PDA

View Full Version : refacing/repainting old kitchen cabinets

Bob Timms
04-21-2006, 8:56 PM
I started refacing/refinishing my painted kitchen cabinets about 4 years ago and had to stop because of my day job. Doing a restart now (day job went away). I'm refacing cab doors with MDF and routing raised panel type look. Finishing started with brushed latex/floetrol but I've never been able to get smooth enough. I have since aquired HVLP gun - PC PSH1 and have an adequate compressor. So I'm planning now to finish by spraying oil based paint for smoother finish (also repainting that originally covered with latex). However, after doing some reading in Jewitt's/Charron's Taunton's books I'm wondering if theres a better way - like adding tint to varnish ...? The color is a bright white (not off white). Any suggestions or direction is appreciated.

Thanks

Jim Becker
04-21-2006, 9:38 PM
Oil based is a good choice. Or...an acrylic, such as Target Coatings USL or Fuhr International 9100 or similar tinted to the color you want. My entire kitchen is done in the TC product and it still looks new after three years of use. Easy spray and easy clean-up, too. And no nasty fumes. (respirator is to keep particulates out when using these products rather than dealing with lots of harmful organics)

Steve Clardy
04-21-2006, 9:42 PM
You will probably need a 2.0 tip to spray that heavy paint with. Or thin it a lot.
Standard tip is a 1.5

Bob Timms
04-22-2006, 11:33 AM
Oil based is a good choice. Or...an acrylic, such as Target Coatings USL or Fuhr International 9100 or similar tinted to the color you want.
Thanks Jim,

Could you recommend a tint/dye for white also? I think I'll give the USL a tryout - it will be my first tinted acrylic.

You will probably need a 2.0 tip to spray that heavy paint with. Or thin it a lot.
Standard tip is a 1.5
Thanks Steve,

I also have the 2.0 and 2.2 tips.

Jim Becker
04-22-2006, 1:06 PM
USL is available in matte white "off the shelf" and they or a reseller, such as Homestead, can tint it to any color you need. The standard spray tip is just right for the USL. I used the matte white for my kitchen lowers and top coated with the satin USL (then PSL) for the desired sheen. I also top coated the Fuhr 9100 on the top cabs (a green color that matched a Behr swatch) with the TC clear to insure they had the same sheen as the lowers. Interiors were shot with the TC satin prior to assembly. (dados, rebates and grooves masked)

Bob Timms
04-22-2006, 5:16 PM
Thanks Jim. I'm going to go ahead and place an order with Homestead next week. BTW, since I'm going over both latex and oil I'll be using a primer - are the oil based ones from the borgs OK - and do they need to be thinned more than 10 percent or so for spraying?

Jim Becker
04-22-2006, 9:52 PM
I can't answer your question about spraying the primer, Bob...'never used it. I suggest you consider using the TC Emtech sealer after thoroughly cleaning and sanding the existing cabinety...ask Jeff Jewitt about it when you call Homestead or talk to Jeff Weiss at TC for his advice.