PDA

View Full Version : Waiting for my new lathe

Chuck Beland
04-22-2006, 5:16 PM
:D Well waiting for my new Jet mini lathe to come in I can't wait. I hope to be murdering some wood very soon & I won't take any survivors. LOL

Chuck

Bob Noles
04-22-2006, 5:29 PM
Well.... we got another one boys :D

Welcome to the vortex of Doom Chuck. Did ya get the VS or standard?

Corey Hallagan
04-22-2006, 6:28 PM
Your getting a great lathe! Congrats and Enjoy!

Corey

Chuck Beland
04-22-2006, 7:08 PM
LOML went with her sister to a conference for 4 days for work.
(They work at Providence College) inside Disneyland Florida Not to bad HUH. then went to visit their brother for 4 days while she was gone I had to pull up a carpet & vinyl floor in the hallway that out puppy is helping with the demo. then put in laminate floor. She wanted a new vanity
(with a drawer in the bottom) in the bathroom but our plumbing comes directly from the basement through the floor to the sink with a lead trap. I had to cut all the water & waste lines reroute everything got the copper all soldered & a friend who is a Master Plumber cut the waste lines & put in new PVC. She came home on our 23rd Anniversary & found out when she got home what I did for our Anniversary & I told her I want my lathe for my gift. LOL well just ordered my Jet mini (non VS). I just missed the sale they had for the VS model. CRAP!!!:mad:

Hopefully this X mas I'll get either a Jet 1236 or a 1442 model.

Does anybody have any good plans for a workbench for my lathe?

Tell me what is that black tornado that has my wallet & won't give it back? Will I ever see it again?

Chuck

Bernie Weishapl
04-22-2006, 7:15 PM
Welcome to the abyss Chuck. Join the rest of us newbie's. That black tornado is the vortex at it finest working on the wallet. :eek: :D

Bob Noles
04-22-2006, 8:14 PM
Chuck,

A lot of good lathe benches floating around and you may want to do a search of SMC threads to see some good samples.

Here is the one I built for my mini

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=33636

Jim Becker
04-22-2006, 9:47 PM
Chuck, you will not be "murdering" the wood...you'll be exposing its inner beauty and character!

John Hart
04-22-2006, 10:09 PM
Tell me what is that black tornado that has my wallet & won't give it back? Will I ever see it again?

umm......no. It's gone.;)

Ken Fitzgerald
04-22-2006, 11:25 PM
As John was referring.....the Vortex will suck the color of a dollar bill just before you lose your grip on it and it disappears!

Congrats! It's an addiction!

Chuck Beland
04-23-2006, 5:01 AM
umm......no. It's gone.;)

Oh well maybe i can quit smoking & have lathe as my new addiction. At least I'll get something out of it & just not a bad cough. LOL

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-23-2006, 6:34 AM
Oh well maybe i can quit smoking & have lathe as my new addiction. At least I'll get something out of it & just not a bad cough. LOL

You do that, and you will live longer, which will give you more of an excuse to get that bigger lathe! :D

Welcome to the Vortex!! :D

Bob Weisner
04-23-2006, 6:49 AM
When did you order it? I remember when I bought my Sears Craftsman 15 inch wood lathe , it took over 4 months to get it in stock:eek:

Jim Davenport
04-23-2006, 7:14 AM
Welcome to the wonderful world of turning. The Vortex is a devious entity. It will not only empty your wallet, and suck your pockets dry, but it will make time stand still for you. You'll be making beautilul long curly chips, glance at the clock, and discover that hours have passed.:eek:
You'll love the lathe.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-23-2006, 7:46 AM
Welcome to the wonderful world of turning. The Vortex is a devious entity. It will not only empty your wallet, and suck your pockets dry, but it will make time stand still for you. You'll be making beautilul long curly chips, glance at the clock, and discover that hours have passed.:eek:
You'll love the lathe.

I can confirm and validate Jim's theories!:D

Ernie Nyvall
04-23-2006, 9:31 AM

Chuck

Well no, but you can conjure up all kinds of reasons why it pays for itself that make you feeeeel better about it. Gifts for all special occasions if done with found (free) wood are at a virtual "no cost". Then there is an occasional gift to a loved one or a friend. So there is the tool you need and one that will make it faster etc., etc., etc. Hmm... I think I've made myself feel better already... where's that catalog? :rolleyes:

Oh yea, welcome.

Ernie

Chuck Beland
04-23-2006, 10:38 AM
When did you order it? I remember when I bought my Sears Craftsman 15 inch wood lathe , it took over 4 months to get it in stock:eek:

Bob,
I ordered it last Sunday time from ordering it to expected delivery is
2 weeks. I ordered it from Amazon.

Guy's thank you very much for the welcome. Oh well who needs a wallet anyway right. LOL

Stu,
I saw some of the things some of the guy's made from the wood you sent John. I love the color & the grain. BEAUTIFUL WOOD. I think they did a great job at finding out what the wood wanted to be.

Chuck Beland
04-24-2006, 7:23 PM
well It took a whole 2 weeks to get my new toy It came in today.
I'm so psyched. LOL

Ernie Nyvall
04-24-2006, 7:27 PM
Lright Chuck. Good deal.

Ernie

Ken Fitzgerald
04-24-2006, 8:18 PM
Welll Chuck.........We'll talk with you in a couple of days! Enjoy that new lathe! Andy will somewhat like it as it's the right color at least!

Enjoy my friend............I know I sure do.........and you want to know something?.........I haven't had a cigarette since January 14th........and having a new consuming passion is, I'm sure, a big part of it! I can't afford cigarettes anymore!:eek: :D :D And glad of it, I might add!:)