PDA

View Full Version : New saw setup Question

Joe Jensen
04-21-2006, 9:56 PM
I just received my new SawStop saw. The saw will be in a garage with a sloped floor. Should I level the saw, which will make one end higher above the floor than the other, or should I make it parallel to the floor? I do have a cross cut saw setup along one side of the garage and I chose to make that table top parallel to the floor. I started out planning to make it level, but one end was almost 2" higher than the other that way which made it hard to work there. With the table saw, if I make it level, then the right side of the saw will be 3/4 of an inch higher above the floor than the left. This is further complicated as the right side of the saw table will actually be the Powermatic shaper. Help...joe

Mark Rios
04-21-2006, 10:02 PM
For me Joe, I'd rather have the table level. The natural inclination for us (me anyway) is to compensate for uneven stuff and our bodies adjust for it. It would just seem awkward to slide the workpiece along while having to work against gravity. That's just me though.

Brad Schmid
04-22-2006, 12:05 AM
Joe,

I know I prefer to have the saw top level. That way, round stuff like chisels, awls, drill bits and pencils don't roll off onto the concrete floor when I'm using it as an additional work table. Hey, on second thought, maybe that's a good way to cure myself from leaving stuff laying on the saw top...:D

Cheers

Vaughn McMillan
04-22-2006, 1:23 AM
I also prefer level, but if it's going to be off, I'd rather have it front to back as opposed to side to side. My saw is mobile and my floor's not quite level, but it's not so far off as to be noticeable in normal use. I do, however, try to point the saw "downhill" if I use the saw out into the driveway (which has a bit more slope).

In your case, if you're planning for the saw to be stationary, I don't think 3/4" is too much to shim the base. Of course, that's my opinion...yours might be different. Of course you can try it both ways and see which feels better to you.

- Vaughn

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-22-2006, 7:12 AM
Your brain naturally seeks level not parallel to any given floor. Tilting the work surface is inherrently unsafe.

Ian Barley
04-22-2006, 7:26 AM
I worked on a slightly (about 2" in 8') sloping floor for 2 years. My TS was left to sit on the floor unleveled, having a slight slope side to side across the table. Can't say I even noticed it and sadly it wasn't enough to stop me putting stuff on top of it. Do whichever - in 2 weeks time you probably won't notice it.

Jim Becker
04-22-2006, 10:33 AM
The only surfaces in my shop that I actually leveled are my miter station (built-in) and my workbench. (shimmed) I didn't find it time effective to try and level any of the tools since they all move around occasionally. Early on, I had my saw at an angle to the slope, but all subsequent arrangements were either with the slope or across it. Since infeed/outfeed support follows the same plane, I haven't really had any issues with this in 6 years.

That all said, I'd love to level the floor...with wood.

Joe Jensen
04-23-2006, 3:26 AM
I just flattend the tops and left it unlevel. It's what I'm used to using anywhy. Sorry for the random question...joe

Vaughn McMillan
04-23-2006, 4:10 AM
...Sorry for the random question...joe
There are very few occasions where one needs to apologize for a question here...no need to say sorry in this case for sure. ;)

Let us know how you like the SawStop one you've made some dust with it. LOML tells me she'd love for me to buy "the hotdog saw".

- Vaughn

Rob Bodenschatz
04-23-2006, 11:58 AM
I just flattend the tops and left it unlevel. It's what I'm used to using anywhy. Sorry for the random question...joe

Aren't all questions random? :)

Don't apologize. I found the thread interesting.

jim chambers
04-24-2006, 10:00 PM
Joe,

I too found the thread interesting. What amazes me is that so many people can work on a floor that's not level.

I have a mobile shop, and tried working in it once without leveling it when doing a small job. I couldn't stand it, so I stopped after about an hour, and leveled it up. It just felt too weird trying to walk around in there, and it wasn't that far out of level either.

I guess you can get used to anything if you don't have another option handy.

regards,

jimc

David Giles
04-24-2006, 10:15 PM
Joe, I've tried it both ways and level is easier to achieve because you can use a level to setup the equipment. Adjusting tops to parallel a sloping floor is quite difficult I found.

Don't overthink leveling the Sawstop. Put a couple of wooden shims under three of the corners and call it good. It's too heavy to go anywhere.