PDA

View Full Version : The Tale of Two Lathes....

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-22-2006, 2:31 AM
OK, I've got a real problem here :rolleyes:

You know I've shown you all two larger Japanese lathes,

The first one is the one I showed you guys the other day....
This lathe is on auction now for about $300, 7 hours left.

Then there is this one, at $1400, I think it is a touch over priced, but I also think it is a better lathe than the one above, it has the outboard turning option (which I don't know if I'd every use...?) and it looks like a better unit..?

The thing for me is cost, if the first lathe stays under my self imposed $600 limit, it might be the one to get, the second one has fallen in price from the $2500 start to just about $1400, but it has not moved from that point for about a month.

Both are 3-phase

Both have MT#3

The second lathe has a 34mm thick spindle and what looks like a 8 tpi thread (a buddy has this lathe at his school, he measured it).

The first lathe has an unknown thread size.

The thing is, I just sold a bike, I got $3000+ for it, about $1000 of that has to go to a few things around the house, but the other $2000 is mine to use, the MOF even signed off on this.

She says I should just buy the better more expensive one for $1400, but do I really need this, and if the first lathe stays cheap, like $600, is the other lathe really worth another $800....?

The first lathe is close, less than an hour drive, no toll highways, the second lathe is about a 4 hour drive, which would cost me about $200 in tolls and gas, or about $150 in shipping.....

What I save in buying the cheaper lathe will more easily go towards chucks, tools etc.

The other option would be to go for a new Delta.....

$1200 (46-715)

But in a way, it seems like cheating ;)

Well, as always, I'm looking for your opinions here, not that I think any of you will be too shy to give them :D

Vaughn McMillan
04-22-2006, 3:02 AM
If it were me, I'd go with lathe #1, buy a bunch o' tools to go with, and save the driving time for doing something more constructive. But that's just me, and I'm only looking at pics. It may be a whole other story if I were seeing the lathes in person or knew more of the specs. (And of course, what I know about lathes could be written on a grain of rice. Not that short Japanese stuff, but a grain of rice nonetheless.) :)

- Vaughn

Barry Stratton
04-22-2006, 3:52 AM
I'm stuck on ".......but the other $2000 is mine to use, the MOF even signed off on this. She says I should just buy the better more expensive one for $1400......"

The first one is "cheap" and close. The second is more expensive and farther away. The Delta is new. The wife has blessed the purchase. I'd go with #2 for the outboard capabilities or the Delta for "ease" in getting accessories to fit it. But I'm a rookie so I know nothing.

I do know your wife is one heck of a lady!!!!!

04-22-2006, 4:10 AM
I do know your wife is one heck of a lady!!!!!
You sir are exactly right on that point :)

The thing is, about the bike, I bought the bike with a bad engine, for $1500, I bought a good motor from a crashed bike, $200. With the bike, came a whole ton of high end race bits, I've sold about half of those bits, total over $2000 from selling bits, still have more bits to sell as well, including some pricy bits like mag racing wheels, racing under cowl, etc. Oh yeah, there was a new, in the box pair of racing boots, my size, those are worth $300 new, and I needed a pair:)

So, I put $1700 into the bike, plus maybe another $100 in sundry items, so $1800, and some of my time swapping engines. Sold some stuff from the bike for over $2000. Rode the bike for almost two years, the bike, as it stood, cost me -$200 :D

I just sold it for $3000, and I have all them bits left to sell, so, you can see how she understands that this is not money out of the family budget, in fact, she was pleased that I was willing to kick $1000 into the family budget, just to loosen thing up a tad, thus, she has no problem with me using the $2000 for a lathe or such.

She figures she'd rather have me down in the Dungeon than out of the mountain roads on a motorcycle.

Got one more bike to sell too!

Cheers!

John Hart
04-22-2006, 6:48 AM
Here's my two cents Stu.

I've found that a rotating headstock is valuable. I've not done any outboard turning because of size, but I rotate to the outside about 45 degrees to get a better approach to bowls and hollowforms.

I wonder about horsepower. The cheaper lathe appears to be greater horsepower....but I can't tell. I'm just guessing, but the Delta might be comparable HP to the others?

Accessorizing....The Delta is probably easier to obtain all the extra goodies.

So...I vote for the Delta...based on warranty, Headstock, HP maybe, and accessories...'specially since your budget allows it.

04-22-2006, 6:52 AM
I just had this discussion with the MOF, and she seems happy with anything I want to do (quick pinch me!:eek:).

The thing is, after reading up on that Delta, many are saying it is a beginner lathe.

I really want to buy one more lathe, know what I mean?

If I can get the Fujikyu for under $600, that is what I'm going to do, if not, I'll keep looking the Delta will always be there, and the other older lathe seems to not be selling at all.

36 minutes left on the auction, I'm waiting to the last 10 minutes to bid.

I'm not sniping either, here, if someone bids within the last 10 minutes of the auction, the clock is set back to 10 minutes, so there is no sniping.

I've seen auctions on some stuff go for two hours past the original ending time.

Wish me luck!

Cheers!

John Hart
04-22-2006, 6:57 AM
Good luck Stu. We're counting on you.~ Leslie Neilson~Airplane!

