PDA

View Full Version : Aww Crud......

Corey Hallagan
04-21-2006, 11:51 PM
Well guys I was bragging about my desert ironwood pen that I had made it was really the most beauitful pen Ihave made to date and the wood and the finish were awesome!! I was very proud of it. I let it cure while I was out this week travelling for work.
Well.... guess what Enstien did..... well he assembled it backwards so it wouldn't retract. Really made me mad. It still looked great just didn't retract like it should. My son talked me into taking it apart and starting over. Got it appart but trashed the finish doing so. Pretty upset with myself for doing assembling it backwards.
Oh well, there will be more.

On the bright side, i got my Stu/John Hart tag team effort in the mail as well. Awesome stuff Stuf, thanks to both of you! I really appreciate it.

corey

Rich Stewart
04-22-2006, 1:28 AM
They sure are hard to take apart, ain't they? I had one I put together wrong and cut my finger trying to get it apart. Took it apart with a pair of channel locks and a screwdriver. That's when I found out blood is not a good finish for pens. Tore up all the shiney parts. Quite a mess. Live and learn.

Barry Stratton
04-22-2006, 3:41 AM
I feel for you Corey!!! If it is apart, can't you put it back on your pen mandrel, spin, sand, and refinish???

Ken Fitzgerald
04-22-2006, 5:36 AM
Sorry Corey! But.......you're not the first person to do something like this. I"m betting I'll do it in the future! Doing stuff like this keeps my ego in check!

Corey Hallagan
04-22-2006, 10:00 AM
Thanks guys. Live and learn, I don't think I will do that again. Barry, I could do that but I scratched it pretty deep and it would not look right as it would not be flush with the bushings. Oh well. Onward and upward!

corey

Bernie Weishapl
04-22-2006, 10:00 AM
Hey Corey. Been there, done that. It is maddening especially when you feel you have did your finest work. I was going to ask the same question. Did it ruin the wood or just the finish. If just the finish, chuck it up and redo it. If it is the wood, wellllllllllllll. :mad:

Jim Ketron
04-22-2006, 12:04 PM
I think at one time or another we have all done that:o
Bet it wont happen again;)

Bruce Shiverdecker
04-22-2006, 1:52 PM
Didn't see anyone mention the TYPE of pen. I, too, have had problems where I had to dis-assemble a pen. There are kits available to do it, without hurting anything. Check PSI or any of the other pen kit suppliers. They should be able to help.

Bruce

Bob Noles
04-22-2006, 3:48 PM
Corey,

Bruce brings up a good point. A dis-assembly tool is nice to have on hand. I purchased one in the beginning and have only had to use it once, but that once sure paid for itself. :) Look around, I think they are like
$15-$20

Corey Hallagan
04-22-2006, 4:09 PM
Bruce and Bob thanks. It was a cigar pen. I will be getting a dissasembly took for slimlines and cigar pens soon as other problems can arrise but I don't plan on making that mistake again! I turned a cigar pen out of Thuya Burl today a beautiful burl all by itself and the finish is turning out just as good. I will assemble it slowly next week after it cures.

Corey