PDA

View Full Version : Wader's Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
08-25-2003, 11:09 AM
Well....another weekend has come and gone. Please share with us what you did over the weekend and what projects you have started or finished or just are simply stuck in the middle of that project.

I got very little shop time this weekend. I was able to get the LOML's benches finished and moved those into the house this morning. Now we can get rid of 4 folding chairs that look like they moved over on the Mayflower and I can get that custom CD Cabinet started that this customer has been after me to build for weeks now.

Best of weeks.....

Jim Becker
08-25-2003, 11:17 AM
For the first time in two months, we actually have a "fully functional" kitchen, albeit with a lot of work remaining. The final base unit went in (and it fit... :D ) as well as the dishdrawers and sink. A temporary counter surface is in place until the soapstone can be installed in a couple of weeks and I've moved on to the finish carpentry and wainscott installation. It's also back to the shop to complete the remaining cabinet doors and two pull-out spice racks similar (although smaller) to Byron's for the end of the "ell" cabinet.

Unfortuantely, all this remaining work is limited to weekends and a few hours here and there during the week...the "real job" takes its toll on quality shop time!

The weather here this weekend was wonderful. It was cool enough and with low enough humidity to open all the windows and let some natural air blow through.

Scott Coffelt
08-25-2003, 11:19 AM
Friday night went to the local outdoor concert venue to see Sammy Haggar and the Waboritas, Micheal Anthony and Montrose. One heck of a party.

Saturday, worked on finishing some last minute things on the inwall stereo cabinet. Put a couple of coats of black laquer on it Sunday. Need to do some wiring on it this week and get the glass ordered. Final coat of paint on the outside (part that is hidden in the way, that will be seen in the basement).

Watched some college football Saturday night. Go Cats! Offense looked great, but the defense looked young like they are.

Watering ban started this weekend, so watched my lawn start to brown. Sure hope we get some rain soon.

Mike Schwing
08-25-2003, 11:27 AM
For some unknown reason I went down into the shop and returned later with 4 nicely tapered Shaker style legs for a hall table, made out of Antique American Chestnut, as well as a tabletop thats still 5/4 thick after glue up and planing. I really don't know what got into me! I resawed a couple of the boards for bookmatched aprons (too bad you can only see one side at a time), and now all I need to do is use the square hole maker on the legs.

I do have one issue though - some of the sawing into tapers went as deep as to remove any/all worm holes on the legs. It'd look nice if I could remake them in key areas. Any ideas aside from using worms?

Keith Starosta
08-25-2003, 12:22 PM
I had a few good hours in the shop on Saturday. I made a new auxilary fence for the table saw that works great! I took some of the black walnut I had and started milling it down to dimension for my next project. I have definitely made the decision that I am not buying one more tool until I get some sort of DC system into the garage. I've read all about it, and the benefits from the health and cleanliness aspects, but I had it droven home pretty well when I was still blowing walnut dust out of my nose a few hours after leaving the shop. I've got to get the corporate CFO to bust open the books and pry away a couple hundred to take care of business.

Noah Alkinburgh
08-25-2003, 1:14 PM
Wow what a shocker I didn't work on the patio this weekend. This should be called, "What I didn't do this weekend...again" Actually my son was very sick and we didn't know if he was going to be in the hospital or not so I didn't want to rent the plate compactor. (He is doing better and did not end up going, but was at the doctor's everyday but Sunday since Thursday morning.)

I did however get to spend some time with my wife (when she wasn't at the docs) working on the kids sandbox. We got it all done except on side of the roof and the shingles. I learned several important things while working on this project which I will share in a post when I have some pictures of the finished project.

I got about 10 minutes on the lathe Saturday morning and finished turning a small cherry confetti lamp. I will get pics of that at some point to. All in all I spent some real nice time with my wife and it was a fairly decent weekend.

Noah

Bob Lasley
08-25-2003, 1:51 PM
I actually got quite a bit of shop time this weekend and completed the knockdown bookcase except for applying finish. Saturday evening we traveled an hour or so to visit friends for dinner. He happens to be a woodworker so we spent some time in his shop. Frank was in the process of finishing a beautiful little table with a solid redwood burl top. That was one gorgeous hunk of wood and of course I hadn't brought the camera. :(

Have a great week all,
Bob

Tom Sweeney
08-25-2003, 1:53 PM
But I did get a lot of deferred yard work done. I have an overgrown section in back yard and every year it creaps closer to my house - no lie the thing moves. Anyway it had gotten real bad as did most of the trimming work around the property. I've been able to keep up with the regular mowing OK - but the weedwacking & stuff has been let go. So now it looks halfway respectable - & I didn't even get poison Ivy for the first time ever :D

Did some more work on my old work truck - it's ready for inspection & barring any unforseen issues I'll have it back on the road next week - there are a few nice logs laying around with my name on them that I need my truck to pick up.

I did do a little bit of turning & I looked at my 2 half completed projects that I've had laying on my TS outfeed table for a couple of months now :(

Took LOML out for a nice dinner on Friday - but that was 2 weeks in a row so now she's wondering what's up & what tool I'm going to try to get the OK for now - honest I was just being a nice husband, no ulterior motives at all :confused:

I really, really need to get my shop cleaned & organized - I can hardly stand to look at it -let alone work in it. Going down to the bay(Chesapeake) on Thursday for the long weekend - so it will have to wait some more.

Everyone have a good week.

Sorry to hear about your son, Noah - glad he's gettin better. BTW we might still be alive on the county park wood - I'll let you know

Jim Baker
08-25-2003, 6:45 PM
I worked some more on my set of upper display cabinets, mostly drilling holes for the shelf pins, and cutting out and edge banding the shelves. They are ready for thee finishing department (LOML) now.