PDA

View Full Version : Glass Experts!

Byron Trantham
04-22-2006, 1:21 PM
I need to purchase some plate glass for shelves. They will be about 32" long and 11 1/2" deep. How thick do they need to be? I suspect the client will be putting nick knacks on them - nothing too heavy. Thanks.

Bob Swenson
04-22-2006, 2:05 PM
Byron-
We use 1/4 inch
Bob

Steve Clardy
04-22-2006, 2:11 PM
As above, usually 1/4"

Jamie Buxton
04-22-2006, 2:13 PM
Are the shelves supported only at the ends? That is, the span between supports is 32"? I've used 3/8" for knick-knacks in that situation.

Reg Mitchell
04-22-2006, 6:18 PM
Byron,
It really is according to what you are going to sit on the glass. 1/4 is good for things light. 3/8 for heaver things. If you do get which ever make sure they flat grind and seam it. If you want a really nice front edge have them to polish it. That can get sort pricie according if they dimond wheel it or do it the ,what i consider a nicer look, with cork belts. Also If it is fitting an area make a luon (spell) pattern. Its pricy if you have to take it back to have it ground. 1/16 of an inch in wood is a snap. 1/16 of an inch in glass, especially thicker, is a pain in the a$$ :D

Mike Tempel
04-22-2006, 7:05 PM
I have used 3/8" for almost the same application before. I had them put a polished edge on it for the front side - pretty much like using a bullnose bit. I supported it with brass pins on each side and for the application it looks great - I am glad that I spent the extra money for the peace of mind. I can't imagine having the top piece break and crashing through the bottom two glass shelves as well.

Frank Fusco
04-22-2006, 7:50 PM
I made two sets of shelves for my wife's bell collection. The shelves are 6"X48", center supported on the front only. The glass place used 1/4" special stuff, not window glass. A total of six shelves at about $9.00 per, pretty costly IMHO. Seems plenty strong though.