PDA

View Full Version : Chuck for new Jet Mini-lathe

robert cohen
04-22-2006, 4:51 PM
Hi all. I'm new to the forum and wood turning. I need a chuck for a Jet mini. I was thinking of the Supernova 2 or Talon.

Is the SN2 too heavy? Is one better? I like the jaws on the Talon better.

Any input? Thanks.

John Hart
04-22-2006, 5:05 PM
Welcome Robert!!!!:)
Glad to have you spinning around in the vortex with us.
I'm chuck-challenged...dunno...sorry.:o

Bob Noles
04-22-2006, 5:34 PM
Welcome to the dark side of SMC Robert.

The SN2 may be overkill for the mini unless you plan on upgrading in the future. If not, then I recommend this

http://www.woodchipshome.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=WC&Product_Code=48111&Category_Code=CHU

It is the one I got and is a very good chuck for smaller lathes.

Travis Stinson
04-22-2006, 6:13 PM
Welcome Robert. I just got a Jet mini and went with the Nova G3 chuck for it. This chuck just came out and was designed with mini lathes in mind. All the Super Nova jaws will work with it. Really like mine so far. http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=packard&Product_Code=113101&Category_Code=lathes-acc-fourjaw-ng3

Bob Noles
04-22-2006, 6:48 PM
Travis,

I didn't even know about this one and must say it appears to be a better model. Single key chucks are always a nicer feature. I may have to see about an exchange of some kind :D :eek:

Jonathon Spafford
04-22-2006, 7:01 PM
Hey, I got a Jet Mini and I have a Oneway Talon for it ... I like it! It is a stout chuck and plenty big enough for anything you can do on the jet-mini!!! I can't compare it to any other because this is my only chuck; but I think Jimmy Clewes really liked One-Way chucks soooooo....

Jonathon

Bernie Weishapl
04-22-2006, 7:17 PM
Robert I just got the Apprentice Chuck from Craft USA and it works well. For $160 and you get 4 jaws. For the money you can't beat it. I really like this one as before I had used the PSI utility chuck with the tommy bars.

Jim Ketron
04-22-2006, 7:36 PM
I started out with a Talon for my Jet Mini and switched it over to the PM 3520. just got my 2nd Talon (less changing of the jaws) Great Chuck with move up capabilities.
I also got to use Travis new Nova G3 Chuck, I would recommend it also.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-22-2006, 11:29 PM
I've got the SN2 on my Jet VS Mini. Works well!

Welcome to the Creek Robert!

robert cohen
04-23-2006, 4:20 AM
I was worried the SN2 would be too heavy. Does this matter?

Jim Davenport
04-23-2006, 7:23 AM
Another vote for the "Talon" I have one on my Rikon. also have an adaptor so it will fit the venerable shopsmith if I want to do larger stuff.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-23-2006, 7:44 AM
Robert.......Maybe there's some other turners out there with more experience than I but I don't thinks it's too heavy.:confused:

Frank Fusco
04-23-2006, 7:47 AM
I have the less expensive PSI GMC3 mini and consider the tommy bars a minor inconvenience. But I do like the difference in cost and the chuck is just fine, comes with four jaw sets. PSI now offers a couple more chucks since I bought mine. Grizzly has some new knock-offs too I have heard good things about. But check those out only if you like saving money. ;)

robert cohen
04-23-2006, 8:03 PM
I am afraid the lathe woould not have enough power to spin the chuck and wood. The SN2 weighs twice that of the Talon.

Blake McCully
04-23-2006, 8:10 PM
Robert,
I too, have a talon, two actually. You might also want to check out the Barracuda 2 from PSI, I understand it's a real nice chuck.

Just my $.02.