04-22-2006, 7:09 AM
19 minutes left......

should just bid and be done with it...?:(

04-22-2006, 7:27 AM
Well it has gone to $700....:(

I don't think it is worht that.

Oh well, I guess I'll just get some bowl gouges etc and stick the C-man lathe.

Cheers!

John Hart
04-22-2006, 7:28 AM
Are you allowed to under bid on the other one? Say maybe $600 and see what happens?

Ed Lang
04-22-2006, 7:32 AM
We need an update:D

My fingers are getting a cramp crossing them for you!

04-22-2006, 7:48 AM
Sold for 71,000 yen, I don't think it is worth that, too many unknowns, the spindle size etc.

A dealer bought it, so he must think it is worth more, or, have a customer lined up for it.

Oh well, put the money away, and wait some more.

Well, I'm going to buy some tools :D

Cheers, and thanks for the good thoughts!

Jeff Horton
04-22-2006, 9:16 AM
Glad to someone being smart with their money Stu! I liked the #1 lathe best too. But like you there were a lot of unknowns. I think you are smart to just wait and see what comes along. I had a chance to buy a used Delta like that one and I didn't like what I read about them so I passed on it. It was dirt cheap too.

I have been looking for an 8" jointer in my area for some time now. Finally decided I could live with a 6" and started watching for one. Just this week one appeared that I want. There are lots of people asking the seller questions and no one has bid on it yet. That tells me that there are some smart and serious bidders waiting till the last. Sure makes me nervous because I really want it! But like you I am not going to overpay just because I want it.

Bernie Weishapl
04-22-2006, 9:52 AM
Stu for what it is worth from a new turner as myself I would probably opt for the Delta. You have a warranty and I believe it would be easier to get goodies for it. Chucks, faceplates, and having a MT2 is a lot easier to find. I have outboard turned one bowl and that is a nice option to have. Stu just my $1.298.

Dennis Peacock
04-22-2006, 10:30 AM
Save your pennies and order you a PM3520B. :rolleyes: :D :D

You won't regret owning a PM 3520 model lathe and you won't need to buy another one....in my life time. :eek: :D

Jim Becker
04-22-2006, 10:47 AM
I kinda agree with Dennis in spirit...invest in a lathe that you'll not want to replace, be it a PM3520B or something equally "spirited". I know that the pricing is higher for you than state-side, but even so, it's worth saving up what you need for the machine that will satisfy. So many of the used machines you'll come up on were really designed as spindle lathes, too. Think about what you want to turn and buy the machine that is suitable. That may mean a short-bed lathe designed primarily for bowl and vessel work, for example...the reason I own a Stubby.

Paul Douglass
04-22-2006, 10:56 AM
Sorry you missed it Stu, but there is always a reason. I personally would go with one that you have all the info on. Jet or Delta in that peice range. The only problem, how much does it cost to get one sent over there or can you get one locally?

Ed Lang
04-22-2006, 5:11 PM
Stu,

There is Oneway to make you happy you know;)

Chuck Beland
04-22-2006, 5:17 PM
Stu,
I've got the perfect answer. "GET BOTH" :D

Christopher K. Hartley
04-22-2006, 5:44 PM
Stu, if it were me I'd get the first and use the extra money for chucks and other stuff you will be needing. I like the looks of the cast legs on the first one also. I wouldn't do the delta. You are going to need the weight that it does not have. Just my thoughts.;)

Dick Strauss
04-22-2006, 11:36 PM
Stu,
I own the Delta 46-715 and am very happy with it. My decision was easy because I bought mine new for about $400 after rebate. It has its good and bad features. If you have any questions about this one, shoot me a PM and I'll give you the unbiased skinny on this machine.

No, I'm not a Delta employee!!!!

I also turn on a friend's PM3520A so I have a good feel for the differences. I'm not sorry I bought the Delta but boy is the PM nice!

Ernie Nyvall
04-23-2006, 9:58 AM
I really want to buy one more lathe, know what I mean?

With this being the case for me, I wanted to make sure of these things. Zero rpm startup, motor size/power/ turning radius for big bowls and an out board option, substantial tool rest base that would also match the turning radius, accessory availability, and enough length to do a table leg. I got the PM 3520. My .02.

Ernie

Dick Strauss
04-24-2006, 1:45 PM
Stu,
If I had the money, I'd get the PM 3520. I didn't have enough money, so I got the Delta 1440!

Don Baer
04-24-2006, 11:56 PM
Stu,
I had a metal Lathe that I was "making do" with for wood turning. I decided that I needed a better machine if I was ever to get any better so I bought what I felt was the most lathe I could afford at this time knowning full well that I may need to upgrade at sometime in the distant future. What I wanted was the biggest diameter I could get for bowls and the ability to do any size spindles. The lathe I have will do 12 inch bowls and spindles to 18" with the ability to add bed extensions very inexpensivly. Right know I have all of the lathe I need. Will I every get a bigger one ...Maybe..:rolleyes: . Will I ever get rid of the lateh lathe presently have. Proubly not.

For right now I feel that I have more machine then my talents can use so I am happy with the purchase.