PDA

View Full Version : Oliver lathe...update #1

Steve Ash
04-23-2006, 8:38 AM
As the restoration process on the Oliver 159 continues, I have update #1.

For those who missed the original thread here it is.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=35225

This morning I got up bright and early and started on some more of the paint/crud removal. I first started off with the tool rest base and various tool rests and then moved on to the pulley/motor guard. This machine appears to have been painted more than once and at some point in it's life there is evidence that it was white. I get through the first green layer, then find white, and the original of course which is green.

I promised my wife to help her in the flower gardens since she isn't able to after having surgery on her hand a few weeks ago, so this may be all I get done today unless she determines I was a good lawn boy and lets me go play some more. :D

Ernie Nyvall
04-23-2006, 8:59 AM
Looking good Steve. Those tool rests look to be in real good shape.

Ernie

Clem Wixted
04-23-2006, 9:18 AM
Hi Steve,

How are you getting down to the metal? Are you using chemical or mechanical methods?

I have some rusty and paint chipped tools I've picked up over the years and am thinking of restoring them, and am interested in how you are doing it.

Happy gardening! :)

Clem

Bernie Weishapl
04-23-2006, 9:44 AM
Looks great Steve. You are going to have a nice machine when done. I was going to turn this morning but have been told to help with the yard work also. Looks like you are having fun.

Jeff Horton
04-23-2006, 9:56 AM
I have some rusty and paint chipped tools I've picked up over the years and am thinking of restoring them, and am interested in how you are doing it.

Clem

Not sure what Steve is doing but read up on electrolysis. Cheap and easy.

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/rust/electrolytic_derusting.htm

John Miliunas
04-23-2006, 11:31 AM
I, for one, will be watching this process closely!!! Having seen what you did with an old Chevelle, I can only imagine what this old Olly will turn out like!!! :D Hmmmm....That pulley/motor guard looks to be a great candidate for sending out to the plating shop, don't it??? :D Maybe powdercoat the bodies of the tool rests??? Some wide mags, custom intake and headers would make that puppy screeeeeeeam! :D How about a Hurst shifter for the speed control??? :) OK, maybe a bit overkill but, I do expect to see some pinstriping on that bad boy!!! :D Good luck with it, Steve and I'll be looking forward to progress threads on this! :) :cool:

George Conklin
04-23-2006, 12:30 PM
This is just icing on the cake for this forum!!!
Being an old motor head myself and doing a couple "attempted":rolleyes: resto's, this is definitely eye candy to me.

Thanks for posting, Steve.

Pat Salter
04-23-2006, 12:47 PM
another step closer.

I am DEFFINATELY going to try that derusting thingamajig Jeff:D

Keith Burns
04-23-2006, 1:05 PM
Steve I can't wait to see it completed:)

Karl Laustrup
04-23-2006, 6:25 PM
I do believe you should be going about this a wee bit faster. Time is running short. You have a lot of work cleaning, prepping, painting etc. I'll let you choose the color. It's about six weeks ya know.

Karl

Steve Ash
04-23-2006, 6:55 PM
I do believe you should be going about this a wee bit faster. Time is running short. You have a lot of work cleaning, prepping, painting etc. I'll let you choose the color. It's about six weeks ya know.

Karl

Karl, you are right...be prepared for update #2 very shortly.....

Clem, I have a neighbor who professionally strips metal, I used his services a bit when doing my Chevelle SS restoration as well as a tractor part or two.
I use a DeWalt grinder with various sanding grits, a scraper, or else plain old sandpaper and lots of elbow grease.

This lathe project is cleaning up real well using the sanding disks and elbow grease so I'll pass on the neighbors services this time.

Pete Jordan
04-23-2006, 6:57 PM
Since it rained here today I'd thought that you would be about done.:D

Steve Ash
04-23-2006, 7:00 PM
Since it rained here today I'd thought that you would be about done.:D

Yard work this morning Pete, then went to Barnes and Noble to find a good book on turning, took the Mrs. to that famous chinese restaurant in Grand Ledge and then started on the next phase of the restoration....

Clem Wixted
04-23-2006, 7:10 PM
Not sure what Steve is doing but read up on electrolysis. Cheap and easy.

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/rust/electrolytic_derusting.htm

I'll give this a try. Simple enough.

Clem

Clem Wixted
04-23-2006, 7:16 PM
[QUOTE=Steve Ash]
Clem, ...lots of elbow grease.

QUOTE]

Thanks, Steve.

Do you get your "elbow grease" in bulk and replace it when you run out? :)

Clem

Frank Chaffee
04-23-2006, 7:21 PM
I use a DeWalt grinder with various sanding grits, a scraper, or else plain old sandpaper and lots of elbow grease.
What Steve,
No wire brush???
It can not only reach into crevasses, but can burnish surfaces that have been sanded, thereby alleviating the need for finer grits of paper.
Frank

John Miliunas
04-23-2006, 7:27 PM
Hey Steve, here's an idea for the smaller pieces: Build yourself a simple wooden box about 1.5' x 3' and fill it half full with silica sand. Make a top for it, hinge it and put a tight hasp on it. Stick the whole thing in the trunk of the SS. Throw your parts in there and go for a "ride". Take Judy for a ride. Run throught the gears a few times. Go to the hardware store. Oh, anything... By the time you get home, clean parts! :D :cool:

Steve Ash
04-23-2006, 8:23 PM
What Steve,
No wire brush???
It can not only reach into crevasses, but can burnish surfaces that have been sanded, thereby alleviating the need for finer grits of paper.
Frank

Frank, I guess I failed to mention a wire brush. I ran out to the shop to snap a picture of what I used.

Corey Hallagan
04-23-2006, 8:25 PM
Steve, your making great prospect, I suspect it won't be long before we are viewing the resto'd lather in all it's glory!!

Corey