PDA

View Full Version : Veritas Sharpening System

Gary Keedwell
04-23-2006, 11:01 AM
Hello Creekers~

I have had the original Veritas Sharpening System for quite awhile and decided that I need to make a change. I just don't like it. Has anybody out there come to the same conclusion? The other day I ordered the Mk.11, and can't wait for it's arrival. Any comments about the two systems?

Gary K.

Joe Unni
04-23-2006, 11:19 AM
Gary,

The difference is apples and oranges. The MK11 is soooo much better.

Good luck,
-joe

John Miliunas
04-23-2006, 11:36 AM
Ditto to what Joe said! Much larger wheel, making it a lot more stable. The indexing gauge allows you to set the angles in a truly repeatable way and puts the blade square to the jig which, subsequently puts you square to your sharpening media, whether it be stones or Scary Sharp. I haven't touched my original Veritas jig since getting the MK.II! :) :cool:

Tyler Howell
04-23-2006, 11:58 AM
Hey Gary
Check out this thread from Charlie Kocourek.
He can make the MK11 do some real fancy tricks.;)

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=33218

Mike Wenzloff
04-23-2006, 11:59 AM
And the skew angle registration jig has just been released, making plane and chisel skews much easier to set.

The MK.II is a very good honing guide.

Take care, Mike
who is also awaiting the soon to be released cambered roller...

Gary Keedwell
04-23-2006, 12:24 PM
Check out the new June Fine Woodworking Mag. It's got a good article on Scary Sharp using the Mk.11 Honing guide. He uses a quality sandpaper from 3M. It's called microfinishing sheet abrasives. The grits on this product are more uniform in size, which means you are less likely to get unwanted deeper scratches from an occasional grit in your paper. I ordered a sample order the other day too. Can't wait. I love a perfectly honed chisel!!!

Gary K.

David Eisenhauer
04-23-2006, 12:44 PM
Brent Harral just posted a review on this gizmo this morning over at Wood Works Live. Good review.

Gary Keedwell
04-23-2006, 1:22 PM
David~ do you have that link? I cannot find it.

Gary K.

Gary Keedwell
04-26-2006, 11:44 AM
[quote=Joe Unni]Gary,

The difference is apples and oranges. The MK11 is soooo much better.

Good luck,
-joe[/quote I just received my Mk11 today and to say I'm impressed is an understatment!!! What a difference. Does anybody know someone who wants to buy the original veritas sharpening system? I've got one cheap!

Gary K.