PDA

View Full Version : Question about my chatter tool!

Jonathon Spafford
04-22-2006, 9:46 PM
I got a Robert Sorby Chatter tool... I have used another kind before (those kinds with the black handles) and I was able to make some nice chatter work. I am right now having a frustrating time with my Sorby because it digs in and wants to go all over the place instead of making a smooth cut... what could be wrong? I have played with different cutter lengths, I am cutting at seven o'clock, can't think what I am doing wrong... anybody got some ideas??

Jonathon

Dick Parr
04-23-2006, 2:10 AM
Jonathon, do you have the tool rest about center? It needs to be with the rest a little ways back from the end of the wood. I position the tool in the middle of the tool rest and don't really move it, I kind of ark it from center to the left side.

I have also notice that by taking a diamond file to the burr on the end of the chatter tool, it almost eliminates the tool from digging in to much. It doesn't take much to remove the burr.

Good luck and let us know if that helps.

John Hart
04-23-2006, 6:21 AM
I can't speak to the problem you're having because I've not tried using a chatter tool yet, but there was a guy on TV a couple of weeks ago that demonstrated his homemade chatter tool using a short length of bandsaw blade, mounted in a small tube. He ground a tip on the end of the blade strip and then secured it in the tube with a set screw. The distance from the set screw determined the pattern because the blade would oscillate at different frequencies, depending on that length.

The guy was a master....his patterns were awesome. I'm sure I'd just make a gnarly mess!

Ernie Nyvall
04-23-2006, 8:37 AM
I can't speak to the problem you're having because I've not tried using a chatter tool yet, but there was a guy on TV a couple of weeks ago that demonstrated his homemade chatter tool using a short length of bandsaw blade, mounted in a small tube. He ground a tip on the end of the blade strip and then secured it in the tube with a set screw. The distance from the set screw determined the pattern because the blade would oscillate at different frequencies, depending on that length.

The guy was a master....his patterns were awesome. I'm sure I'd just make a gnarly mess!

Wish I'd seen that. I do have some old bandsaw blades. They hang there next to the bandsaw to sort of tell me " don't do THAT again".:o

Ernie

Jim Becker
04-23-2006, 10:24 AM
Remember...chatter tools are designed to work on end-grain and are not really friendly with anything else. Use them to decorate the ends of boxes and other such items turned in that format. Texturing of face-plate turnings while spinning the work is better done with a "wheel-type" texturing tool...unfortunately, those are expensive.

Jonathon Spafford
04-24-2006, 12:19 AM
I think my technic is correct... again, I have used one before and they are really easy to use and make good patterns with. Oh yeah, I have heard about homade chatter tools and have seen some nifty ones (http://www.woodcentral.com/articles/turning/articles_398.shtml -- website in case anyone is interested in homade ones), but I gotta try mine tomorrow and see if I can get it to work. I have heard that you cut down at seven o'clock... is this better than cutting from center to left???

Jonathon