are really nice pens.I'd love to be able to turn some out like that.

Ernie

Mike Vickery
04-24-2006, 11:40 AM
Mike, I think that rosewood closed end is my favorite! Very, very nice! What wood is that band on the short barrell?

Corey

Sorry I missed this one earlier the bands on the Rosewood pen (4th pic) is Maple burl.

The kits and wood for a ll of the pics are

Pic 1 Morado and Maple on a Berea El Toro
Pic 2 Morado and Maple on a Berea El Grande
Pic 3 Tobbao swirl celluloid on a Berea El Toro
Pic 4 Rosewood and Maple Burls on a CSU Americana Rollerball (snap cap)