PDA

View Full Version : Kreg Pocket Jig

Randy Cox
04-22-2006, 10:13 PM
Looking into trying one of these. Which one would be a good one start with? I don't need one for production. Just something for building shop cabinets and such. Thanks

Randy

Mark Rios
04-22-2006, 10:50 PM
Randy, I really like my K3 Master Kit. It has everything that I need to the job. I didn't really give much thought to the dust collection part of the kit at first. However, there were a few posts talking (and showing) about how some of the folks here had rigged their kit up with DC. So, while working on my second set of cabs with it, I went ahead and made a base for it and added a couple of accessories from HD and mounted the DC parts. BOY, WHAT A DIFFERENCE! The holes cut faster and cleaner, enough for even this amateur to notice.

I also noticed that the drill guide in the K3 has the metal sleeves that go down the full length of the jig. I'm not sure how many of the other/older jigs have the full length sleeves but I also just bought the Rocket Kit and it does NOT have full length sleeves. I'm not too happy about that but I'll get over it. I did notice the difference though.

Joe Unni
04-23-2006, 9:15 AM
Randy,

I've got the older K2000 and love it. But if you're going to build shop cabinets (i.e. join the box together with pocket screw), get 1 or 2 of the right angle clamps. Not sure if you've seen them, but one leg of the clamp has a pad and the other leg has a peg that fits into the pocket hole and enables you to hold the joint at a right angle. Though you don't NEED them to join cabinet sides, it sure make the job faster and easier.

Good luck,
-joe

Jim Becker
04-23-2006, 10:12 AM
I do have the pocket jig and find it useful occasionally when I need to put a pocket hole in an awkward place, but the "full" jig is a lot easier to use and a better investment long-term...and it comes with the "pocket rocket" in the kit for those special times when it's the right tool for the job.

frank shic
04-23-2006, 10:15 AM
randy, if you want to test the waters cautiously, the older k2000 or the new k3 standard jig are great starting points. i bought the master set but i really don't use the rocket or the single drill jig that much.

Mark Pruitt
04-23-2006, 10:26 AM
I say dive in and go with the K3 Master set! Nice tool. If you're like me, you'll discover uses for it that you had not previously thought about.