PDA

View Full Version : Festool and EZ Smart owners, just need track info.

M. A. Espinoza
04-22-2006, 6:00 PM
EZ and Festool camps, stay in your corners.

I'm just looking for some measurements of the guide tracks from these systems.

I picked up a Worx saw and it has a groove in the base that is 3 5/8" to the blade .625" wide by .240" deep. Does this match any existing guide rails?

Could any owners of these systems take a couple quick measurements and let me know if they might mate with this baseplate. Long shot, but maybe.

Thanks.

Steve Clardy
04-22-2006, 6:38 PM
EZ rail.
These are tape measurments, not caliper measurments.
3 1/6 to edge of rubber strip on track.
5/8 wide track, 3/16 tall

M. A. Espinoza
04-22-2006, 6:51 PM
EZ rail.
These are tape measurments, not caliper measurments.
3 1/6 to edge of rubber strip on track.
5/8 wide track, 3/16 tall

Close enough.

So it would track on the EZ without the special plate. Wonder if there might be some wider strip for the zero chip since its only about 1/2" over?

I'll check it out.

Steve Clardy
04-22-2006, 6:59 PM
Hmmm. I'm thinking, trying, of a way to make an offset insert, the insert that goes into the rail, to match the track in the saw.
Something similiar to an off set pulley, motor shaft key. Following me?

Dave Falkenstein
04-22-2006, 8:30 PM
There are two guide ribs on the top of the Festool rails. The ribs are each 5/8 wide and 9/32 high. The dimension from the left edge of the rail (which is also the left edge of the left rib) to the right edge of the right rib is 2-7/16. The dimension from the left edge of the left rib to the right edge of the guide rail (where the rubber strip ends) is 7-5/16. I took these measurements with a tape, so consider them approximate. I think that attaching your Worx saw to the guide rail would need a way to adjust the saw slot width so it fits snugly onto the rail with no side-to-side play. I hope this information helps you.

M. A. Espinoza
04-22-2006, 9:21 PM
Dave,

Thanks for the info.

Sound like the EZ track is very close as-is. Saw would run but no anti-chip. If I get the time I may check McMaster Carr to see if there is any kind of weatherstrip or something that I could insert into an EZ to get the extra 1/2".

As it is right now I think I'm going to make a shooting board with a rail to fit the Worx. Thats about 95 percent of how I use a circular saw anyway and it'll be nice not having to worry about it wandering away from the guide.

This is a nice feature they built into this saw that I was unaware of until messing around with it. Can't believe they even have the adjusters there but apparently no factory guide.

Must have been something that made it late into development but never production.