PDA

View Full Version : Another new guy with questions!

Nick Englesby
04-22-2006, 5:15 PM
Hello everyone!

I discovered the creek a few months ago and im hooked. My day is not complete without spending some time reading the latest posts. I have not really made any "official" wood projects, just some stuff for our yard and house.

I have a few power tools, CMS, TS, Circular, Jig etc etc etc.

The problem is that I want to get bigger and better everything. This is where im asking for alot of advice from people who know.

I am new to woodworking but im not a complete newby. I have 8 years of CNC and manual machining in my past.

The first item I want to upgrade is the table saw. Current saw is an old Craftsman with little power and a very sad fence. What ive been looking at are the older Rockwell Unisaws 3hp/3phase. I like the heavy older stuff (I think).

I would like to know what the creekers thoughts are on buying a new saw vs and old Uni.

And some pics of my yard work, the trelis is overbuilt to the Nth degree. each post is 4 2x4x10s 3'in the ground with a bag of concrete each! Hey we get a lot of hurricanes here on the coast. My daughter and her sandbox and the projects all look better that farther away they are.

thanks for any advice in advance

as for my projects, my wife and daughter like them and I had to start somewhere!

Tyler Howell
04-22-2006, 5:21 PM
Welcome Nick.
They just don't make it like that any more!:(
So get what you want.
Caution on 3 phase. A doable task but it doesn't lend it self easily or cheaply to most shop environments. Good luck and keep reading.
I'm sure my fellow creekers with 3 ph. experience will chime in;).
PS picture police seal of approval.

Joe Chritz
04-22-2006, 5:24 PM
I would not have any problem with an old unisaw. They have been built right for many many years. If it doesn't have a really good fence be sure to add a few hundred for a decent fence. It will make or break a saw.

That said when time comes to upgrade to a cabinet saw I will most likely end up with a sawstop. Mostly for the safety feature but it appears to be a well built saw.

Joe

Steve Clardy
04-22-2006, 6:40 PM
Welcome Nick!!

John Renzetti
04-22-2006, 6:50 PM
Hi Nick, Welcome to SMC. I haven't been around much the last two months so I'm new also.
Installing a rotary phase converter to run all the 3ph machines in your shop is not that big a deal. I have two of them wired up and have been using one of them for 8 yrs.
With one RPC you could power your whole shop, depending on the capacity of the RPC. For instance with a Kay Phasemaster MA1 I ran two (actually 3, with the scoring motor running) 3ph motors at once that totalled. 12hp. Your initial outlay may cost you around $1k possibly less, but you'll make it up when you buy your next used 3ph machine. I say go for the older unisaw, and then add additional older 3ph machines as you find them.
take care,
John

Allen Bookout
04-22-2006, 8:06 PM
Welcome Nick! I cannot help with the three phase stuff so I will just say it is always nice to have another hurricane hunter here. The best thing about being a hurricane hunter is that you do not have to go hunting. Just sit still and wait to be pounded.

From Hurricane Charlie country. Allen

Alan Turner
04-22-2006, 8:19 PM
Welcome Nick. I am an old iron sort of guy, so I can relate. You won't go wrong with it if you are a careful buyer.

Bob Noles
04-22-2006, 8:45 PM
Welcome to the Creek Nick. Great pictures of your projects and little darling.

Look forward to swapping ideas and sharing knowledge with you.

Jeff Horton
04-22-2006, 8:48 PM
Oh man, now there are two of us now!! :cool:

Nick, welcome. I am fairly new here too. I have found this to be the most civil group on the internet and some very helpful people too.

As far as old iron, give me an old machine any day!! Today I started the restoration of 1946 DeWalt RAS. The arm on that thing alone weights more than many new machines made today! ;)

My next project is a sad looking but complete and very original 1946 Unisaw. So I might be prejudice but I think your making a good choice. Not sure why you want 3 phase? But if your careful and take your time you can find what your looking for.

Here is my next project after the DeWalt. (And there is more old iron waiting on me too.)

http://www.kudzupatch.com/woodshop/unisaw/before1.jpg

Nick Englesby
04-22-2006, 11:06 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Old iron is the winner!

Pics soon.

Nick Englesby
04-23-2006, 10:36 AM
This may be the first "older" addition to my shop er garage. Just 10 hours to go.